Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Dragom
Game freak

Default [APROVED]

I was just browsing the folder "Needing Archives" and stopped at "Omni-Play Horse Racing" .

The threat has only 2 notes (both from last June):
1 - from SkyFly asking for the game
2 - from Total Anarchy saying it was aproved

My question (and doubts)
What does that mean please? was it aproved for what exactly?
- Aproved as an existing archive as if it was an Offer?, or...
- Aproved to just stay at the "Needing Archives" as if it is a Request?
:wondering:
Dragom is offline                         Send a private message to Dragom
Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Approved means it's ok to upload cos it's abandonware. Denied means it's sold or protected.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 05-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It was requested. The request was approved.
Since we had no archive for it, the thread was then moved to Needing Archives.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Dragom
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
Approved means it's ok to upload cos it's abandonware. Denied means it's sold or protected.
Let me get this straight please:
According to your words, I don't need to get any further aproval to upload it - is that right?
Thanks
Old 05-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

If you see a Game in "Approved Request" then you can upload it, yes, but only if it hasnt be uploaded before.

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 05-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Dragom
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
If you see a Game in "Approved Request" then you can upload it, yes, but only if it hasnt be uploaded before.
Understanding that it came into "needing archives" after aproved at "request games", I still wonder how should I know "if it hasnt be uploaded before"?
Is sounds like a YES (meaning is it advisable) to ask AGAIN for aproval - at that given moment in time...
(otherwise one would have to sneak all folders of each member at FTP, right?)

So, as this is the place for (doable) suggestions, wouldn't it be nice if after searching for a game that is not (not yet) at Abandonia "display", to get, instead of the game page, some kind of signals like (e.g.) "Not ready", "waiting for review", etc...
Thanks

Last edited by Dragom; 05-11-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: modifying the question, adding suggestion
Old 06-11-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
Saccade
[BANNED]

These guys know what they are doing, Dragom. I don't think there's need to ask again, once the game has been approved.
The chance that you would upload a game that has already been approved, and it isn't already on the FTP server, is very slim...

There's being cautious and there's the delete button.
I've uploaded things that have needed removing from FTP before.
And I'm still alive.

You could always check the full list in offers if you were still unsure - the sticky thread called submissions or something. Use yr browser search to check the page quickly, or advanced forum search to scout the whole thread.

The idea of the "coming soon" pages is a good one.
Even though a standard page, with minor adjustments, is easy - the task of registering everything is pretty large.

There is also the fact that a site full of empty pages with no images (as we'd have to take screenshots or link to mobygames or someone, even though you have to make the gamepages for some of the games we get here...) isn't exactly thrilling.

Apart from that - I like it. It could be a good way to let people know what is needed for a game to go on-site.

There is already a database under construction that fulfils providing this information to staff, who are the people that circulate this information to the forum, and so to Abandonia users.
Excellent suggestion, but I'm not sure if an html/php version of that is likely.
At least not until the cms database is complete.

[ed]
The quickest way to get yours and others games up on site is to write a review & take screenshots, upload extras, etc... completing all that is necessary from you to make a new game page.

Last edited by Saccade; 06-11-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: as it's about getting games on site :)
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragom View Post
Understanding that it came into "needing archives" after aproved at "request games", I still wonder how should I know "if it hasnt be uploaded before"?
By checking Paco's submissions list in Offers forum. Than search for the game and see if anyone has uploaded it yet. That list is most accurate for now.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Dragom
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
These guys know what they are doing, Dragom. I don't think there's need to ask again, once the game has been approved.
There's being cautious and there's the delete button. I've uploaded things that have needed removing from FTP before. And I'm still alive.
I believe they do! It is me who does not know well what I can or should do here - that is the reason of some of my notes.
And I am glad that you survived - means that I might have some chances...

Quote:
The idea of the "coming soon" pages is a good one.
Even though a standard page, with minor adjustments, is easy - the task of registering everything is pretty large.
I know what you mean. Long time ago I was not bad at using a DOS database ("DBaseIII plus" to be accurate). Than with Windows era, I lost almost that skill, but had a chance to use it again - professionally, and I was pleased to "discover" the possible combination of manipulating data with DBase3p and then save the dbf file, and look at it with MS Excell...
After that any report would be automatic and ready to show to anyone.

Well, what I want to mean, is that using just a few of small/simple symbols - (of course each with its own accurate meaning) one can easily tag a record (read game name) for a situation - a simple click/tag does the job of updating its actual status... no big deal - BUT truth is that I don't know what it takes to programers to allow such a simplified situation...

Quote:
There is also the fact that a site full of empty pages with no images (as we'd have to take screenshots or link to mobygames or someone, even though you have to make the gamepages for some of the games we get here...) isn't exactly thrilling.
I think that would not happen - using a general layout common to games NOT READY would be always showing to those who would look for that game: You ACTUALLY HAVE that already - you just lack other info on the page that you get when you search for "bedlam" (e.g.):
Actually you get:
"The search term "bedlam" affected 0 results" !!.
What I WOULD LIKE TO SEE (or something like it):
e.g.
"The search term "bedlam" affected 0 results; Review: on the making"
or "ESA - Game not allowed" or, "Review: Missing", or "Archive:Missing", etc...
The crucial point would be that updating the database would have to be done by the editors, updaters and/or "aprovers".. raising questions of administrative access...
But it would for sure, save precious time to the staff as answering to repeated questions to newbies like me...
Oh, well, I m afraid I went too far with this, but now I hope I made it more clear...