Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Lightweight Linux Distro

Hello folks,

I've been very disappointed last week when I installed the latest Ubuntu release, numbered 11.04 and had a message presented to me saying the equialent of "Your computer has deprecated". Their new user interface, or whatever you call it, "Unity" is too resource demanding. It lags as hell, to put it quickly. I can't even imagine what GNOME3 will need, since even GNOME2.6 had to be run in "safe mode" (every desktop effect turned off), and KDE had my PC sweat blood aswell. Before burning several disks for booting various distros without a point, I ask your help to find a reliable Linux variant for me.
I don't need it to do any kind of magic, I just want it to be able to browse the internet (excluding flash videos, as I know they just don't work on my PC from under Ubuntu), and maybe run some simple tools for coding. There's just only one thing I ask, if anyone has a particular distro in mind: I wouldn't like to install an old version of a distro. I've been using Linux more or less frequently since Ubuntu 9.10, and I can clearly remember it had serious flaws which they only repaired in the next versions.
Any ideas?

P.S.: I'm running Win XP and Ubuntu from two separate HDDs in dual boot mode via GRUB2, so the Linux OS could have app. 64 GBs of space to use. I could provide other info about my PC, but think of it as a Pentium 4 class piece of crap.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker