Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 25-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
dark schneider

Lightbulb Old game roms?

I was walking at the mall when I saw a games store, and i start to remember of my old's games of atari, intelevision, mega drive an snes...
so i think " Are so many games what gonna be lost! tittles like pac-man, space invaders, river ride... the first geration of the sword of mana, ogre battle and top gear.
So i've remember of the abandonia and i ask me, Why not a old rom's page?
since these games are no longer for sale and not in production.
If this is possible I will be happy to be able to help, if not.... I will continue living in good memories.
dark schneider is offline                         Send a private message to dark schneider
Old 25-09-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I'd really like this too. However, unlike many old PC games, most of the old console games are very much protected and sold (thanks to the Virtual Console/X-Box Live Arcade/Playstation Network) . So, we probably could, but the selection would be very minimal.

However, I'd think old other-computer roms, like Commodore & Amiga, would be neat. However, I've heard that Kosta (site owner) doesnt want anything to do with roms or emulation.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 25-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Yeah, I saw others wanted to add roms and were peed on from a great height... :laugh: There *are* old rom sites, and I think they want to keep this one strictly for abandoned P.C. games.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 25-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
I've heard that Kosta (site owner) doesnt want anything to do with roms or emulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
I think they want to keep this one strictly for abandoned P.C. games.
Correct. Abandonia is not going to touch the subject of ROMs or console emulation for the foreseeable future.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
arete

Like I said Peed on from a great height...

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
Old 25-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

There's enough corrupt emulator sites on the net, Abandonia shouldn't become one.

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 25-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

Kosta wants Abandonia so focused on PC abandonware that even Reloaded was created as a separate site even though its games are also for PC.

However I don't see anything worse in dealing with abandoned games for other platforms than for PC... Only as Horseman said, Nintendo/Sega/Sony/etc. games couldn't be considered abandoned. Still many games for arcade machines and many other platforms are abandoned.
Old 25-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
fender178
Abandonia nerd

I totally agree. Abandonia shouldnt risk shut down due to Roms. They are fine with old Pc games.

Last edited by fender178; 25-09-2008 at 10:29 PM.
fender178 is offline                         Send a private message to fender178
Old 25-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
Kosta wants Abandonia so focused on PC abandonware that even Reloaded was created as a separate site even though its games are also for PC.

However I don't see anything worse in dealing with abandoned games for other platforms than for PC... Only as Horseman said, Nintendo/Sega/Sony/etc. games couldn't be considered abandoned. Still many games for arcade machines and many other platforms are abandoned.
because having roms would imply people asking how to run the games which would imply to emulators, which is illegal. or not?
Old 26-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #10
arete

Nope, it's the roms that are protected, the emulators are freeware i think. But a lot of sites say that you can only download a rom if you have the game cartridge... Which of course is impossible to enforce, but covers them nicely.

Closed Thread