Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
dkw
Forum hobbit

Default D6 Series

West End Games, now extinct, had made a easy to use and totally customizable series of Role Playing Games called the D6 System.
In 2008, West End Games closed its doors forever.
In 2009, Eric Gibson of West End Games decided to release the D6 System books as FREE to download PDF files for anyone who wants them.
At the beginning of 2010, the West End Games website went down permenantly.

For any who are interested, here is where you can get them, totally LEGAL and FREE.

http://www.polgarusgames.com/download-page

There are 3 Core Rule Books, each its own seperate game that does NOT need the other two.
D6 Fantasy, D6 Adventure, D6 Space.
All the other books are supplements to add more flavor, depth, and tools to make anything you can imagine.
The D6 Magic book is very helpful for both players and game masters who are using D6 Fantasy and/or D6 Adventure.
Keep in mind that these are PDF files, so you need something to open PDF files like Adobe Reader.

I really enjoy the system, and I believe it is far superior to Dungeons and Dragons, and its clones.
Almost limitless customization of characters, magic, starships, whatever you can imagine, you can create with ease. Very little bookkeeping which allows everyone to focus on the game instead of on the numbers that have been written on paper, and you only need 1 type of die, the six sided die that the system is named after.

If you enjoy playing pen and paper role playing games with your friends and/or relatives, I do hope you give this system a shot.

If you have never played a pen and paper role playing game before because it looks intimidating, or requires you to memorize the entire book before you can play, then this is also the game for you. Very little memorizing required, and written for beginners and intermediate players to quickly learn and begin playing.

If you do find this game system enjoyable, spread the word so that this title will not disappear into obscurity, even if it never goes beyond your kitchen table.
Old 26-05-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I never liked the D6 games, being a huge fan of D20 games, though since I don't have to pay I might give it a look.

I think I remember these books being advertised in Dungeon/Dragon magazines.

Otherwise thank you Cait for these books.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 26-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
dkw
Forum hobbit

Have you ever wanted to cast ALL your spells At Will?
Have you ever wanted to play a Fighter/Wizard who was the equal in all respects to a Pure Fighter AND a Pure Wizard?
Have you ever wanted a Barbarian who knew more about EVERYTHING then the party Wizard or Bard?
Have you ever wanted a Fighter to have Rogue Skill Points and Class Skills?
Have you ever wanted a Wizard with Hit Points equal to a Barbarian's?
Have you ever wanted to be a Vampire who was IMMUNE to Sunlight?
Have you ever wanted to play a Wizard in Full Plate WITHOUT it hindering his spells or speed?

All of the above, AND MORE, is completely possible, balanced, and limited only by your imagination.
Old 26-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkw View Post
Have you ever wanted to cast ALL your spells At Will?
Have you ever wanted to play a Fighter/Wizard who was the equal in all respects to a Pure Fighter AND a Pure Wizard?
Have you ever wanted a Barbarian who knew more about EVERYTHING then the party Wizard or Bard?
Have you ever wanted a Fighter to have Rogue Skill Points and Class Skills?
Have you ever wanted a Wizard with Hit Points equal to a Barbarian's?
Have you ever wanted to be a Vampire who was IMMUNE to Sunlight?
Have you ever wanted to play a Wizard in Full Plate WITHOUT it hindering his spells or speed?

All of the above, AND MORE, is completely possible, balanced, and limited only by your imagination.
90% of what you said there is game-breakingly unbalanced

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 26-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
dkw
Forum hobbit

It is game breaking in Dungeons and Dragons.

It is not game breaking in D6, as the entire system is built with such concepts in mind.

You can literally design any character type you want without it breaking the system.
You can legally start off as "Immortal." You give up other things, but you are Immortal.
Old 27-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I still like my D20 Modern, it has a great system and is easy to understand. I might try out D6 but all the ads it used to get in Dungeon/Dragon never got me all hyped up like D&D or D20 every did.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 27-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
esgmaster
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomekk View Post
90% of what you said there is game-breakingly unbalanced
Vampires were originally immune to sunlight, but they didn't get any powers unless it was the night...
esgmaster is offline                         Send a private message to esgmaster
Old 27-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
dkw
Forum hobbit

I have played D20 Modern, and despite its jump away from the standard copy of D&D, I still feel D6 Adventure is a step above.

The reason none of what I mentioned is game breaking is (compared to D&D):
No Class / Level System
No Base Attack
No Fortitude, Reflex, Will Saves (Defense for 4th Edition)
No Armor Class
No Hit Points (if you choose Wound Levels)
No Useless Experience Points

The big thing is NO CLASS SYSTEM. Without that, it opens up nearly endless customization of characters. You can make anything and everything you have ever wanted because you don't need to confrom to a pre-set belief of what Wizards are, Fighters are, Street Thugs are, etc.

I have played D&D a long time, and played with some hardcore D&D people. After just 1 session playing with this system, they feel that they are playing their characters MORE and doing LESS math and bookkeeping. They feel MORE connected to their characters because they could customize them any way they wanted at creation instead of forcing their idea into a pre-made mold.
Old 27-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Strangly none of that makes me want to play the game more. I will have a look at this game as I have said, ease up on the pitch about how great it is and let us have a look at it. No one likes having a game stuffed down their throats.
Old 27-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
dkw
Forum hobbit

Sorry if it feels like I am forcing you.
I was just trying to show how it was different from D&D and D20 Modern, as there is very little it shares with them other then themes.

If you don't like it then don't play it.
All I ask is that you give it 1 shot. Make 2 characters, have them do something either with or against each other, and then decide. It won't cost you anything more then your time and effort.

I will help if anyone has questions, or whatever.