- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
So your cleric will use weapons that are against cleric ethos by letting the game cheat for you? Right, nothing to do here then, carry on with your non-cheating playthrough.
Heck, next time i'll be criticised 'cause BG2 allows casting higher then lvl3 druid spells for ranger/cleric, lol.

I've reached the maximum lvl (8) amongst the Firewine Ruins. And I didn't even do random-monster hunting (like basilisks or vampire wolves which gives tons of exp). Now I can bless myself before bossbattles. Sucky that only 1 spell is usefull, and even that can be achieved in TotSC only...

I've reached the maximum exp of TotSC after Ulcaster's Dungeon.

To get the Golden Girdle I again draw out my arrows. More then one mage, you know.

Seems I won't ever visit the area sout of the lighthouse, neither the farm north of BG'S bridge.

There is a nasty bug appart the occasional crashes: NPCs refuse to talk with you. To solve the problem do a save, then reload. All will be fine then.

I hate Durlag's Tower. From lvl -2 the enemies are hard and many, and there is no healer nearer then Nashkel. What a trip.
Also most of the traps here do not deplet when triggered, so be cautious (I tend to remember the place of the traps blindy here after a while). Though it means you can use them as weapons!
But here are also some bugg-packaged items (more then 5 in a package), so keep an eye for those.
Last but not least without lockpick I had to use Giant Strenght potions a couple of times to get access to the cool equipments. But even that did not help to get Kiel's shield (seems it is only for characters with lockpick).

Against the 4 dwarven guardian of DT lvl -2 I had to use a Potion of Heroism, and even that way it was a close battle. Used my Bless spell against the bottom left dwarf (he has the best AC, and the 2nd best damage).

Tips for DT lvl3:
- when you finally get through the northwest door from the starting room if you go east from there on the wall you'll find switches. All the maddening puzzles can be skipped by fiddling all switches into the open-position (opens all door on the level).
- at the teleport runes if you transport yourself to the other side, you can shoot down the appearing Durlags safely.
- when you reach the ghasts on the south corridor a potion of freedom can be a lifesaver against their hold person effect (what it seems destroys your AC for the period too). I did this too. Sadly this cause a strange bug appear what disables your Boots of Speed permanently. I could only reactivate it by asking a priest to cast Dispel Magic on me (it was only allowed as I wear the Claw of Kazgaroth).

DT lvl4 starts ugly, better have good arrows, as without those the 3 wyverns are quite impossible. After you rise the five npc you have to power to vanquish one, then the snipers shall be sacrifised to the second what you hit melee from the back. Then pick up the ranged units arrows, you'll need those too. The only fortunate thing is, wyverns are LARGE critters (gets stuck in doors).

The last part (the chessboard and further) of Durlag's Tower is very-very hard and not really productive on the resource-side, so I consider skiping that, although with warrior class it'd be useful to finish even lvl 5.
But seriousl the final reward not worth it: a hammer of +4 vs giants? There are not even giant creatures in BG1!! (appart from some occasional ogrillion or something, but they are puny)
Old 07-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #13
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Ok, I did it. I finished the fifth lvl of Durlag's Tower. Not that Ivolunteered by free will, but because after I entered lvl 4 I could not leave the place anymore (gates closed behind me, no idea if that's some bug). Man, how much I had to sleep to pump back my health!

I went in for Bala's Axe stealthed. For the four elements the phonix guards were nothing, but the baby-wyvern was too much without a potion of speed – what lasted until the chessboard. I also used a potion of heroism here what I had enough. Again thx to pure luck I just had a package of fire arrows to kill the slime.

The chessboard turned easy, because I always carry a Potion of Absorbtion. I just got stealthed, and runned up&down before the opponent's figurines until they were dead.

The fifth lvl was kinda disapointment after the reallife years I last went down there. The slimy part though was maddening me, as where the talking ghoul is were a large group of enemies right behind the door of the room. Also one Greater Ghoul there always respawns. I used 2 potion of freedom until I managed to cut myself through on the entire area and anther oil of speed and a STR19 potion as well as some scrolls I've found (I think defensive harmony and champion's strenght, but really, just use everything you could lay hands on).
The only thing I had to cheat in was a STR 24 potion, what can be bought in BG's entry area to get access to Flame Tongue. If I could have go backwards, or knew this requirement beforehand, I not had to do this. And I don't know if after the Durlag lady sends you out can you go back again (you have to be teleported to the chessboard what has the requirement of killing the elemental monster – from the ice ones only the bear).

