Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
red_avatar
Administrator

Lightbulb Ideas for interesting articles?

Everyone is invited to throw some ideas into this topic.
My ideas:

A VERSUS article (already written one) where a modern and an old game are put side to side. Compare the two, explain what made the old game so good, check to see how the modern game has changed (in approach, not just the technological improvements), etc.

A "longplay" article where someone writes about his/her experiences with a favorite game which (s)he has played for a long time. (This was actually an old idea of mine that inspired a similar article in PC Gamer UK magazine - seems all my complaining to them that they needed some retro content paid off ). In any case, it would be perfect for AT.

Interviews: this will be harder and take more work but we *could* hunt down developers of old games. Since I bet a lot of these old developers have pursued other jobs since then, it might be possible to hunt them down. We don't have to go for the big guns like Ron Gilbert or Romero but we can go for the underdog developers. Al Lowe for example. This would simply mean sending them a list of questions for them to answer.

A retro hardware article: this is an interesting bit. Hardware has changed so much since then and it would be nice to write about the changes. For example, compare CGA to VGA/SVGA (with plenty of screenshots) and about what changes it's brought about. Or about soundcards - from PC speaker to Adlib to Sound Blaster. Or even monitors, printers, mice, keyboards, CD drives, floppy drives, etc. Not just the boring technical side but especially the human side: stories about your first sound card, about when you first used a mouse, etc.

Funny screenshots: Well it's obvious: make or find funny moments in games or write captions for screenshots.

Any more ideas? Shoot!

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar