Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Search Forums:
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Is Diablo a role-playing game or not?
Yes, it is. 20 55.56%
No, it's not. 16 44.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #21
Simoneer
Priest of The Order
 
Simoneer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sundsvall, Sweden
Posts: 406
Default

The first thing there... Well, I have no idea what you're trying to say. The latter, however... Agreed. To. The. Max.
__________________
---last.fm
Simoneer is offline                         Send a private message to Simoneer
Old 21-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #22
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire
 
Eagle of Fire's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Valleyfield, Canada
Posts: 4,892
Default

What do you not understand exactly? I was simply saying that may people just don't know better and don't understand how or why either.

For the second point, I was refering to the fact that it is written on the Diablo box itself that it's a RPG, as well as the fact that it is praised as a RPG too when it is obviously not...
__________________
I'm on a hot streak... Literally.
Proud member of The Abandoned since 2005.
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire
Old 21-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #23
Simoneer
Priest of The Order
 
Simoneer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sundsvall, Sweden
Posts: 406
Default

Oh, okay.

About the second point: While I know you were referring to that, I agreed with that people do indeed believe anything written on a box.

Still standing my ground on the Diablo arguement, however.
__________________
---last.fm
Simoneer is offline                         Send a private message to Simoneer
Old 21-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #24
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD
 
The Fifth Horseman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Opole, Poland
Posts: 14,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoneer View Post
In response to The Fifth Horseman: Yeah, you just described what YOU personally want in an RPG. That doesn't make Diablo less of an RPG, though. We all have things we personally want in any game. Personal freakin' preference. It doesn't... uh... ''factually'' affect anything.
Let's approach the matter from a different angle, then: what makes Diablo an RPG?
Apart from the sticker on the box.

Quote:
I, for one, want to be able to make builds rather than having any attribute points distributed automatically.
Customization isn't restricted to the RPG genre, however. Neither is having an experience/development system.

Quote:
And yes, I want some freedom and choices (that covers a big area; Anything from being able to take different directions in the story itself to deciding if you want to kill someone or not).
My point is that in the roleplaying genre, the action elements are at best secondary.
Consider the very source of the name: Role Playing. Playing a role. That in itself indicates that the "gameplay" is plot-driven and the defining part is the "player" experiencing the setting and storyline, as well as the way he interacts with them.

Quote:
I won't say Final Fantasy isn't an RPG because it lacks manual attribute point distribution, freedom, and choices, however. It's still an RPG. Or, by the modern definition: A JRPG. Still an RPG, though. And it has its depth, especially in the battles.

But by that definition, a game lacking combat element would not be an RPG.
Altough the popularized simplified view of role-playing aims to identify it with an experience system and character statistics, that definition is wrong. Both elements are undisputably common in the genre, but by no means define it.

You could take Fallout, throw out the combat and still have a role-playing game. You could do the same with the experience system and even the stats, and the game would still remain an RPG.

You could take Diablo, throw out the combat... and have what, exactly?
Going around, talking to people using pre-determined dialogue lines and bringing them items they asked for?
That, my friend, would not be role-playing but an adventure game.
Truth is that Diablo is defined by combat - to exclusion of everything else - and lack of the player's interaction with the storyline.
__________________

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #25
Tomekk
Master of Orion
 
Tomekk's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Caves, Antique and Barbuda
Posts: 870
Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk
Default

Ok here's my opinion about Diablo:

It's a Hack N Slash/Action RPG. You can create your character, you level up, you get to increase a stat or get a new skill(Diablo 2 only). Then you do some quests whilst going through 16 levels of monster mayhem and then you defeat Diablo and game over, start on another difficulty.

An action RPG focuses more on combat then Role-playing elements, that's why you can't "ask for a reward" or "fall in love with an NPC."

If you want to do stuff like what Fifth said about Fallout or Arcanum then go play a CRPG, not an Action-RPG like Diablo.

