Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-09-2005, 11:19 PM   #11
Fanton

I think that the beauty of this game is that there are so many things you CAN'T do. For example selecting multiple units. It is annoying in the beginning, but once you start selecting units manually it comes naturally. Things that come easy are nice in the beginning but then you get bored fast. Dune 2 is a very very good game.

I've read most of the posts. Here are my suggestions

Atreides:
Contrary to what people say, they have more technologies than anyone else. They have three specials: sonic tank, ornithopter, and fremen. (three specials)

I think atreides don't have troopers, but I am not shure.

The sonic tank shoots faster when the game speed is higher. I think this has never been fixed.

Build walls around the Repair Facility so that no unit can be dropped out directly. The carryall will carry the unit back after is repaired.

Don't send fremens one at a time, wait until you have several troops (5,6) then attack. They will do massive damage. Try to put fremens over rocks so that tanks cannot squash them. The worms rarely kill fremens since they are invisible. Most of the atreides units are less likely to get killed by worms.

Harkonnen:
They have a lot of firepower. The nicest thing is the palace and the deathhand missle (i think is called). I never played Harkonnen too much, it was too easy, so I never really used deathand missle too much.

Devastator is good, but takes forever to move. Do not leave devastator near your own base, when they die, they will kill your own units. If devastator is on red, and you cannot repair it, move it out of the crows, otherwise you will loose more units.

Ordos:
Ordos only have two specials, the saboteur and the deviator. The ornithopter it is taken from starport and it's not their own tech, the same with seige tank. So Ordos have the fewest technologies. I'm not shure if Atriedes or Ordos miss the trooper and/or quads.

The raider sucks but is fast. Use it for scouting.

The startport is your main place here. They have sige tanks and ornithopters in the startport.

The deviator tank is not that great. But you can use it to steal units permanently. I am not shure how, but if you steal an injured unit and repair it, you might convert that unit permanently. I am not shure though.

You can use a deviator to steal an enemy harvester and take it's spice. Your carryall will think the harvester is ready to go and will take it, drop it to your base, take the spice, and put it back, and several seconds later the harvester returns to the enemy side :P You can see how full a harvester is by clicking on it, and looking in the info area, will say something like "75% full and harvesting." It does that for your and the enemy harvesters.

Game in general:
Do not scout in the beginning of the game. Let them attack you. After you find their base they will sends throngs of units.

Always build bases on concrete slabs, they will deteriorate slower, and less to repair in the end.

Try to harvers fields that are father away first, and leave the ones closer to you for the end of the game. This will make the enemy bring their harvester near your base, and you can easily kill their crops.

Always attack silos first. Try to capture silos or refineries because you will get their spice into your pool. If you managed to capture a refinery quickly spend all you have, if they destroy it or get it back, you have lost no spice. You get credits if you kill their refineries or silos.

Turrents don't work without power. So destroying all their generators will put their entire base to a halt. I am not shure about this, but I think turrets will stop working if they don't have power. Althogh I am not shure.

Enemies rarely destroy walls. Try to create a bunch of walls to guide their movements. For example have five turrets concentrated to one place, and walls that lead to that area.

The AI always attacks in this order (or somewhat) the Startport first, the Heavy Factory or Hi-Tech Factory second, and the Light Factory last. They don't care about other stuff.

Every time you build something important the enemy will attack by droping units behind your base. It's actually based on time as well. Sometimes your carryalls may drop enemy units, or the other way around. Same with units that have been "deviated."

You can banish worms by killing them. You don't actually kill a worm, it only goes away reappearing after some time. When it comes back, it will be faster and meaner. If you do that so many times, the worm becomes extra fast. On the other hand, you can feed the worm cheap units. After a worm consumes a couple of units it will create a bump of spice. Shoot that and you have more spice. It's called spice boom (the announcer says "spice boom located").

Heavy weaponry destroys spice, so don't fight over spice areas with heavy tanks. The spice squares will be gone forever.

If you can reach the enemy base then extend squares and build a turret near their base. The turrets don't kill one another, but they only kill bases or units. You could ask your turret to attack the enemy one, and I think the other will not retaliate. If you build a turet over where an enemy one was, the enemy cannot rebuild, or your turret might spontaneously go on the enemy's side.