Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I was pretty happy to be able to grab Conquest of the New World Deluxe Edition on Ebay for about 20 bucks (Yeah, I finnaly got over my fear of using my credit card... <_<). Unfortunatly for me, it seems that I have a lot of trouble to make it run properly now that I actually have the game packaged in a nice original box with a strategy guide and the manual etc etc...

So far, the only thing which worked is DOSBox. 0.63 works slowly at around 14k cycles on my 2 gig machine. 0.61 works slightly smoother but even slower. DOSBox doesn't seem to be fast enough since the movies and the intro slutter and lag.

When trying to use VDMSound, Windows crash telling me it encountered an error running the game so it need to close. The game doesn't work at all with any compatibility options thus far without the help of VDMSound (at least with VDMSound the game try to innitialize itself before crashing).

Any help on making this game run right on my machine or make it run smoother and/or faster with DOSBox would be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 AM   #2
Veloxi

Using D-Fend, the best way I could get the game to run was to set the CPU core to Dynamic and to get at least 15000 CPU cycles going. Set the video card to VGA. Even then it's somewhat jerky, but it runs well enough. Wonderful game.
Veloxi is offline                         Send a private message to Veloxi
Old 12-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Are you sure it doesn't work under windows?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 13-07-2005, 02:19 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Positive. It's the DOS Deluxe version.
Old 31-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
kevster48

I just bought this game as well and also can't get it to run. I tried all the compatbility settings with XP and all the variations of sound card, settings etc., and I've even tried to run it under Dosbox but in all cases I never get past the game selection screen. The intros all run (usually slowly) and after I select "tutorial" and enter my name (or even leave default name) the game CTD. Any suggestions?
kevster48 is offline                         Send a private message to kevster48
Old 01-09-2005, 05:50 AM   #6
Honkers

I never managed to get it to run on Win98. Good luck!