Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #21
Urban fox

Hmmm, I wast hoping it would be a turn based strategy game where you fight as NATO or the Warsaw Pact in Central Europe.
Urban fox is offline                         Send a private message to Urban fox
Old 13-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #22
theamazingjex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregisteredd View Post
The game works, but now I don't know what key to press to confirm an acoustic signature. It's not on the keyboard overlay in the PDF. Enter doesn't work. Shift+enter doesn't work. The manual says to "hold down the Vessel Signatures key [which is shift?] while pressing the Confirm Choice key [which is apparently not enter?]." I've tried most key combinations that aren't marked and nothing seems to work.
In the acoustic signatures menu, press <shift>+the letter of the craft you suspect. This will put that profile above the signature composite you have. Then press enter to check if the signature for that contact matches your guess. If it does, the contact identity is assigned, otherwise, your CAS profile goes back to 0% (resulting in a lost contact if signal strength is below tracking.)

In difficulties below ultimate, craft will automatically be identified once your solution gets high enough. Also, at any difficulty you can identify ships by going to 55 ft and using the periscope with F4. Rapidly pressing "c" in periscope view allows you to cycle through all ships you have any solution on, identifying them and boosting your solution up to 99%. I'll use this at distances of about 20ky.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:02 AM   #23
Old-Timer
Default AWESOME MEMORIES!

My buddies and I used to play this game and Gunship on the C64 for hours at a time!
We each had a profile saved and would compete by taking turns as the sub commander. Seeing this is really just a single player game and there were three of us who wanted to play the game together cooperatively (this was before the days of LAN gaming) we devised our own method to turn this monsterous game into a multiplayer.
I had one of those airsoft revolvers that shot out these spring-loaded plastic shots. There were only six of them that could be loaded at a time and the gun looked very real (you wouldn't be able to get by with this or even buy this toy pistol now in today's "P.C." world). [Now, don't try this next part at home kiddies -- this was over twenty years ago]
One of us would take turn as the sub commander and would be in charge of issuing commands. The sub commander was not allowed to touch the computer controls at all and would watch the action take place over the shoulders of his two crewmen. The other two players would each take a role as a crewman. One in charge of weapons systems and sonar and the other in charge of navigation and countermeasures. So you had two guys sharing the keyboard and the way it divided up really worked out well. Then you had the commander barking out orders. Crewmen were not allowed to disobey a direct command but they could offer suggestions and recommendations to the commander. If a crewman was disobedient he was "shot" with a plastic pellet and would be immediately replaced by another crewman played by the same player. If a crewman were "retired" by the last shot from the commander's weapon then that player was out of the game altogether and the captain would then have the choice to either turn total control of the sub over to the remaining player or he could take the place of the retired player himself.
We did kind of the same thing with Gunship. Let me tell you, it was a blast and we had some very memorable moments that we all three still recall to this day even though we don't get to see one another nearly as often as we used to back then. To this day, one of the guys still has the nickname "Ceasefire" because everytime he took to the air in Gunship he would open fire on friendly targets by mistake and the C64 version would flash a message on the screen which read "Ceasefire! Friendly troops have been hit!" We'd yell out "Hey, Ceasefire! They're talking to you!" Good times! :-)

Old 10-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #24
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Timer View Post
My buddies and I used to play this game and Gunship on the C64 for hours at a time!
We each had a profile saved and would compete by taking turns as the sub commander. Seeing this is really just a single player game and there were three of us who wanted to play the game together cooperatively (this was before the days of LAN gaming) we devised our own method to turn this monsterous game into a multiplayer.
I had one of those airsoft revolvers that shot out these spring-loaded plastic shots. There were only six of them that could be loaded at a time and the gun looked very real (you wouldn't be able to get by with this or even buy this toy pistol now in today's "P.C." world). [Now, don't try this next part at home kiddies -- this was over twenty years ago]
One of us would take turn as the sub commander and would be in charge of issuing commands. The sub commander was not allowed to touch the computer controls at all and would watch the action take place over the shoulders of his two crewmen. The other two players would each take a role as a crewman. One in charge of weapons systems and sonar and the other in charge of navigation and countermeasures. So you had two guys sharing the keyboard and the way it divided up really worked out well. Then you had the commander barking out orders. Crewmen were not allowed to disobey a direct command but they could offer suggestions and recommendations to the commander. If a crewman was disobedient he was "shot" with a plastic pellet and would be immediately replaced by another crewman played by the same player. If a crewman were "retired" by the last shot from the commander's weapon then that player was out of the game altogether and the captain would then have the choice to either turn total control of the sub over to the remaining player or he could take the place of the retired player himself.
We did kind of the same thing with Gunship. Let me tell you, it was a blast and we had some very memorable moments that we all three still recall to this day even though we don't get to see one another nearly as often as we used to back then. To this day, one of the guys still has the nickname "Ceasefire" because everytime he took to the air in Gunship he would open fire on friendly targets by mistake and the C64 version would flash a message on the screen which read "Ceasefire! Friendly troops have been hit!" We'd yell out "Hey, Ceasefire! They're talking to you!" Good times! :-)
LOL. One strategically placed plastic pellet behind the ear probably did the trick, right?
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 21-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
laughingonion
Lurker

Default How can I get RSR???

I have been searching EVERYWHERE for Red Storm Rising. I can download emulators & dos versions of every other old game I like (Pirates! Nobunga's Ambition, Shadowrunner), but this game eludes me. Everything I download is a bunk zip file OR I get redirected to a site that asks for my credit card & doesn't even have the game. Where are y'all finding this & can someone give me a link?? Thank you!!
laughingonion is offline                         Send a private message to laughingonion
Old 21-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
Japo
Autonomous human

You just have to go to the first post on the first page of this thread, there's this link ("review and download"):

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/48...rm+Rising.html

To download click on the "get it" button (twice). And don't worry when you're asked about donating, it's voluntary!

If you don't know how to make it work, take a look at these tutorials:

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17497
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17498
Old 23-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
canman4pm
Lurker

Default Newbie

Hi guys, it's great to find others who loved this game as much as I did. I ran my copy on a 486 PC back in the day and have just rediscovered that I can run it on a DOS sim on my modern computer. Imagine my excitement!

One problem: control. My DOS sim is Boxer, which runs the game fine on my Mac, running OS 10.8, but I have one issue: The commands keys. I've downloaded the various manuals you guys have on file here, including the old keyboard templates. All the number and shift and shift=# keys work just fine. I can load and fire weapons, increase/decrease speed, etc. And the bottom row keys (z-/) work just fine, as well. But none of the function (nor the shift-function) keys work at all. They still do "Mac" stuff - dim my display, change volume, etc. The esc key doesn't work either. Basically I can't change my main displays, do acoustical signature stuff, change depth, set course (other than with rudder commands), etc.

This takes a ton of fun out of the game. Any solutions?

Thanks in advance
canman4pm is offline                         Send a private message to canman4pm
Old 23-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

CTRL+F1 to open up DOSBox keymapper (Boxer is not an emulator, just a frontend for DOSBox)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #29
Sunburn

Question

Are you guys using a 5.25 drive on an old machine to load the game or did they come out with a CD version or???

thanks
Sunburn is offline                         Send a private message to Sunburn
Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #30
Japo
Autonomous human

You can play this game on your computer with emulator software, no need for any special hardware. See my previous post four above for instructions.