Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download

Last edited by Luchsen; 25-01-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 27-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I didn't mention the 'plot' for this game in my review Obviously you're a medicine fighting off viral snot in Hexxagon 2 :P
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 27-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

re-spect reup.. that you could actually write 3 paragraphs of review for THAT game
Old 28-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Excellent review indeed.
Curious to see the difference between 1 and 2 (so far I've only played 1) and if there is any difference at all in AI.
Old 28-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It should be a little bit more difficult to beat the PC in version 2. If you play it long enough you start to detect the playing patterns however, and use this to your advantage And it's one of my talents to talk long about nothing at all :P
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 28-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Hexagon was a good game back in the days when the shareware games were at their prime. The concept was easy: you get some kind of a demo from a freelancer conceptor, and if you want the full game you send money to the guy who will ship you the full game.

While some shareware games were really great back in the days (especially Apogee and Epic Megagames ones), this one shows the ugly truth of the average: the game was only polished slightly from the first game, and there is so little options to choose from that you can't really warrant a new purchase from the new graphics. I mean: come on! Only 2 sets of pawns with no way to choose more if they get on your nerve? Only one big board without imagination, with no other preset choices to choose from? Also, the computer Brainiac, even at hard, is easy to beat.

Bottom of line: this game is nice. Just a tiny little more, and it could have been good, or even great... But that's shareware for ya.

I voted 2.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Elon Yariv
Abandonia nerd

I just made an easy crainiac, fight the hard crainiac, by mistake. Guess who won, the stupid one- the easy crainiac. I think thats the main flaw in the game the Brainiac's AI, he is so stupid. He only attacks never thinks what the consequences will be, he never thinks of defensive moves, he might hop with a pawn and sometimes open holes with 6 pawns around them, he also doesn't know that hoping and eating two is quite the same as cloning and eating only one.
But it's terribly fun to fight against a friend, and it can be hard then.

Hexxagon II has nothing new but graphics? Thats annoying. Also the graphics in Hexxagon I are nicer, the board might be a bit boring but at list the background is a bit intresting, at list more then in II. Also I like the pearls and rubies better then the antidotes and germs, don't know why but I think they look better.

I just made an easy crainiac, fight the hard crainiac, by mistake. Guess who won, the stupid one- the easy crainiac. I think thats the main flaw in the game the Brainiac's AI, he is so stupid. He only attacks never thinks what the consequences will be, he never thinks of defensive moves, he might hop with a pawn and sometimes open holes with 6 pawns around them, he also doesn't know that hoping and eating two is quite the same as cloning and eating only one.
But it's terribly fun to fight against a friend, and it can be hard then.

Hexxagon II has nothing new but graphics? Thats annoying. Also the graphics in Hexxagon I are nicer, the board might be a bit boring but at list the background is a bit intresting, at list more then in II. Also I like the pearls and rubies better then the antidotes and germs, don't know why but I think they look better.
Elon Yariv is offline                         Send a private message to Elon Yariv
Old 02-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I did notice though in both Hexx 1 and 2 that a crainiac hard will attempt to close in on you, try to make sure you won't be able to access part of the board anymore.
Plus I think the AI is doing a decent job in the end-game when there are only 3 free fields.

But indeed they don't pose much of a challenge... In particular on boards with a lot of holes it's ridiculously easy to close in any crainiac. In some cases it's even possible to eliminate its pawns completely.