Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #31
Cosmonaut_Roger
Abandonia nerd

Well I'm not claiming that these are good games, but I found them mildly amusing and they are defintetly Horror Themed FPS games:

Chasm: The Rift http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/chasm-the-rift
This game was released around the time of Quake, so it was one of the first 3d FPS games on the market. It had 3d enemies but 2d backgrounds, so it was kind of awkward. It was also one of the first FPS games to feature hit detection where you could blast off limbs and heads. Despite this, it was full of bugs and pretty generic.

Requiem Avenging Angel http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...avenging-angel
I really really liked this game. You play an angel sent to battle human populations that have been possesed by evil angels on the rampage and you also battle these evil angels. You possess both angelic powers and normal FPS weapons. And let me tell you, the angelic powers are brilliant. They range from healing yourself to turning enemies into pillars of salt to resurrecting fallen enemies to fight alongside you. This, IMO, is the most fun power in the entire game. I loved mowing down hordes of enemies, and then resurrecting them to have a veritable army of minions to go through the level with. I routinely had battles of 10 of my minions vs 10 other bad guys. It was fun to just duck out of the room and listen to the carnage and then go in and see who won after the noise stops. Awsome game.

The Thing http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/thing
While not an FPS, its close. Its basically a third person or first person action game based on the movie The Thing. You can't get much more horor than that.
Cosmonaut_Roger is offline                         Send a private message to Cosmonaut_Roger
Old 08-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #32
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
You can't get much more horor than that.[/b]
Four words:
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

It's brilliant. I thought myself fairly immune... and yet, there are parts in this game that totally freaked me out.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 08-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #33
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 8 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]273860[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
Four words:

It's brilliant. I thought myself fairly immune... and yet, there are parts in this game that totally freaked me out.
[/b]
The Ghost-Mansion is still haunting me mg2:

But beside that it wasn't THAT scary.

F.E.A.R. is probably the scariest shooter I ever played. I mean, I always hated ventilation shafts (damn you, Half-Life), but this was just cruel xD

Oh, and F.E.A.R taught me a new...fear...for ladders.

Damn that girl xD
Don Andy is offline                         Send a private message to Don Andy
Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #34
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The haunted hotel I admit was scary - but not that much scary as some parts later in the game. Remember looking for Nosferatu warrens?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #35
Cosmonaut_Roger
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 8 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]273860[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
Four words:

[/b]
How were the bugs in that game? The only reason I never bought Bloodlines was due to the outcry that the game was filled with horrible bugs that could even be game stopping at times. Did they ever get resolved through official or fan patches? That game looked so cool, but all the reviews just seemed to focus on the bugs.
Cosmonaut_Roger is offline                         Send a private message to Cosmonaut_Roger
Old 10-01-2007, 05:02 AM   #36
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cosmonaut_Roger @ Jan 10 2007, 03:27 AM) [snapback]274110[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 8 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]273860[/snapback]
Quote:
Quote:
Four words:

[/b]
How were the bugs in that game? The only reason I never bought Bloodlines was due to the outcry that the game was filled with horrible bugs that could even be game stopping at times. Did they ever get resolved through official or fan patches? That game looked so cool, but all the reviews just seemed to focus on the bugs.
[/b][/quote]

There was a inofficial fan-patch, that resolved some bugs, but yes, besides that it IS pretty buggy, and we'll probably never see a patch, because Troica (if that were their name) was gone shortly after the release. Also, the loading times can sometimes seem a bit long (depending on your computer).

Besides that however, it's an incredible awesome game. In my opinion, that is.
Don Andy is offline                         Send a private message to Don Andy
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #37
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It's fairly resource-heavy. The patches apparently do help a bit, though.

Bugs are just bugs, meh. What matters is the game - and THAT totally rocks!

-- Reed Richards
Old 12-01-2007, 02:38 AM   #38
mglsharkson

My favs -

Undying - great all over!

Quake I - love that devil stuff!

Doom I / 2 - same - got to have a sense of humour!

Doom 3 - late at night had to stop playing at times, too intensive! Lot of monsters jumping out at you.

HL 1 & 2 - 2 was WAY to short, 1 had GREAT story, surpises, zombies / aliens / scientist hybreds plus Barney ; ) - remember the goverment forces!

Half Life 1 - They Hunger (file planet free mod) the openning church, graveyard and catacombs, the music and lighting really got to me had to play with a light on!
" " - Hearts of Darkness - Vietnam meets zombies meets Cooplia! Zany and fun, free mod, not scary pure say but wacky and addicting. Nice movie tie in!

Alice - wierd and wacky, puzzles and jumping that I can handle at my age. Note the Load Save Delete screen (LSD), my buddy pointed it out., clever. A underdog in my book.

System shock 2 - never finish this game (hard drive crash), the respawning wore me down, had to use cheats at time because I miss something early on in the game, still I plan to finish this bad boy. Good to play late at night...

Silent Hill 2 - lot's of puzzles (thank god for walkthrus on the web!), those zombies out of the fog get to you. Another I got to finish... BTW check out the tie-in movie on DVD, love Pyramind head, similar but different storyline as the game, check out IMDB for the discussion on what he movie really is about...

Waiting for some horro / zombie mods for HL2 like HL one mention above - remakes, anybody??

The underdogs have the Legacy- realm of terror and Realms of the haunting (abandonware) runs fine under DOSBOX. Should take some time on this games for me to finish.

The Prisioner old BASIC game base (Apple 2, Atari 8 bit) base on the show not scary but plays head games on you - keyboard keys for moving change on you, forward says NORTH, etc. Different puzzles including one that threatens to reformat your hard drive at one point by not giving up the answer and you got to cheat to finish the game! Never seen a game like that. Off topic I know....

Anyway enough for now

M
Old 14-01-2007, 05:33 AM   #39
Moonypond

Maybe not a FPS but a third person shooter adventure, action horror game called Shadow Man. It seems not many people know of the game unfortunately but GameSpot seems to still have a good community of players. Made back in 1999 it's not abandonware (not like it will ever be at 700+MB) but still sold at CDAccess. Also it's requirements are low and it works on XP (even in Win95). I reckon it's one of my favourite games with a great story line, graphics and sound effects. Pretty weird that it comes on N64 considering it is mature for "violence, gore, profanity, implied sexual situations and psychological scares."
Freaky music too It even has Jack the Ripper starring in it!
Moonypond is offline                         Send a private message to Moonypond
Old 14-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #40
mglsharkson

Going to hunt down Shadow Man - thanks for the tip! From playing the stipped down HOTU Realm of the Haunting I decided to buy used off E Bay - 4 cd's long! I still have Sanitarium & Phastamorgia (5 cds here!) to play.

Add The Sufferring to my list, finish it a few months ago. Not so svary but did enjoy flashbacks sequences and the crazy hybred monsters roaming the walls. Glad I read a walkthru and was able to access the prequel level (spoiler alert!) by stepping(!) on the bird - hearing the director talk about the game and why he cut this sequence. Also on the discs was a 30 min show on haunted prisons which I found of interest. I almost miss that too, found it by poking around on the disc!

For late night scaryness Doom 3 and HLone- they hunger still is top billing!!

M