Bugs: - did you notice when you reload you hp rises?
- I again got the potion of freedom bug. This time I needed a potion of speed to bypass it.
- one point of „bad design” in the game that when you reach Cadlekeep's 6th floor you're sent down to lvl 5. BUT when you just arrive to lvl 6, you get arrested. Bummer.

Strangely the city of Baldur's Gate, neither Candlekeep offers nothing interresting in battles, only stories of the main plot. Oh well. At least I have all the statbooks.

The Werewolf Island with all the nifty equipments on one warrior-type character makes that quest easy too. I would be curious how a spellcaster could do it - but really there is little reason for that anyway.

Now I'm at the final part of BG1, namely the only remaining field is the metropolis itself. As there are plenty of god things to consider keeping, I wait a day with trying finishing it (so this night I'll try my luck most probably - wish me success).

Oh, and a chart to analyse when to dualclass ranger/cleric:

- lvl 7: you can regain ranger abilities at the end of BG1.
- lvl 9: the last level you gain HPs by diceroll.
- lvl 11: you can still reach lvl 39 with your cleric.
- lvl 12: you can reach lvl 38, but gain another proficieny point. Considering how restricted a priest is on the weapon side, I doubt it worth it.
- lvl 13: you gain +0.5 attack because the ranger class, but loose casting power of the priest. For the reasons I won't choose this possibility, but it is a matter of taste of course.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
Heck, next time i'll be criticised 'cause BG2 allows casting higher then lvl3 druid spells for ranger/cleric, lol.
There's a difference between an engine bug that you can't do anything against and purposefully putting skill points into skills you normally couldn't/shouldn't have. And yes, if you would use for instance the 3 caster bug of NWN2, you'd get kicked from most places. But to each his own, you carry on.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
There's a difference between an engine bug that you can't do anything against and purposefully putting skill points into skills you normally couldn't/shouldn't have. And yes, if you would use for instance the 3 caster bug of NWN2, you'd get kicked from most places. But to each his own, you carry on.
It is a problem of design between the two games, not an engine-bug. That (engine-bug) would be Fake Talk, or Everyone Can Have a Familiar.
But to each his own.

Onto more serious buisness:
After reaching the Temple of Baal I went on the left side inside. This way I could activate the battle, then run back and kill the mage appearing at the main enterance.
Then I went back up left, and let the archer chase me to a coloumn, so I could kill him melee, AND he healed me with his Arrows of Detonation.
Then I went up on the right, activated Sharevok, and made him chase me to the upper left corner, where I took down my armor, and hided in the shadows, and went back to fight Tazok.

After that win I could finally save the game.

Then I drew out bow and shread Sharevok to pieces with piercing arrows.

Voilá, I won. The battle against Sharevok is really missprogramed. He is unbeatable in melee, but pathetic against ranged attacks, mostly because boots of speed and oil of speed stack. There are great challenges in this part of the game, but Sharevok is not amongst them. Now I go and find out why my stats have to be rerolled in the stupid second part of the game. I didn't play the first game just to skip the alignment-choice, dammit! (And I'd be interrested how to be evil alignmented with this char as soon as possible to kill with turn undead!)

EDIT: Lol, the stats are only carried over if your pictures are copied with the savegame! (I use custom portraits)

stats at end of BG1 (+TotSC): 19/19/19/12/21/9
items carried over: Full Plate Mail +1, gauntlets of weapon expertise, helm of balduran, kiel's helmet, large shield +2, 2*ring of fire resistance, claw of kazgaroth, cloak of balduran, boots of speed, rogue stone, diamond, horn of kazgaroth, 9*potion of magic blocking, 3*scroll of magic protection, 3*scroll of protection from undead, golden girdle, cloak of the shield (planed to use against Sharevok, but got not used), long bow of marksmenship, 20*arrow of detonation, 20*arrow of piercing, ring of holiness, staff mace, golden pantaloon, violet potion.

