Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #2991
crwydryny

I just reciently found out some great news. appariently a company known as nightbird games are in the process of remaking UFO enemy unknown under the new name ufo cydonia's fall. from what i've seen it's the first true successor to the X-com name. with all the aliens, weapons and images from the original game recreated with better graphics.
if you're intrested look here
I can't wait until it's out. *jumps about like a sugar hyped kid on christmas morning* it even has the choice of isometric and first person modes so you can realy feel like you're an x-com trooper sneaking amoung farm buildings while trying to advoid being shot by a floater sniper on the roof of a building accross the map. I'm just hoping it lives up to the original as from what I've seen it has some great potential
crwydryny is offline                         Send a private message to crwydryny
Old 14-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #2992

is there any way to destroy ufo hull?i die waiting for them to come out

Old 14-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #2993
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 14 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]316044[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]
Try to destroy it with Blaster Bomb. Other Weapon are to weak to penetrate UFO Wall/Hull. Even with Blaster it is no guarantee for working...

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 14-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #2994
Tervez
Never Compromise

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paco @ Oct 14 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]316045[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 14 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]316044[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
Try to destroy it with Blaster Bomb. Other Weapon are to weak to penetrate UFO Wall/Hull. Even with Blaster it is no guarantee for working...
[/b][/quote]
I think that a heavy plasma might be able to break it too, but the chances for that happening are quite small.

Edit: The link crwydryny posted is very interesting indeed, I just registered at their forums.
Tervez is offline                         Send a private message to Tervez
Old 14-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #2995
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tervez @ Oct 14 2007, 04:21 PM) [snapback]316058[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I think that a heavy plasma might be able to break it too, but the chances for that happening are quite small.
[/b]
Yes, but changes are very small.
Only few particular section of the ufo's can be targeted with plasma and be broken down successfully... and not always :angry:
If i remember well, some of the corner section of some ufo's type (not all the ufo) and some "special" section (special because are so strange that you need to fire at random millions time to found it :tai: ).
All of this only if sections are already weakened by the ufo's crash itself or nearest explosions (blaster or alien grenades only)... and finally, even if all of this succedes, sometimes you can broke down the section with a single shot or with dozen and dozen of shots, if you are lucky
Incappucciato d'Ombra is offline                         Send a private message to Incappucciato d'Ombra
Old 14-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #2996
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

It is not worth blowing up the UFO walls to try to surprise aliens anyways. The best way to get the aliens by surprise is to catch them out of TU at end of turn so they can't react fire at you when you move in your own turn.

This is way easier to do if you act fact and swift in an intact UFO. In doubt, use grenades. The range is lower indoor, but it's still effective when you throw them around corners.

Best, safer way to deal with all the aliens swiftly is to fire blaster rockets in the command areas. It depend which kind of UFO you gunned down, but the smaller one often have small holes at the roof where the engine(s) exploded. If you don't care about salvaging anything and don't mind blowing things up, you can always send a missile thru the opening in the command center. Grenades can work out too if the hole is big enough, but sometimes it's only one tile wide.
Old 15-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #2997
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

does it really matter if you destroy alien stuff on the map? i somehow remember demolishing the whole sub with guided torpedoes and still getting stuff in the end of mission...
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 15-10-2007, 08:41 AM   #2998
Tervez
Never Compromise

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Oct 15 2007, 08:36 AM) [snapback]316212[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
does it really matter if you destroy alien stuff on the map? i somehow remember demolishing the whole sub with guided torpedoes and still getting stuff in the end of mission...
[/b]
I'd say so, if you blast their engine for example, you wont get that thing salvaged.
Tervez is offline                         Send a private message to Tervez
Old 15-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #2999
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

It does make a considerable difference.
- If the UFO doesn't have a hole in the roof (e.g. a landed UFO as opposed to one you shot down), the engines should be intact which will give you precious elerium at the end of the mission. Destroying the engine will deprive you of that elerium.
- Alien weapons and equipment lying around in the UFO can get blown up by your grenades / blaster launcher, as well as alien corpses (I don't care much about corpses except early in the game to boost my income, but weapons always come in handy).

You can still chuck grenades through the hole in the roof if it's 1 tile wide - you just have to experiment until you choose the appropriate tile on the ground level that will allow your soldier to throw the grenade.
Old 15-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #3000
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Destroying the engine will deprive you of that elerium.[/b]
Some engines leave Elerium crystals when destroyed.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman