Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Might and Magic 6-9

Ok, call me lazy, but I could no find a live forum for these games (actually, for Mandate of Heaven, but you know...), but maybe abandonia can handle

Long time passed since I played any of them, but as summer comes, I blew away the dust from my old things, and pulled out this series. I plan on playing with Mandate of Heaven (part 6) with four knight!

So, if any of you have some suggestion for that, or you played with that kind of group, please fill me with details - or just discuss these good old games.

Oh, and if anyone finds meaning to the flute in MM6 (everyone says it is useless, and the "white goblin" seems to be a red herring), let me know it! Until that, make New Sorpigal's volcano erupt by touching that bouy.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 24-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

the Flute has no meaning in MM6. Perhaps it was meant for a Quest which got removed before the Game got published?

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 24-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
the Flute has no meaning in MM6. Perhaps it was meant for a Quest which got removed before the Game got published?
Or for reaching the NWC, then they got creative.

I wonder what'd be the weekest party for MM6? Maybe 4 druids?
Did anyone ever used druids anyway? I think that was the weakest of the classes ever (although in MM7 the evil one got a realy nice baby-dragon).
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 24-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

why are you doing it with 4 knights? =S
Old 24-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
why are you doing it with 4 knights? =S
Going only with Might, and no Magic sounds interresting.

Also I'm interrested how much time you need if you don't use TownPortal.

Not to mention, there are towns of hirelings, but it seems only banker/instructor/scholar was ever used. Now I plan on going with wind master + enchanter (if I'll be able to afford the price).

The party was inspired originally by the ending-video, where four plate-armoured characters are present, what is strange, as in the intro the basic paladin/archer/cleric/sorcerer can be seen.
Old 24-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

These are the only ones I haven't played. Actually I haven't played M&M1 either. I always wanted to play them, but didn't have a computer that supported them at the time. I bought Might and Magic Platinum Edition years ago. It includes 6-9. But I haven't played them yet. I tried 6, but it wasn't how I imagined it. I remember not liking the graphics and missing the style of World of Xeen.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 24-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxor127 View Post
I remember not liking the graphics and missing the style of World of Xeen.
And when I saw the pre-6 Might&Magics, I was glad for people uploading on youtube their endings, that's how I disliked amiga-colouration and sequented moving.

When I recently reinstalled MM6 I got amused by its graphics (yes, after the current 3D-wonders I though MM6 was amusing, not those!), and the wide variety of ideas it contained during the quests.

MM7 I liked because it forced the player constantly running around and doing stuff (making alliances, gaining important promotions, defending their homes - the main characters really lived somewhere!).

MM8 was too easy and strange-looking (but at least it had some replay-value because of the videos attached to the alliances made), and MM9 was crappy in all sense if you ask me.
Old 28-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

My knight-only party is ready to leave New Sorpigal!
On ground they are pretty versatile, but the lack of travelling magic (fly, town portal) is a pain. Fortunatelly there are NPCs avaiable, and not too many maps require traveling magic.

The best thing in this party is, that they all can start with a bow. Also with shield! I was so happy seeing this, I forgot to pack repair, and as I found a plate armor in the NWC I didn't wanna restart, so I had to spend 4K gold on town portal.

My NPCs will be an enchanter and a cartographer mostly. This means they'll cost the same as the NPCs for my k/a/c/s, what probably means I'll be super-rich in the end.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Some info for MM6 you most probably never seen in any walkthrough:

- statuses:
drunk: your fighting skills go crap, but you gain tons of luck. Might be useful after killing all monsters in a dungeon, then getting drunk and gathering the stuff.
weak: fighting abilities go crap
poisonoed: same as weak
diseased: all your stats go crap. Worst part is, you loose mana.
insane: now this is GOOD, IF your character is a knight, or you've ran out of mana. This lowers magic abilities, but incrises fighting ones!
cursed: 50% chance your spell won't have any effect (but you loose the mana anyway)
afraid: almost the same as insane (with lower effect), but lowes accuracy too.
Finally the "oh I'm screwed" statuses: sleep, unconscious, dead, eradicated.