Last edited by twillight; 08-05-2012 at 05:41 PM.
twillight is online now                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

As the next thing I zapped through Irenicus' dungeon, and by that reached lvl 9. Then drank a potion of speed and a potion of invulnerability, and managed to kill Mencar Peablecrusher's band in the local inn. As always the hardest part was to kill the thief (likes to backstab, and runs away when seriously wounded), then disposing tha mage/mephit who cast confusion.

For proficiencies: while waiting for gaining back the ranger abilities you'll only be allowed to put 1 proficiency point on your weapons skills, so watch out. But after ranger gets reactivated, 2 points on skills will be avaiable again.

As ranger I rised my two weapon fighting to 3, quaterstaves to 2 (I plan on assembling Staff of Ram out of curiosity, but also the only piercing weapon for cleric is in this weapon class), warhammer and mace. During the early cleric-levels I plan on using flails and slings. As weapons I plan on Crom Faeyr + Flail of Ages, but this can change slightly according what I experience. Not that there'd be too much room for changes on the weapon side...

Now I go back and try to find some exp for my ranger and keep some easy exp for my cleric. Will update later in this post if no comment will come.

EDIT1: I went to the Slums to speak with Gaelen, and almost finished the "Free Hendak" quest. Only not finished to spare some easy exp for me as cleric. Then went for Nalia's quest - there are nice exp there ad the Flail of Ages - not to mention you can spare reporting your success to Nalia for later.

In the De'Arnise keep I used oil of speed against the chief guard and the main troll. I avoided the Umberhulks by brewing the dogstew, and killed the golems with the Flail of Ages and the Staff Spear (found on Xzar).

I finished the quest of "Rescue Montaron", and started the quest for the Shadow Thieves what I delay until I change my class as I don't want to find some scripting bug because of alignment-problem or some such thing.

EDIT2:Finally I've reached Ranger lvl 11, and turned into a Cleric. I'm slowly regain my abilities (currently I'm lvl 8).
I basically did everything what I could without possible interference with the stronghold-related quests. For example I've saved Viconia (then said bye-bye), payed for the Cowled Wizards, solved the Skinner Murder in the Bridge District, killed Valeria's band (had to use a potion of invulnerability + potion of heroism + oil of speed here), killed the guys related to theLimiting Wish adventure (I can't cast that spell, so I started a brawl), and went to Windspear Hills to kill the knights at the arrival + the bandits raiding the landlord's house + kill every single monster in the area. I even had to enter Firkraag's lair to kill the orcs at the enterance (killed a Vampiric Mist too what wandered there for some reason).
Part of this was required because I wanned to step level by level as cleric, and not just gain 40K exps at once and step like 6 one time to avoid any possible loss of abilities. Maybe this was being overcautious, but it was possible to do.

After this I went back the BG, and cleared the Circus Tent. Good amount of exp in separate doses, so it is a fine area.
After that I finally could go around harvesting end-questexp, like saving the dryads from Irenicus' dungeon, freeing Hendak for sure, giving Aegis' body to the Cowled Wizards (Bridge district's murder quest) and other minor things.

Now the plan is to find Lilarchor, and do minor errand-quests until reactivating the ranger-levels, then starting chapter 3 on Bodhi's side.

Oh, and I realised my mistake above, GOOD priests destroy the undead. So I'll be as strong as a fully equipped Vicona, but with better abilities!

Too bad strenght-potions are no loger useable. But there are nifty spells for clerics if you watch without all the carzy super-bonuses of an entire part and their equipment. I still wonder how the heck will I have the required offensive output, but we'll see what can be made up.

EDIT3:

I always forget to add this: back in BG1, on the Werewolf Island the Greater Werevolf was not damageable with Bala's Axe (+3 weaponry). Only +4 weaponry worked.

Back to BG2:
As I much needed exp I went first to Trademeet. There isn't that many exp, but it isn't to bad either, and provides some items as well as good story. As I wanned the Efreeti bottle I did not care for the genie-quest - I killed them by the sword after the Druid Grove quest. But on the way to the Druid Grove I went to the Raksasha/potionseller, bought all coool potions, then buffed myself to kill 'em. As they sell an unidnentified potion what if you try to drink you do a save vs. polymorph I think that's a hint to force-attack 'em without even the genie quest. The buff still lasted for the last druid group.
Against the second druid group here I casted Silence.

