Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
SlowCoder
Game freak

Default What makes a Crypt game a Crypt game?

What places a game in the crypt, versus in another category? I'm sure age plays a large role, but what is the age cutoff? And what other factors are there?
SlowCoder is offline                         Send a private message to SlowCoder
Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

CGA graphics. Kosta didn't want CGA games on site because they are plain ugly according to him. Tom Henrik didn't want to give them up and had a long discussion with him, and the outcome was The Crypt.

[edit] Moving this to Site comments/suggestions. [/edit]

Last edited by Luchsen; 09-11-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Luchsen is offline                         Send a private message to Luchsen
Old 09-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well, there was quite a bunch of us fighting to contribute even more CGA games and so he had to do something And it also fits in the idea of Abandonia being a tribute (a sort of muzeum) for old game.

Age has nothing to do with it. If you'd make a game today and it would use only CGA 4 colour palette it would be in the script...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 09-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

That's also the reason for the CGA or VGA field in user profile. And I'm one of the few CGAers here. And still not satisfied with the Crypt achievement. That's no genre at all! Thanks for remembering: picking up the fight again!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

Luchsen has a point, if you select 'crypt' games for their CGA graphics .... *sigh*
Afterall, it's an abandownware site, you'd expect some more respect for old games.
Abandonia is already -(*alas, in my books*)- moving towards wingames (-> ISO cellar) ...

Ohwell, not worth any fuss, they're still on the site, even if it's in a crypt.
Sooner or later all dosgames will be buried in a crypt.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 10-11-2008, 02:37 AM   #6
MrDeadly
Game freak

[quote=Luchsen;342049]CGA graphics. Kosta didn't want CGA games on site because they are plain ugly according to him.[edit]

I find that sad, really sad. A lot of gems would have been barred just because of a narrow viewpoint. Graphics don't make a good game. Graphics are only flavors, if the gameplay sucks it doesn't matter how much state of the art graphics you throw in - it's still gonna be crap. Just look at today's majority output of games, great graphics but.... a perfumed turd is still a turd.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #7
DoomYoshi
Abandonia nerd

I remember in 2001 talking to some of my friends about games. Back then I was still into Alpha Centauri. One guy said "that game has such crap graphics". This was shocking to me because the game's graphics and overall atmosphere really made it for me. If you would have asked, I would have said: AC has the best graphics ever. It has nothing to do with how good they are: although the videos still amaze me. It is about how well they are used.
To think that Space Invaders, where the logo comes from; Snipes; Archon; Elite; Tetris; Pac-Man; etc would not be included is yet another of those slaps in the face to me. And so, AB has some skeletons in the closet. Tsk, tsk Kosta. These days, classic gamers need to stick together, even if they disagree on what warrants inclusion in the 'club'. Despite GOG, the industry has abandoned us.
Case in point: Civ Chronicles, the collection of all the CIVs in one includes all the original tech posters. However, the Civ II tech poster has crappy extra-lo-res graphics. They seriously put worse graphics on the reprint. As if to say: 'who the f**k is going to look at this anyways'. My original poster was getting really frayed since I still play Civ II frequently and I was looking forward to the new one. But it is ruined.
DoomYoshi is offline                         Send a private message to DoomYoshi
Old 10-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

I'll be honest, I think a f-ing CGA game is way better then any new game coming out, with more and more advanced graphics... and more shittier gameplay.
What's my point? Graphics are not all that important in a game, it's the gameplay and the "feeling" that sucks you in.
The kind of "shitty" blocky graphics, just gives the game a very good atmosphere and feeling.
I think these games deserve to be around the other games, and should not be placed in a F-ing ghetto just because Kosta thinks they suck.

And Luchsen, your not alone: CGA 4 ever! :P

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 10-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
MrDeadly
Game freak

I agree, "The Crypt" is a ghetto. They should at least renamed it to "CGA" if it's so hard to include the games with the rest. That said, I think the best thing would have been to remove "The Crypt" and let its games be included in the other categories along with VGA games.

Last edited by MrDeadly; 10-11-2008 at 05:44 PM.
MrDeadly is offline                         Send a private message to MrDeadly
Old 10-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
sgtboat
Resident Redneck

Wink Up with CGA

Although I put myself in as VGA, about half the games I have downloaded come from the crypt. I am all about gameplay. In the past when the graphics were 4 color they had to put alot more thought into gameplay because they didnt have eye candy to put in. All old games should get the same respect. We love all games and the old ones just had better thought behind the game itself.
:thumbs:
sgtboat is offline                         Send a private message to sgtboat