Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Default Magic Carpet

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and download (if available)
Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and download (if available)
What can I say? I'm sorry, but the game sucks complete.
eugene425 is offline                         Send a private message to eugene425
Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene425 View Post
I have played hundreds of games, but I can never say that to at least one of them. It is amazing for me to see you saying it for so many.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
I have played hundreds of games, but I can never say that to at least one of them. It is amazing for me to see you saying it for so many.
I mean, that game - complete nonsense.
eugene425 is offline                         Send a private message to eugene425
Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
I mean, that game - complete nonsense.
I kind of agree, the game isn't complete nonsense but the controls suck.
I have both Magic Carpet 1 and 2 but I have never played either one of them past the first level because of that inverted mouse aiming.

AFAIK there's no way to change that. And in MC1 you can't even configure the keyboard controls (except by using DOSBox keymapper).
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

I don't remember it being so bad. It got very tough near the end and I don't think I ever completely finished it but I remember playing it for many hours and enjoying it.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

what are you guys talking about? this game was fun as hell
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
Admiral Gaskaville

C'mon, this game is a true gem. The controls are a little unconventional, and all levels are more of the same (build castle, fill with mana, destroy others, collects spells and repeat ad nauseam), unlike Magic Carpet 2 which has night and underground levels and a nice variety of objectives.

Just for people who aren't familiarised with this game:

· The objective of every level is to build the biggest castle you can and fill it with mana. PRO TIP: having a castle build means that when you die, you respawn inside it.

· You get mana from slain monsters, but to make it yours you must cast the possession (don't know if I spelt it right) spell on them. Then a ballon comes from your castle, picks it and delivers it to your castle. PRO TIP: you can get mana from possessing neutral buildings (a white flag or light on top of them means you own them).

· Frequently, you'll find that your mana reserves drain too fast, which means you need more mana inside your castle. PRO TIP: If you find a rock structure called dolmen, you can stop over it to replenish your mana reserves faster (the same applies to your castle).

· Spells like whirlwind (or tornado, don't remember the exact name) are useful for giant landworms (they will tear their pieces out of socket). Lightning spells work for air creatures (specially sky dragons). PRO TIP: Most of you would think that Meteor is the most powerful spell, but thats only when destroying enemies. If you want to destroy castles efficiently, use Fire storm or Lightning storm(don't know if they exist in regular Magic Carpet).

· Get all spells from a level and take your time to explore the environment. Sometimes, you have to overcome obstacles and brute force doesn't make it, so be sure to look around, for a teleporter may be hidden nearby.

· When battling an enemy wizard, try to kill it near your castle. Then go to your castle, recharge your mana and use your speed spell to go to your opponents castle and try to raze it. Return to your castle to recharge mana while using the speed spell and possess all enemy mana. PRO TIP: I don't know if this works with this game, but casting possession on the corpse of an enemy wizard makes all non-stored mana of his property yours.

With that said, enjoy.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Concentrate on destroying your opponent's castles. When it is finally destroyed all of his manna is available for collecting. This will weaken him to the point he can be destroyed easily.

Protect your castle and balloons and destroy your enemies balloons. An opponent's balloon is another way to collect manna quickly but expect the balloons to be defended. Hit a balloon when it's owner is pre-occupied with something, like fending off an attack.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 08-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
barbarian
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Eugene, what is your problem, man...

some good ole Abandonian takes the time to post AND review the thing, and the first and only thing you say is that the game sucks...

way to go, good work!

you must feel really proud of yourself now, huh...
having taken alllll that time and trouble to post here that you do not at all respect the posters work and efforts.

go tell your buddies! come on, shoo! now GIT outta here!
barbarian is offline                         Send a private message to barbarian