I still was only lvl9 priest at the end (I stored the Heroe of Trademeet reward for later. Much later), so with a shrug went to Windspear Hills. The most notable difference here was that at a corridor instead of vampires I met mumies.

I actually killed Firkraag too. I buffed myself there with all things on me after a good sleep (like Potion of power, chant, draw upon holy might, champion's might etc.), and with a couple of tries (less then 10) managed to hit the beast with a Harm (reduces hp to 1). Then it was easy. Oh, and just before Firkraag I reached lvl 12 of cleric, so regained all abilities.

My next move was to enter the Temple District and finish all quest for the shadow thieves, then side Bodhi. and that's where I am now.

Last edited by twillight; 12-05-2012 at 10:56 PM.
twillight is online now                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 13-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

EDIT1: Oh-oh: "The same thing happened to me with a dual-classed Ranger/Cleric. I think you may be able to get the temple stronghold if you do the quest before regaining the ranger levels, but I'm not sure.

In any event, yes, this is a known bug. It hasn't been fixed by any patch and Baldurdash doesn't address it."

EDIT2: Not just I don't get the cleric stronghold, but seems because of that I can't get the Armor of Faith either. Bah, that'd have been a cool armor for a priest. The cleric stornghold sux, but if I'd have to decide between an Armor of Faith and a Monn Dog Figurine, I'd go for the first one.

Anyway, some progressdetails:
During the Unseeing Eye quest I met my first lich. It had protection of this, absorption of that – but no defense against Turn Undead I already experienced the wast power of the ability in the Graveyard, but this was fun. Interrestingly the two Greater Mumy at the same place just kept running away.
Be cautios though, that during the Kangaxx quest it has no use. At least it had not for me. And after I got frustrated by being mislead and mazed, used up a scoll of prot. from undead, and ran around with my precious Mace of Disruption +2. It made short work on even Kangaxx Demilich Form – I didn't even had to reload for another try.

At Arain Lingvail (head Shadow Thief, has a nice but not-that-useful Ring of Djinn) he kept casting prot. from magical weapons, so I pulled out my Berserker Figurine (got the Beljuril to upp it fully at Firkraag , in Tazok's room) and the Black Spider Figurine to finiish him off.

More bugs I encountered:
- sometimes the AI works insufficiently, and a „sane” enemy (red circle around it) acts like with morale failure: afraid.
- the „character appears busy” bug is very frequent. Fortunatelly it does not effect dialogues starting when you are present.
- Wellyn's ghost no longer appears since I got his teddybear. Might be related the way of the conversation I got it back from the thief.

Oh, a good thing: when my ranger levels got reactivated I could again drink potions avaiable only to the ranger class and restricted from clerics.

And as I LIKE to be a good priest for blowing up undeads, I decided I won't try to be an evil nonfallen ranger (I heared if you go the evil way during the ToB pocket-plane tests your alignment can shift without being Fallen). The advantage of it would be of course to wear the Human Flesh armour (besides of the insane curiosity of AD&D 2nd ed. evil nonfallen ranger part).

Some things like the Guarded Compound, where I went pretty late were joke-easy. Now I have nothing else to do then Trademeet, then the Planar Sphere and the Rogue Stone Doorway, then it'll be time to go to Spellhold.

About bringing items from BG1 to BG2: It is not really necessary or helpful at all. Gems can be refound easy, and most of the stuff you'll change fat anyway (and not a little will be unusable). What DO helps though is a good armour (what you'll change of course sooner or later as Armor of Balduran is at least only costs money, and there are even better armors out there), maybe an ok weapon to start with instead of the nonmagical crap, and all the magic-blocking scroll/potion just in case (not that I used any until now). The Helm and Cloak of Balduran are unbeatable of course, and instant 2 ring of fire protection (they stack!) is a good thing too.
But otherwise don't try too hard.

EDIT3: The Shadow Draghon was... lame. You can go behind the pillars, and if you have some unlimited amunition ranged weapon and make sure it can't horror you with its breath, you can win without a scratch.

