Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Baldur's Gate Solo Pure Kensai Part 4

Decided to do the whole of Durlag anyway. After all, it shouldn't effect the werewolf-quest. And I don't remember how to get out from lvl -4.

At the spiders a prot from poison is best, also a potion of defense if possible.
A potion of storm giant STR (24 STR, potn07) is in demand to get the items at least moderatly useful (flametongue, staff of striking). While it lasts you should open the cloak of the shield's chest too. I wouldn't bother with the green rooms loots with this one, and it seems the crypt crawlers do not hold you (they do, I just forgot about my Ring of Freedom), so that's cool.

The problem with the Demon Knight is, it casts stupid spells. So use that mirror. But before that, drink a potion of defense, potion of heroism because of the mirror fiend. Also drink an oil of speed when possible. And healing potions when needed. If youstill have, a potion of 23 STR can also serve good.

Aside this, I checked what happens if you report Aldeth in this chapter. Well, you get arrested, you do not get exp reward, AND he disappears from the game. Crap.

Oh, either way, I want to nominate the vendor at Durlag's Tower the Most Useless Vendor In The Game title.

Went and delt with Sharevok's coronation. The usual consumables were taken: 23 STR potion, oil of speed, potion of defense, potion of heroism.

In Ulgoth's Beard immediately used a Shield Amulet charge (1 charge remains) to avoid instant death, then also an oilof speed when I saw I'm being punished. These lasted until killed every cultist outside Aec'letec's summoning chamber. The time includes buying and drinking healing potions. Figured I won't need them anyway, the running charges are better option. Funny, that I almost never used with this char healing potions. They are too minimal when HP-loss occurs.
Oh, for the cultist on the inside also quaffed a potion of heroism, because that head mage is annoying.

Decided to try Aec'letec. Preparation: prot from magic, 23 STR potion, potion of heroism, oil of speed. Use aganzanar scorcher potion on head cultist. Potion of mirrored eyes keep running. Run around killing cultists. Replenish expiring potion(s), drink healing potions for max HP. Use Kai and bash the demon. Run around for healing between kai-charges. (weapons: main hand: Longtooth, offhand: Poison Dagger)

-------

Prepare to Werewolf Island: bring all kinds ofbuffing potion, and a +3 weapon (that +3 quarterstaff looks welcoming, or maybe the staff of striking can work out, although later might find a +4 vs werewolf dagger which would be even better. If you learnt bastard swords instead of long ones, bring the +3 vs shapeshifters one).
A potion of power if you still have 2+ is a good idea. Also do not forget the Energy Ring as a last resort.
Also bring a Potion of Clarity if you want to mess with the sirens. (only found 3 of these in the game, and one was a bug-respawn in Candlekeep. the other was sold in BG's mage shop)

When entering the ship drinka potion for 0 AC (of defense, or invulnerability), and a potion of heroism. Get the 24 STR potion here.
For the seocnd deck cast Draw Upon Holy Might too. Get the Werebane dagger (if that's your proficiency too). Kai is a perfectly good ability here.

Deck 3 is a bit easier, so just kill stuff as long as it lasts.
Deck 4 is the main fight... As you can move to that doorway and make them attack you one-by-one, it's not that hard.
By the way,here realy shows how strong the Kensai's to-hit bonus is. Just murders everything.
Don't forget to AC0 yourself when fighting Mendas. There were a couple of good potions in the werewolf tunnel if you ran low.

On prophiciencies: of course your choice will be determined whatpart of the trilogy you are playing. Assuming the whole of it, speaking endgame, a twohanded weapon style canbe attractive. With the inherent bonus on weapon speed, these too go to almost nothing, AND you get 10% critical chance instead of 5%. Twohanded options also dealmassive damage per hit, and with greater whirlwind you'll dish out 10 attack per round either way.
I used 3 dagger (easily compeptitive for "best" weapon class in BG1 part, 1 single weapon style (critical hit chance and AC helps early game), 2 two weaponstyle (just pumped to 3), 1 long sword (because you always find a longsword, and it helped against oozes, especialy early-midgame).
Planning on maxing daggers (because why not), maxing flails (because I'm not entirely mad, and don't want to get stuck. So Falil ofAges + Defender of Easthaven is my powergaming optiion), and 2 point still remains to spend. With the Kensai's massive bonuses this can be spent however I want, like hammers (to kill golems, or just dish out massive electric damage on things like the chromatic demon), short swords (Kundane gives +1 attack per round to the main hand!), or just whatever.

Had to position right to prevent Sharevok's goons dispelling my preparation, also to get lucky and Tazok not bash my head, but yes, it's done.

025.jpg

Oh, before I forget: list of "strongestmonsters defeated":
rat Shank wolf Tarnesh hugh spider Silke Bassilus flesh golem revenant Kahrk greater basilisk demon knight

and common items as questitems:
aside the trivial boks-for-the-mage there's only the sphene gem, an angel skin ring, and a history of the unicorn run

Last edited by twillight; 11-01-2019 at 08:35 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight