Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

What are the limitations on the sources that can be uploaded? Any? I mean, it would be crap if you dl'ed from another abandonware ring site and uploaded that package to Abandonia. That would be grossly 'impolite', to say the least.

If there are any limitations, any don'ts, it would be nice to know.
Old 31-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Well, we have no way of finding out if you did that.

Everything taken into account, it appears the only limitations are about virus'd or corrupt archives.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

If you are talking about size - that limit (the last time I checked) was 75 MBs for one game. (Non-VIP). There are some games that are on the site that are bigger than that, but they need to be reeeeaaally good
Old 31-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
guesst
Abandonia Homie

So, if I understand you correctly MM, you'd prefer if every archive that Abandonia hosted was somehow exclusivly collected and packaged for Abandonia from original sources and by dedicated Abandonieers.

While that sounds fine and dandy, I think it has a few little problems. One, original sources are not always available. Two, the few people with stock piles of original sources would, no doubt, grow tired of repackaging stuff that could just as easily be found cracked and packaged elsewhere. Three, what does it matter if the archive we host is identical to the one hosted on undergods or XTC, or anywhere else. Not everyone visits every site, these sites (or this one) may not be around forever, so what's wrong with spreading around the love?

My two hundrethds of a dollar on the subject.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 31-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

A bit of sarcasm there? What I meant was, since I know very little of the whole abandonware community, I personally think that dl from say, HOTU, or anyone else living in the same street, would perhaps be seen as, well not exactly a declaration of war , then at least impolite. I figured that you'll find the same titles as being hosted by Abandonia's 'friends' elsewhere. It isn't as much a 'don't' as a 'hmm, let them at least know I'm handing it over'. It doesn't kill you to be decent about it, even though you don't have to walk all over to the pathetic side.

Anyway, as you may have read, I also asked for all sorts of limitations. Size is one.
Old 31-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

This would be Kosta's decission. As far as I know there is no such limitation about the source, I think there are a few examples of games already hosted here which were taken from another source not a purchased copy, and I don't think they're interpreted like anything hostile.
Old 31-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
guesst
Abandonia Homie

A bit of sarcasm, yes. I appologize if I offended.

As I understand it there are no hard a fast rules. No Dos or Don'ts on size or that sort of thing. If an archive is too big, generally, Kosta won't let it get hosted.

And yes, it could be impolite if we enmass mooched the archives from other sites, wrote reviews for them, and posted them on our site. But then again, the reviews are really what makes Abadonia different. So even if the archives are occasionaly identical, this site has something a little different as it's draw.

Most of the upper muck-a-mucks of Abandonia are friendly with the upper muck-a-mucks of other abandonware sites. It's probably nothing to worry about.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 31-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Ok then (and no offence taken. I'm too ignorant to notice LOL)
Old 31-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Actually this matter have been discussed several times between the different AW webmasters on the scene.

In the past, taking an archive from another site - would result in that site starting a vendetta against you. Back in the day, there was a huge rivalry between the sites.

Nowadays, a lot of webmasters have come to realize that the whole point of the AW scene, is to preserve the games. And to do so, they should be spread out as much as possible. As a result it is actually encouraged to take games from different sites and collect them on your own.

What isn't allowed, is stealing screenshots, reviews and manuals - unless you get written permission of the owner. The different reviews, screenshots, and extras are what makes each site unique - and is the sweat and blood of the owner/updater.

Stealing that from another site in the scene, is a good way to blacklisted by every single AW site out there.

*And off this topic goes to Site Comments - as it isn't a game request*
Old 31-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

I guess an AW site could enjoy some pride and rivalry against other ones, but the whole AW stuff is non-profit, if not it would equal selling some other pirated stuff for profit, even if the copyrights are abandoned.