Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #41
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

we were talking about big numbers and then somebody mentioned infinity, we didn't have any rules about not discussing infinite sets=S

actually an infinite set is quite a biggie if you ask me
Old 26-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #42
Japo
Autonomous human

Yes yes I didn't call off topic, I'd be as guilty as anyone. :P But if we are discussing about all this at the same time we shouldn't confuse different concepts referred to with the same word.

BTW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert...he_Grand_Hotel

Last edited by Japo; 26-10-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 27-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #43
DoomYoshi
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
try imagining it on dimensions. 1d line, 2d whole plane and brand new dimension, 3d next noncollinear vector and you've got another dimension with volume
Another way to imagine the differences between infinities is on a number line. The set of real numbers is infinitely larger than the set of integers for instance.
DoomYoshi is offline                         Send a private message to DoomYoshi
Old 28-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #44
dosraider
Dismembered.

This topic is filled with infinite LULZ.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 03-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #45
Bp103
Game freak

The concept of infinite is a loop, if I could see in a infinite view (if there was nothing blocking my view) i would see the back of my head.

That is how infinite was explained to me....

Infinite is NaN in real world and only expressible on paper and theory?

Lots of simple meaningless threads are becoming intellectual discussions here.

I love this place lots of smart people.:cheesy:

Anyways 9 is the biggest number, where all other Numbers are based on. *walks away with a headache*

Last edited by Bp103; 03-11-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Bp103 is offline                         Send a private message to Bp103
Old 03-11-2008, 05:59 AM   #46
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

You wouldn't see the back of your head. To do that, your sight would not need to be infinite, but curved over the surface of the Earth. And the concept of infinity can not be proved or disproved in physical terms because the human mind has no capacity for comprehending an infinite distance or an infinite set of numbers or objects.

And yes, this place is overflowing with smart people. :thumbs:

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 03-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #47
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomYoshi View Post
I accidentaly figured out two different sized infinities. There are an infinite number of prime numbers. There are also an infinite amount of numbers which are not prime. However, at any given point after 10, the number of prime numbers will be smaller than the number of not prime numbers. Hence, a smaller infinity. Trippy, huh?
Actually, there are as many integers as there are primes. They are both countable sets. Between any two integers, or any two primes, there are only a finite number of elements. A bigger infinity is the set of real numbers. Not only is there an infinite number of them, but there is an infinite nmber of distinct real numbers between any two elements.

The bit with Achilles and the tortoise is that while there are an infinite number of slices of time with Achilles not cathing up to the tortoise, the sum of the durations of that infinite number of instances is a finite number. If the tortoise has a 100 meter head start and scampers at the un-tortoiselike speed of one meter per second to Achilles leisurely (for Achilles) ten meters per second, the total duration of all those instants of time one hundred nineths of a second, for a total distance of one nineth of a kilometer
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 03-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #48
SlowCoder
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbell View Post
Actually, there are as many integers as there are primes. They are both countable sets. Between any two integers, or any two primes, there are only a finite number of elements. A bigger infinity is the set of real numbers. Not only is there an infinite number of them, but there is an infinite nmber of distinct real numbers between any two elements.

The bit with Achilles and the tortoise is that while there are an infinite number of slices of time with Achilles not cathing up to the tortoise, the sum of the durations of that infinite number of instances is a finite number. If the tortoise has a 100 meter head start and scampers at the un-tortoiselike speed of one meter per second to Achilles leisurely (for Achilles) ten meters per second, the total duration of all those instants of time one hundred nineths of a second, for a total distance of one nineth of a kilometer
Is there a smiley dictatiing an exploding head? Oh, well, let's have a go ... :boom:!
SlowCoder is offline                         Send a private message to SlowCoder
Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #49
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Oh dear *goes crosseyed* ... I think I've just gone crosseyed...

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #50
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Infinity is not a number, it's a concept.

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang