Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #881
Spookyfish
Game freak

I secure the starting rooms, post two goons at every corridor, and send proceed cleaning out anyone who doesn't jump out in a lame attempt to shoot me. It's when I notice a blaster launcher, a sectoid, or an etheral that I pull up my skirt and run like crazy, usually with some grenade throwing, suicidal runs with demolition charges, and lots of things that go boom. I love suicidal rookies with primed demolition charges .

Rookie: For mankind!
Alien 1: What the hell is that guy doing?
Alien 2: Screaming and running at us with a thing that looks dangerous I would say.
Alien 1: Really?
Rookie: Curses! Two TU's short for throwing it at you! DIE!
Alien 2: Is that a swagger stick?
Alien 1: I think it's a stun prod.
Rookie: Eat electricution, SCUM!
Alien 2: Gah!
Alien 1: To hell with this...
Rookie: Gaaah!
Alien 1: Dude, you okay?
Alien 2: Look, gingerbreadmen!
(kabom)

... being sleepy kicks behind LOL.
Spookyfish is offline                         Send a private message to Spookyfish
Old 09-04-2005, 02:37 AM   #882
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Spookyfish+Apr 8 2005, 10:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spookyfish @ Apr 8 2005, 10:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jman4117@Apr 8 2005, 08:32 PM
Flee? how do they "flee"?
They panic, and they run .

No, I don't think they count. Only dead / captured ones.

A question... Has anyone actually attacked an alien base in the way you're "supposed" to do it? That is, blowing up the base's control room? Or have you all just gunned the aliens down like any sane being would do LOL? [/b][/quote]
Even though it's more fun to run around the hallways, I'm lazy (and cautious.. played No Reloads for so long that it's my playing style now) so I just camp the green rooms until most aliens are dead. Then I send a couple of guys to the command center to mop up. It worked well without MC, but it's easy as pie with MC.
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 09-04-2005, 06:12 AM   #883
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Ah, if only you could use Stun Rods as stunning javelins... mmm... that would be good. Apart from that if you wanted to pass it onto someone upfield, you would be screwed.

Maybe two throw commands like 'Throw' and 'Stun Throw' with more TUs for Stun Throw. LOL
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 09-04-2005, 07:41 AM   #884
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I did win a mission like this by destroying the centre, I think. I had covered most of the base with my soldiers and killed a large number of aliens. I had a single rocket tank in the centre of the base. I opened the large door, proceeded like 1 tile forward and it saw aliens upstairs. I shot them with the rocket tank and there were several explosion in a cyclical pattern, mission ended there. I am not 100% sure though if it ended because of destroying the centre or if those were the last aliens in the base. :crazy:

One question guys, how do you know in advance that a spaceship or a base belongs to certain alien species? Is it something obvious that I haven't noticed or is it that you know after you have attacked them with ground forces?

I always play without reloads now and I find it very exciting and you are truly worried as to what might happen to your soldiers. Also you tend to follow better tactics and covering behind anything, from trees, to bins to furniture etc. It feels so realistic!
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 09-04-2005, 08:55 AM   #885
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

There is a technology called the Hyperwave Decoder that you get from capturing a live navigator or technician (either will do) that beulids a facility in your base that has a 100% success rate on detecting UFOs and tells you who is flying them, where they are going and where thet came from. Very handy, but takes a long time to build.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 09-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #886
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

But you still don't know what alien race the bases belong to.

I've never finished cleaning up an alien base by blowing up the control room, I didn't know you were supposed to do that. Of course if I didn't need to capture anyone alive, I blew the thing up anyway, but probably not all 4 tables, since the missions just continued.

Panicking aliens still have to be shot.

Something I've just remembered (though too late to save my rookies): Crysalids will walk through holes you've just blown into a wall at the 2nd or 3rd storey. Though I still don't know if they'd "step" from the roof as well.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #887
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Generally you can tell who a base belongs to once you have an HPG by scanning the UFO's around the area of the base and if they have base as thier mission and they are supply then the race in the UFO is most likely the race of the base.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 09-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #888
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Apr 9 2005, 09:55 AM
There is a technology called the Hyperwave Decoder that you get from capturing a live navigator or technician (either will do) that beulids a facility in your base that has a 100% success rate on detecting UFOs and tells you who is flying them, where they are going and where thet came from. Very handy, but takes a long time to build.
HyperWaveDecoder has the same detection-rate as Large Radar.
That's why ppl here whine over loosing countries when no UFO landed.

An infilration-mission ALWAYS consists of 2 Battleships
A Base-mission ALWAYS consists of 1 Large scout, 2 Surply-ships, 1 Terror-ship and 1 Battleship
An Abduction-mission ALWAYS concists of 2 Abdutors

If you notice any of the larger ships with those types of missions, there are more to come...
Old 09-04-2005, 03:18 PM   #889
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan+Apr 9 2005, 01:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Titan @ Apr 9 2005, 01:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PrejudiceSucks@Apr 9 2005, 09:55 AM
HyperWaveDecoder has the same detection-rate as Large Radar.
That's why ppl here whine over loosing countries when no UFO landed.

An infilration-mission ALWAYS consists of 2 Battleships
A Base-mission ALWAYS consists of 1 Large scout, 2 Surply-ships, 1 Terror-ship and 1 Battleship
An Abduction-mission ALWAYS concists of 2 Abdutors

If you notice any of the larger ships with those types of missions, there are more to come... [/b][/quote]
Are you sure? I do sometimes get defecting countries without seeing any Infiltration missions, which is consistent with what you said. But:

http://www.the-spoiler.com/STRATEGY/Microp....defense.1.html

seems to think that hyperwave has a 100% detection rate.
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 09-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #890
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

It looks like Titan is right, and that a hyperwave decoder doesn't have a 100% detection rate. I've sometimes lost countries in which my base was positioned in the middle, and I intercepted every single UFO that was detected.

On the other hand, I've started playing ufo again since a few days, and so far countries never defect for more than 1 month, I always get them back the next month.