Hm, Stone golems can be hit by anything, not just piercing weapons? Another odity is, why the Ringf of Danger Sense (+25% find traps) is avaiable for any class. How will I do Find Trap with a cleric?
Btw, being dualclass ranger/cleric suck not a little on the field of HLAs. There are not many, nor any you can get twice Within the Rogue Stone Doorway I required these equpiments: Mace of Disruption +2 against the lich and the vampire, Shield of Balduran against the beholder, and Shield of the Lost against the mage. The ninja bothers you least.
On lvl1 of Watcher's Keep if you pick up the Holy Book from the altar before doing the ritual the two topmost statue comes alive. Makes the fight easier if you want it.
On lvl1 of Watcher's Keep if you pick up the Holy Book from the altar before doing the ritual the two topmost statue comes alive. Makes the fight easier if you want it.
An interresting sidenote is, somewhere along Watcher's Keep someone put Deafness on me (50% casting failure). Didn't bother me too much, but after a while it became uncomfortable, especially as it not seemed that it want to expire. I left the keep to go to the shop on its top to make it removed – but no success! Shops has unlimited spell level, no?!? In the end I met some snakemen, whose priest casted Dispel Magic on me what removed it (my own did not work either).
The dragon inside Watcher's Keep though not fit through its doorway, but regularly casts stoneskin as natural ability. I did not want to go Deva, instead went for Energy Blades. Three pack made short work on 'im. Be aware of the Dragon's attack pattern: dragon breath, remove magic, nothing. So wait with vasting EB until the dispel-state is done, else you waste your spell.
I'm currently at the fifth lvl of Watcher's Keep. I WILL TRY the final seal for the Gauntlet of Extraordinary Specialisation. See you then.

EDIT4: At the signs I started with the red orbs. During its last wave I've reached lvl 39, the maximum. Then I only did 1 from the blue and purple series, but I liked the green abilities, so went for it. I did not brought here the Shield of Balduran, and I did not want to go back for it, but as it turned out it was not needed. The biggest problem here is the Elder Orb's Maze/Imprisonment ability, so if you can win over that mnster, you're almost surely will win. Be cautious though as the Hive Mother makes you constantly interrupted. The third beholder will in the first seconds be killed by... I think by its fellows. I've finished the Watcher's Keep quest solely for roleplaying purpose - and because the remaining bits are pathetic compared to the Final Guardians, against whom I use a lot of devas and the „no monster can open a door” trick. Actually the Fgs are not that strong if you do them one-by-one. Ok, you need a +4 weapon to be able to actually hit them, but otherwise most of them are plain fighters. There is a cleric, but that has low HP. The Hive Mother we already know. So that leave only the Ytosshi, but strangely enough a deva and some energy blades did short work on it. I mean I'm seriously doubt my two skeleton warrior and the berserker warrior counted too much. What I take with me to the Underdark in my backpack: golden firdle, cloack of shield, Kiel's helmet, Horn of Blasting (my quickslots will be: Bottle of Ereeeti Summoning, Wand of Wonders, Monndog figurine), 1 scroll case with various scrolls, 1 gem bag with jewelry, 1 potion bag with lots of super heling potions, 4 oil of speed, 5 potion of power, 5 potion of invisibility and some more.

EDIT5: Well, about the tests in the Abyss: I did manage to become neutral-evil at Sharevok without being fallen, but I did not go for the +1 STR bonus streight from Sharevok, and (maybe) thus not got the Holy Symbol repleaced. While on the other hand at the Selfish Tear when I tried out the evil path I GOT fallen, got another Lathender-symbol, my alignment did not change, I lost not just the ranger abilities but also the cleric-ones amongst those using items like Amulet of Power or the Sensate Amulet! So just don't try anything funny here or elsewhere I think.

Now on Joneleth: I summoned a Deva at the start to distract the opponents, and ran away for a little breath. Ironskin was active, but even that proved too much. I separated the demons from Irenicus and bashed them with not hard effort. As save was not possible, I went and destroyed the Mislead, then summoned a Deva, and Blades of Energy. This was all what was needed to destroy Jon basically. I start to feel confidence.

Btw, I forgot to go back to Trademeet for reward and statue of the Slayer. Turned out the statues are made when you step out the door of the Mayor, but you are forced back to human form when you are in Slayer form. A pity I think.

