Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
Mad_Man

Default The most important, influencial, awesome games that changed our world!

Yup guys and girls, I have a big request to you all. I want you to tell me which games made the biggest impact on you, what games made you cry, smile, feel horror or completely changed your mood, were giving you chills, thrills or that made you think different. I'm asking you to tell us all about magnum opus of your gaming experience. It's genre doesn't matter, nor the way how world reacted (it doesn't have to be a bestseller), only your opinion matters. Let us hear why these games were so special for you. Why I want to know this? I want to know which games should be played by a man, who truly believes that he's a gamer and is proud of it. Which worlds should be seen, which histoy should be known, which gameplay should be experienced. A list of games that should be known by a man who claims he's a "true gamer".

At this time my games would be:
Legacy of Kain Series -> Soul Reaver II

Why this title? Hell, first game in the series was isometric hack 'n slash, which could be a severe rival to Diablo. I didn't have the possibility to play this game properly yet but i will, because this is the begining of great history of a man who seeks revenge after his death and resurrection as a vampire. Second game was a 3D action platformer game with puzzles and open structure, but the biggest impact on me did 4th game - Soul Reaver II. Among pretty linear parts of games nad little tiring action sequences, game provided great story, crazy twists and time travel! Imagine that in first game we fight as Kain, but in second we are his nemesis, Raziel, who chases him through whole world. Once beaten enemies still exists in game world since we can time-travel, we can hear the intriguing story from both sides and affect it. I'm not even mentioning about possibility to switch between astral and physical world. Adding perfect acting voices, astonishing climate and music we end having one of the greatest game series. Its pity that the last part wasn't as good as I expected.

Fallout - What we would do without Fallout? It's obvious this game should be on the list. I won't be saying too much about it cuz everybody knows this game so I'll make it quick - good and refreshing idea of placing RPG in post-nuclear war (but not prime - wasteland took that place) adding tour-based fighting mechanic. What's more, everything is perfectly designed, making this game one of the best.

Front Mission - Had to put this on. It's isometric tour-based strategy. Here we have something different about future - all te countries are joining to create unions, yet wars are still pretty common. On the battlefields however, wanzers are playing the biggest role. Wanzers are gigantic mechs and we're taking role of pilot, who happen to be in pretty tough situation - his girlfriend has been killed on his eyes. Story gives us more situations like that, telling us that ways of fighting will change, but war is always a bad decision. I really like the way we can create our wanzers. We can customize our machines by exchanging parts like arms or body or giving special equipment like guns, missles or melee weapons (!). What's more whole artwork seems to be just perfect. Game was released on SNES in Japan, but there are some fan translations. Right now I'm battling through Front Mission 3 - 30 hours and still no end on sight

I'll post some more later. Right now I'm waiting for your greatest games that every single player should know
Mad_Man is offline                         Send a private message to Mad_Man
Old 04-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

soul reaver, fine. but soul reaver 2? that's like a deranged offspring, carrying only the good name of the first soul reaver bringing nothing new but repetitiveness and less good gameplay

soul reaver 1, however, was one of the best 3d platformers i've ever played
Old 04-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Mad_Man

I must admit that Soul Reaver II was something different from the first game, yet the second part somehow made my head spin by story. Characters seemed to me more "real" than in the first part, graphics, music and narration gave this specific feeling of gloom and decay, and we could met characters who have been killed in the proper timeline. Game was very linear, but I really don't mind when character development and evolving story are so immerse

Well, I'm waiting for you guys and girls to tell something about yours game of choice. Don't be afraid, this thread won't bite
Mad_Man is offline                         Send a private message to Mad_Man
Old 04-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Maniac Mansion! :thumbs:

It was one of the first games where you could switch between characters, and control their actions independantly.. Plus, it had tentacles LOL

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 05-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Man View Post
At this time my games would be:
Legacy of Kain Series -> Soul Reaver II

Why this title? Hell, first game in the series was isometric hack 'n slash, which could be a severe rival to Diablo. I didn't have the possibility to play this game properly yet but i will, because this is the begining of great history of a man who seeks revenge after his death and resurrection as a vampire.
Actually it's top-down, and it's more of an action game then akin to Diablo, but it is a fine game And a brutal one too.

Also, my entry would be Scorch: The mother of all games. Title says it all
Old 05-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

MechCommander.

I just can't get enough of this game.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
Sarin
Forum hobbit

Fallout, I'll agree on this.

Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. I'm sure I don't have to explain those.

Elite. Classic, I wouldn't be surprised if its legacy would live well over 50 years after its first relase.

Heroes of Might and Magic series.

Quite surprisingly, Homeworld (and its addon Cataclysm) took quite some time from me lately. In both cases, I got so immersed that it took me just two nights to beat HW and one more to beat Cataclysm. And that happens very rarely for me, I rarely spend more than hour straight doing one thing.

Last edited by Sarin; 12-04-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Sarin is offline                         Send a private message to Sarin
Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
CaitSith
Abandonia nerd

No Contest. Beneath a Steel Sky. I probably never would have got into games if it wasn't for the demo of this on my old PC. and then I spent 4 long years trying to find it again.
CaitSith is offline                         Send a private message to CaitSith
Old 12-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
supa_mario
Abandonia nerd

It may not be a PC game but Super Sario Bros pretty much revolutionised the platform genre. Not to mention almost single handedly end the video game crash of 1983.
supa_mario is offline                         Send a private message to supa_mario
Old 12-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Unreal Tournament, Heroes of Might and Magic, Master of Orion 2, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Total Annihilation for me

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk