Old 28-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Sold out at E-cdrom, but still sold at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/RANDOM-GAMES-04-1115...9686&sr=8-1
Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
skepticcs

Default Vikings - The Strategy Of Ultimate Conquest

I know this was checked a few years back and found to be sold, but would it be a problem to reconsider this again? The game is sold on Amazon.com by several individuals and independent vendors (http://www.amazon.com/VIKINGS-STRATE.../dp/B0002JY5GE) but I cannot find any information on who owns the game license. I've found several "abandonware" sites which claim to have the game available for download but require you to take outside surveys or download obvious spy-/malware programs to do so, which calls into the question their validity.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject about which I'm posting. I just really want to play this game!

Thanks!
skepticcs is offline                         Send a private message to skepticcs
Old 07-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

you shouldn't have created new topic, you could use existing one. Merging the topics...

btw, I have to different rips and I have been testing them last year. Played the game in the 90s and wanted to play again. The problem is, game graphics doesn't work well in winXP and later, so I dropped reviewing it, at least for now.

Hopefully it should be abw by now. It's been a while.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 07-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
skepticcs

Thanks, Marko! I didn't post in the old thread because I thought it had been moved to some kind of denied requests forum. Sorry.

Have there been any tests on how this game works with Vista/W7?
skepticcs is offline                         Send a private message to skepticcs
Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
skepticcs

Sorry. Just realized you said XP and later editions. Bummer.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You need win32.dll or something to run the game on "newer-than-win98" windows. After you managed to get it running, you will have problem with graphics. You will almost always get the black screen, although the game is working fine, besides graphics. So even on the completely black screen you will be able to move the mouse and you will start getting messages in the lower part of the screen. I mean, not messages but the names of the options where your cursor is pointing. Clicking right will make that option visible, either if you are in the menu, or somewhere in game like in the village.

I found out that alt+tabbing out the game and alt-tabbing back to the game makes the current screen completely visible. But only that screen, as soon as you click on something you get new screen (entire black again). However, since there isn't so much new stuff in the game, yo will eventually stop alt-tabbing since it is very slow, but learn where desired options are and simply go like that. I don't think that black screen is much of a problem when traveling the map or in the battle, since black stays only at the parts that are static. So you just need to alt-tab once when you start traveling. However, this problem with graphics also prevented me from choosing different towns. I could choose different nation, but after that you could choose starting town, but due to this problem I wasn't able to do so, so I just played from the default town.

I said to myself that I will test it on the old PC with win98 but still haven't obviously.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Did I do something wrong when merging so this topic ended up here or someone did that on purpose?

And can someone please re-check the status of this game since it's been 15 years since it was released.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
Did I do something wrong when merging so this topic ended up here or someone did that on purpose?
I moved it here since no Buylinks in this Thread are valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
And can someone please re-check the status of this game since it's been 15 years since it was released.
That is what the Requests-Board is for. This is the same as for tht 5 Pages full of Threads. ^^

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 09-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #20
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Oh, I saw that SOLD is left in the title so I thought it won't be re-checked. thx