A sidenote: the Crom Faeyr isa bad joke. Ok, it gives 25 STR what helps to someone like Viconia, but what's the use when you solo? Not much. Trolls are anoying no quarel, but do we really need a special weapon against them? The stone golems are again only minor nusiance the time you assemble the hammer. And ettins? The only ettin in the game is in the Underwater City, thus appears before you can get access to this legendary tool. Bah!

Now onto the first challenge: As being „good” allignment as the final wave I've faced the prime enemies of the first two games: the Exile, Bodhi and Sharevok. Well, I think Sharevok's secondlife career ended fast... But the mage is the worst for summoning and all the crazy shit a mage can do, so kill him first. I got so many summons against me I launched a fireball from the Book of Infinite Spells centered me. Bodhi, being a vampire, is nothing to aa priest. An adive for this battle: a good AC helps a lot. So if you went to the Watcher's Keep ask Caspenar to make the dragon armor (I can stealth in it!), and wield a shield. At the very least. The Golden Girdle and other additions are good idea too. Interesting fact is, that at the start Girdle of Piercing is the best, then Girdle of Bluntness offers the most, and finaly (soon after the second's time) Golden Girdle will be your best friend. Naturally as -20 is the best AC, after assembling the BMU, you'll only need the Belt of Inertial Barrier.

Last edited by twillight; 17-05-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 20-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #18
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Last post of mine here I think (to avoid talking with myself), though not the one you'd think (yet).

I've started a paladin too to go the whole series. You can't cheat or suffer bugs with a paladin, even in BG1 the "roll best human stats" cheat doesn't exist.
I also guessed up a more compact format to tell tales.

Just to mention I've never played paladin before. I'll give it a kit in BG2: cavalier. Analyses:
- the paladin is a warrior, so gets greater whirlwind, what makes any dispell-ability or true sight dismissable. Ok, Inquisitor is a hellish party-tank, but its abilities are useless in solo.
- undead hunter has too little to offer. Better hit against undeads? There is turn undead to destroy them in the blink of an eye. Immun to leveldrain? Use mace of disruption and avoid messing with too many traps. May not LoH? In solo it can be a nice ability, so it IS a loss. Immun to hold is a cool thingy, only there is Ring of Freedom (or the spell even), but around middle-level you WILL save against it.
- cavalier will be my choice. Ok, not many dragons and demons are in the game, but they ARE hard (examples: Abizgail, Ravager, Firkraag). Immunity to horror IS a big help. Extra resistances DO help. The remove fear is redundant, and immunity to poison is obsolate because of Ring of Gaxx, but this kit still offers the most if you ask me.
Items bought:
- In Candlekeep I bought Splint Mail, Composite Bow, 60 arrows, Helm, Large Shield.
- In Friendly Arms Inn I bought Large Shield +1 (best shield for a VERY long time).
- During my first visit in High Hedge I could afford to buy the Horn of Kazgaroth. No more dying from magic missiles 'cause of lowlevel HP! The other piece, Claw of Kazgaroth is an endgame item, so it can wait.
- Composit Bow +1 in Beregost. For many Acts this is best.
- Claw of Kazgaroth
- Cloack of Displacement from Ulgoth Beard. On lvl7 I could finally kill ankeghs to get here!
- (Potion of Storm Giant Strenght + Oil of Speed + Potion of Heorism)*3 from Sorceous Soundries
Though battles:
- assassination attempt at Friendly Arm Inn (hide behind the local guards)

- ogre south of Friendly Arm Inn (use a bow)

