Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #16
Jerry123

The HIPS systems sound interesting :amused:
Especially the CPU firewall thing. But I guess it would be bad for me. I am a litte paranoid already. If I head to deal with tons of reports and warnings from such a program, I would probably be too afraid to switch on the computer at all.. Just looking at the windows error report log makes me nervous.

But in the meantime, Id like to share my findings with www.sandboxie.com

In short, the software is amazing. I had a few older games lying around which I wanted to try out again anyway. So the list is more or less by accident, but still interesting, I think:
Alien Vs. Predator
Alien Vs. Predator 2
Red Faction
Red Faction 2
Quake 2

They all run flawlessly within Sandboxie. Should work with more modern games, too. Technically, it is all the same.

Take care to install them within the sandbox, however. It is quite easy: Once Sandboxie is installed, you get an explorer extension (right mousebutton) which says "run sandboxed". You then run the setup.exe of the game or application or whatever and it installs.

The software thinks, its installed inside your Progams directory, registry and everything. However it is just sitting inside the sandbox. Once you empty the sandbox, everything is gone. Really nice.

You can have problems with games which install their own system files, however. DirectX would be an example. But that is usually easy to overcome: Just install the software they need not-sandboxed before installing the game.

A DirectX installer should then recognize that the needed version is already installed, and let you finish the rest of the installation of the game.
Jerry123 is offline                         Send a private message to Jerry123