Baldur's Gate II 11 34.38%
Planescape Torment 10 31.25%
Icewind Dale 1 3.13%
Icewind Dale II 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #31
Scatty
Treasure hunter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob Buhre @ Sep 15 2007, 03:55 AM) [snapback]310959[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Baldurs gate was pretty good but i liked slashing through hordes of enemies.[/b]
If you're looking for slashing through hordes of enemies, you get enough of them in the expansion to Baldur's Gate II, Throne of Bhaal. There's enough opportunities for hack and slash without finesse.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 16-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #32
Forfeit
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Sep 14 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]310884[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
seriously, bg1 was too boring to begin with
[/b]
Nah. It was kind of slow, but I liked it. I liked it because you feel a sort of freedom inside it, and you can do pretty much what you want in the start. In BG2 you already have to deal with Imoen being stolen and the whole deal with the crazy mage.

Now, BG1 had some problems, like the huge landscapes with barely anything in it, a lot of useless npc and stuff like that. But I felt it had more personality than BG2.
Forfeit is offline                         Send a private message to Forfeit
Old 16-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #33
Beltona

Quote:
If you're looking for slashing through hordes of enemies, you get enough of them in the expansion to Baldur's Gate II, Throne of Bhaal. There's enough opportunities for hack and slash without finesse.[/b]
Hmm i never gotten around playing the expansion for baldurs gate 2. I will give it a spin to see what it's like.
Beltona is offline                         Send a private message to Beltona
Old 16-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #34
chumloofah
Game freak

All this "baldur's gate was boring" stuff's a nonsense.
If you followed the story, the pace was bang on.
You had to spend time as a feeble nub, dead from one goblin strike, then help him develop into the bad behind messiah he truly is.
Of course, if you went exploring every map you might be surprised to find that the woods consist of mostly trees, hills were predominantly hills and so on.
The npc action was, bizarrely, more focussed in towns.
Especially (is this blowing your mind yet?) in the city.
Spend all your time scouring the wilderness and expect to be bored.
chumloofah is offline                         Send a private message to chumloofah
Old 16-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #35
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Another thing about BG1: I found that the number of side quests kept me from being bored. If I was bored of following the main story, there were always a hundred million trillion side quests, one of my favourite ones were the rescue of Minsk's companion Dynaheir (or what the hell her name was), as well as the supprises in Beregost. Plenty of them there were too.

Just my two bits.
Old 17-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #36
bobson
Game is over

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 13 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]310657[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I've recently saw BG and IWD compilations available in of the the local stores, but I don't want to buy both of them at once.
Never played any game from either series, and would like to know which series would you recommend to pick up first.
[/b]
Many replied for your question and I'll be another.

It depends on what You like. If You prefer story, many quests, sub-quests, mini quests in sub-quests, non-linear game - choose BG GOLD. If You like to smash everybody, gain levels, get gold, buy more and more powerful swords and axes and you do not care, that there is always one way to go (just play it simple) - choose IwD GOLD.

And now some words of my own opinion in my own poll

I played all of the games from this poll, and each one had something interesting ... ok I didn't liked first BG - too many walking around ...

My list of quality:
1. Torment (completed twice)
2. BG II (after three months ... got bored - never finished)
3. IwD (completed with both add-ons)
4. IwD II (completed)
5. BG (I do not like)
Old 18-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #37
Tito
Alley Cat

I personally feel the walking around thing added to the first BG. It gave me more freedom, and a great feeling when, after wandering around for a while, I found this little sub-quest of a fairy protecting a tree for some tugs, or a nude man hiding in the closet of a young woman's bedroom. The game actually gave you small nice rewards for exploration.

BG2 was, while having quite a lot of freedom and exploration, more linear. And IWD is way too Diablo like for my taste (not that I don't like Diablo, but it is not the kind of thing I expect from a Forgotten Realms game).

I would love to try Torment, but I've been unable 'til now.
Old 19-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #38
Forfeit
Forum hobbit

Get it, its definitaly golden.

And even through its pretty linear, there is just so much stuff to do, read and experience everywhere that the fact you dont have a lot of say in the story doesnt even matter. Just figuring out the story is enough.
Forfeit is offline                         Send a private message to Forfeit
Old 22-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #39
chumloofah
Game freak

No need to say that not having a lot of say in the story is necessarily a bad thing.
Being pulled along a certain path by "fate" or whatever is a very definite vibe in Torment.
There's a lot of history in that game, and events have momentum as well as being under the influence of agents other than yourself.
You can go with the flow to the end of the story, or you can seek out every bit of information, get closer to understanding what's going on and still going with the flow for lack of a realistic alternative.
Having "four different endings!" in every game can be a bit contrived at times, you know
chumloofah is offline                         Send a private message to chumloofah
Old 02-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #40
bobson
Game is over

Planescape is winning