- Silke
- I used my Wand of Magic Missile (took it from Imoen before disposing her forced join) against Zargal to finally have a (+2) magic weapon. He simply had too good AC against bare weapons.
- the three sirens and the flesh golems at the Tome of CON
- Mulahey (he has some nasty hold spells and that combines with minions)
- Davaeorn: the cloakwood Mines are just very far away, and the real pain are the battle horrors (I think all of 'em have higher lvl then normal). If you can avoid those, he isn't really that big of a deal though.
- battle on the top of the Iron Throne. The problem is the sheer number of enemies (good idea to throw some fireball-potions on 'em).
Other things:
- Meh. Being female you won't be mistaken for Greywolf, what means no eraning 200$ or +1 reputation. And in BG2 you can't have sex. That's about equality of sex.
- The only good think I could have had from the expansion-disc was the Large Shield +2 (appart from the +1 WIS book), so practically I didn't do anything with it.
- I defeated Sarevok in melee! I used a strenghtbuff potion, prot. from evil, Oil of Speed and Potion of Power against Sharevok. As I wear the Claw of Kazgaroth I did not changed between the goons and him my rings (from fire prot. rings to AC-rings), so even higher achievement I think.
Old 20-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #19
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Last post of mine here I think (to avoid talking with myself), though not the one you'd think (yet).......
It's not because we don't reply we don't like to read about your adventures.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 20-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #20
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

Quote:
Last post of mine here I think (to avoid talking with myself), though not the one you'd think (yet).

I've started a paladin too to go the whole series. You can't cheat or suffer bugs with a paladin, even in BG1 the "roll best human stats" cheat doesn't exist.
I also guessed up a more compact format to tell tales.

Just to mention I've never played paladin before. I'll give it a kit in BG2: cavalier. Analyses:
- the paladin is a warrior, so gets greater whirlwind, what makes any dispell-ability or true sight dismissable. Ok, Inquisitor is a hellish party-tank, but its abilities are useless in solo.
- undead hunter has too little to offer. Better hit against undeads? There is turn undead to destroy them in the blink of an eye. Immun to leveldrain? Use mace of disruption and avoid messing with too many traps. May not LoH? In solo it can be a nice ability, so it IS a loss. Immun to hold is a cool thingy, only there is Ring of Freedom (or the spell even), but around middle-level you WILL save against it.
- cavalier will be my choice. Ok, not many dragons and demons are in the game, but they ARE hard (examples: Abizgail, Ravager, Firkraag). Immunity to horror IS a big help. Extra resistances DO help. The remove fear is redundant, and immunity to poison is obsolate because of Ring of Gaxx, but this kit still offers the most if you ask me.
Items bought:
- In Candlekeep I bought Splint Mail, Composite Bow, 60 arrows, Helm, Large Shield.
- In Friendly Arms Inn I bought Large Shield +1 (best shield for a VERY long time).
- During my first visit in High Hedge I could afford to buy the Horn of Kazgaroth. No more dying from magic missiles 'cause of lowlevel HP! The other piece, Claw of Kazgaroth is an endgame item, so it can wait.
- Composit Bow +1 in Beregost. For many Acts this is best.
- Claw of Kazgaroth
- Cloack of Displacement from Ulgoth Beard. On lvl7 I could finally kill ankeghs to get here!
- (Potion of Storm Giant Strenght + Oil of Speed + Potion of Heorism)*3 from Sorceous Soundries
Though battles:
- assassination attempt at Friendly Arm Inn (hide behind the local guards)

- ogre south of Friendly Arm Inn (use a bow)

- Silke
- I used my Wand of Magic Missile (took it from Imoen before disposing her forced join) against Zargal to finally have a (+2) magic weapon. He simply had too good AC against bare weapons.
- the three sirens and the flesh golems at the Tome of CON
- Mulahey (he has some nasty hold spells and that combines with minions)
- Davaeorn: the cloakwood Mines are just very far away, and the real pain are the battle horrors (I think all of 'em have higher lvl then normal). If you can avoid those, he isn't really that big of a deal though.
- battle on the top of the Iron Throne. The problem is the sheer number of enemies (good idea to throw some fireball-potions on 'em).
Other things:
- Meh. Being female you won't be mistaken for Greywolf, what means no eraning 200$ or +1 reputation. And in BG2 you can't have sex. That's about equality of sex.
- The only good think I could have had from the expansion-disc was the Large Shield +2 (appart from the +1 WIS book), so practically I didn't do anything with it.
- I defeated Sarevok in melee! I used a strenghtbuff potion, prot. from evil, Oil of Speed and Potion of Power against Sharevok. As I wear the Claw of Kazgaroth I did not changed between the goons and him my rings (from fire prot. rings to AC-rings), so even higher achievement I think.

Go on dear twillight,
we like You.
Of course we do..

Your analysis is very valuable.