Definition of an Action-RPG:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_role-playing_game

And CRPGs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_rpg
__________________
"I want to be able to tell some poor girl i am going to feed off of, that she will see me in her dreams as a dinosaur" - DarthHelmet86

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 21-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #26
Acethor
HECU Marine
 
Acethor's Avatar




 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,242
Default

I agree with Tomekk and everyone else in favour of Diablo 2 being an Action-RPG. Simply put, it is an ACTION GAME with ROLE-PLAYING elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
The point I was trying to bring in, because yes there is quite a long reasoning behind all this, is that the tiny RPG-like elements in Diablo and Diablo II are insignificant in comparison to other elements. Sure, let's call Diablo II an Action/RPG/Adventure/Puzzle/Strategy/Simulation/Arcade game then. It does have some elements of each genre, isn't? (And I won't take no as an answer... )
Excuse me, tiny RPG elements insignificant in comparison to other elements in Diablo? Are you trying to tell us that Diablo 2 has more PUZZLE or STRATEGY or SIMULATION or ARCADE in it than RPG???????????? You have got to be kidding me. You cannot call it any of those because the main elements in the game are:

1.ACTION (running,walking,fighting,clicking)

and

2.RPG (Character Selection/Customization*AKA ROLEPLAYING*,Stat Point Allocation+Experience Gain,)

NOT PUZZLE STRATEGY SIMULATION ARCADE OR ADVENTURE

a. Puzzle (Use your brain to uh, calculate how much damage a carver will do when your wearing some leather armor?)

b. Strategy (Use a Druid, summon a whole bunch of minions, and strategically command them through the battlefield? )

c. Simulation (What the heck?? Ok I guess... A theoretical religious medieval simulation where the devil comes down and kills everyone????)

d. Arcade (...no comment...)

How can you say that ANY of those above have MORE elements than RPG in Diablo 2?

AND......... I never even SEEN what it says on the box and yet I defined it ACTION-RPG from MY OWN EXPERIENCES.

I don't understand why this is so hard for some of you to accept... it is simply neither RPG nor Action it is an ACTION-RPG. It is silly to try to label games with EXACT genres and exact this and that and rogue-like/classic/blah blah blah...

If your too proud about it next time someone asks you just say "ITS AN ACTION GAME - WITH SOME RPG ELEMENTS (also known as an action-rpg."
__________________


We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 21-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #27
Chris
Abandonia Homie
 
Chris's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
RPG was written on the box however and, even if it is false, people caught on to it because of its popularity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acethor View Post
AND......... I never even SEEN what it says on the box and yet I defined it ACTION-RPG from MY OWN EXPERIENCES.
Just take a look
It actually isn't written anywhere..

http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...eCoverId,2599/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...eCoverId,2600/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...eCoverId,2601/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...eCoverId,2602/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...eCoverId,9085/
__________________

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 21-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #28
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age
 
TotalAnarchy's Avatar



 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chisinau, Moldova, Republic of
Posts: 3,147
Default

There are only two genres: "the mental" (Yes, I gave it this name) genre and the "action" genre. The others are just clones or combinations of the two.
__________________
Don't think about the probabilities. The smallest chance can take us a long way forward. It's not like we have anything else to lose.
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 21-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #29
Simoneer
Priest of The Order
 
Simoneer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sundsvall, Sweden
Posts: 406
Default

In reply to The Fifth Horseman:

Even if you don't affect the storyline you do play the role of a character, don't you? And with the online capabilities of Diablo 2, you can do ACTUAL role-playing in the chat. But then again, the same could be done with Counter-freakin'-Strike. So I suppose that doesn't count... at all.


And yeah, I guess I do stand corrected on some points here. But I think I'll turn to Acethor; It's an action RPG. Hence, it IS partly an RPG. Don't say it doesn't have RPG elements. Srsly guiz.
__________________
---last.fm

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 23-04-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Simoneer is offline                         Send a private message to Simoneer
Old 22-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #30
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia
 
gregor's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Agalli, Albania
Posts: 1,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Frankly, what defines RPG genre for me is the freedom of choice and being able to affect the plot.
So where does in your opinion Ultima Underwolrd 1&2 fall then? or Arx fatalis. I kind of always thought of them as RPG. I thought they made them like that so they wouldn't be too static and dependant on "dices".

I can't put my finger on Mount and blade (since it wants to be all or nothing) or Boiling point with it's side missions.

meh.
__________________
Crantius Colto: Fear not. You are safe here with me.
Lifts-Her-Tail: I must finish my cleaning, sir. The mistress will have my head if I do not!
Crantius Colto: Cleaning, eh? I have something for you. Here, polish my spear.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 23-04-2009 at 04:41 PM.
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Closed Thread


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Role Playing Fubb Gaming Zone 95 01-07-2010 07:08 AM
Pen And Paper Role Playing SixApes Forum Games 4 06-12-2006 03:30 PM
How About A Role Playing Section Of Forum punch999 Old Suggestions 38 04-01-2005 05:09 PM
Game Im Playing Danny252 Blah, blah, blah... 19 20-11-2004 10:18 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump
 


The current time is 04:32 PM (GMT)

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.