Good to know that a "more serious" status outlaws the "less serious" ones. This means if you're both sleeping AND eg. insane, you will still be able to act as normal until you cure insanity!

opening hours: any house (including the castles) are opens 24h. Weapon and armor shops are open from 6am to 6pm. Alchemist shops are open from 8am to 4pm. Town halls are open from 10am to 2pm. Churches (including Baa temples) are open from 5am to 1am. Inns are open from 5am to 2am (but if you rent a room you'll be awaken at next day 6am). Shops that buy anything are open 6am to 6pm (I think), but they offer lower prices then the other shops.

training grounds, cost-wise:
- New Sorpigal
- Misty Islands (this offers higher maximum level and lower prices then Bootleg Bay, so you should not train at all in BB)
- Free Heaven, Kriegspire, Castle Ironfist (in this order the possible maximum level incrises, CI offer 200 level,what is more then enough for anyone)
- Paradise Valley (this offers no limit on how high your level can incrise. I didn't mention Blackshire what is theoreticly cheaper, but there is no info if it has any limitation for maximum level, and face it: on this level training is so costy you won't do it, or you'll use the unlimited gold-bug)

hidden things:
- in New Sorpigal north from the temple there is a "Rock", what works as a chest. Also east from the adept guild is a twohanded sword in a rock. If you click on the buoy nearest to the northern volcano (with the obelisk), the volcano errupts for a short time!
- in Castle Ironfist west from the city is a +2 twohanded sword in a rock (requires ca. 50 might). In the Temple of Baa on the corridor behind the altar with the gong going right there is a torch without its name what has 5K gold in it. North from the obelisk there is a spot what can release (more then one times) monsters (the same ones that were inside that hill when you first arrived there) - good that there is that HP-fountain, not? In the Dragoon's Cavern behind a secret door there is a golden chest. That can be opened TWICE for treasures - be sure to pack everything out for the first time!
- in Mist, in the Silver Helm Outpost, in the room what serves as a chapel you can find a magic book when clicking on the chairs (on the back of the second row from the front, chair next to the wall on the left side). In the SHO there are two teleporters (look like frescos) what can summon enemies: the pictures can be used after each others, 3 times in a row before running out of "releasing monsters" charges.
- in Silver Cove when you WALK in the area with many stones you'll be teleported right in the middle of the druids on the northwest. Also on this map there are 3(!) swords in rocks: on the east is a +9 onehanded sword, on the west a +8 twohanded sword (requires 80-120 might), and on the central island a +12 onehanded sword of darkness (best nonartifact, nonelemental sword in the game if you ask me).
- in Bootleg Bay, Temple of the Sun in the northeast part two unnamed torches contain Sun ray scrolls (1 in each).
- in Eel Infested Waters north from the castle is the Excalibur stuck in a rock (requires 200 might to pull out).
- in Kriegspire, Castle Kriegspire in the biggest room with dragons and a casm before the bridge two torch (again without name) contains 15K gold each.
- somewhere I remember there was a torch without name what could be turned out/turned in by clicking on it.

Also this might not be obvious to oyu: in Bootleg Bay there is the Foun tain of Magic. It is unique in that aspect that it can give you UNLIMITED manapoints - it never runs out and start to say "refreshing". So there is your "free unlimited healing".

Some words on the Arena, Lord difficutly:
On the very highest levels you'll go with blasters, and if there are no terminators, you'll win, no doubt.
On some lower levels (like 80) you should hope for Finger of death working all the time on dragons and such, and use shrapmetal on Titans.
You CAN sleep in the Arena IF you clear enough monsters in a corner. Also don't forget to preserve mana for Divine Intervention if you have it.
On very low level (like level 10 or so) most monsters will be melee even on Lord, so focusing on the ranged units first you can gain an easy Lord level victory!

In the most used walkthrough (with the coloured maps) in Sweet Water a chest is signed as "unopenable" - that is false information. It can even be disarmed (with master disarm skill + a thievery item).

Try out going back to Free Heaven and talk with Andover Potbello after finishing the Superior Temple of Baa in Kriegspire - he will go mad! (lasts until you finish the Supreme Temple of Baa only - bug?)

Finally about some quests:
- You can't rescue Angela in New Sorpigal if the quest wasn't given to you
- You can rescue the Damsel in Distress from the Silver Helm Outpost even if you did not get the quest
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I stoped playing with my druid-only group as I realised I can not die with a Beacon in the NWC-dungeon and at the Fountain of Magic.
Heck, if you have any kind of healing and L'loyd's Beacn, you just can't loose in this game.

So I went beck to my knight-only group, and they stand valiantly. Ok, I coould yet not kill the dragon for the paladin promotion-quest, but I can always come back after some more levels.

I already cleaned New Sorpigal (well, not its islands of course), Misty Island, the NWC, Castle Ironfist, Bootleg Bay, Free Heaven (those liches are really not that though), and now I'm in the Mire of the Damned. I hope I'll get the exp from the Snergle quest to step L30. My plan is to go from here to Misty Island, then to Bootleg Bay (again, this time for the islands), then to Silver Cove for master learning and merchant - although currently I'm rich beyond measure heaving a banker in my group, despite occasionally buying immunity-equipment (as I have no mages sleeping and such conditions could hurt me a LOT).

Playing with only knights yet is interresting. You need more cunning then usually, but nothing seems impossible until this. Although I doubt I'll even enter to Paradise Valley (as that place only offers Dark Magic Master, and the Titans are HARD if you can not fly).