Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #71
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Not that I know of, sorry. Try www.mobygames.com and see what they say. As a kid I hated this game for the simple reason that, at a certain point, Mananann (wasn't that the name of some Celtic god of destruction?) would come back and turn you into powder. We couldn't get any further than that, and I despise Roberta Williams to this day. And I always use walkthroughs now, simply because I don't have enough time to try figure out a game designed primarily to sell hintbooks. :Grr:

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 27-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #72
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

There's a VGA fan remake. I loved this game as a kid. The dying and trying to figure out what to do was part of the fun and challenge. It's what made these games take weeks or months to win when you could beat them in just a few hours if you knew what to do. And when you finally figured out what to do and advanced a little further, it was very satisfying, especially when you got to see a new screen. I rarely used a hint book. I won this game without one. I remember I was stuck in Police Quest forever and finally had to call the hint line to figure out how to get rid of Sweet Cheeks. King's Quest IV was a lot worse. Finding the bridle was probably impossible without a hint. I remember a friend told me where it was and I still couldn't find it. I don't remember if I had to look up a hint or not.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 27-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #73
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

King's Quest III VGA
Old 28-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #74
Surgeon
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchsen View Post
But that isn't as 'complete' as the first two, right?

Also, are all King's Quests (never played any but the first) identical in style, or there is difference?
Surgeon is offline                         Send a private message to Surgeon
Old 28-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #75
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

Isn't as complete? It's the exact same as the original except it uses interface and graphics reminiscent of the VGA games.

All of the games share characters and locations and have overaching plots.

King's Quest 1 is pretty simple compared to the sequels. I think each game became more interesting and creative and refined with each new game. King's Quest 1-3 are similar graphically, although I think the story gets better with each one. I think King's Quest 3 has the best story of the early games and is the best game overall. I liked how it's a departure from the other games, but still ties into them.

King's Quest 4 was a minor technical leap over the first 3.

King's Quest 5 was a huge technical leap since it's the first game in the series to use VGA graphics and the new icon interface instead of a text parser.

King's Quest 6 is probably the best game in the series.

King's Quest 7 was too simple and girly for me. I wanted to blow my brains out playing it. It's more like an interactive Disney cartoon aimed at young children, especially girls.

King's Quest 8 was a huge departure for the series. It's in a completely 3D world and heavily focused on combat, which would be all well and good but I think the graphics are ugly and the gameplay is boring, and it's incredibly buggy and hard to get working on current systems. Where I think the old original games look excellent despite their simple graphics, I think King's Quest 8 looks ugly with its low polygon models, flat textures, and low draw distance.

It's best to play the games in order because there is a continuous story between each one. You won't miss much playing them out of order, but I think it helps to appreciate the games more.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #76
Surgeon
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxor127 View Post
Isn't as complete? It's the exact same as the original except it uses interface and graphics reminiscent of the VGA games.

All of the games share characters and locations and have overaching plots.

King's Quest 1 is pretty simple compared to the sequels. I think each game became more interesting and creative and refined with each new game. King's Quest 1-3 are similar graphically, although I think the story gets better with each one. I think King's Quest 3 has the best story of the early games and is the best game overall. I liked how it's a departure from the other games, but still ties into them.

King's Quest 4 was a minor technical leap over the first 3.

King's Quest 5 was a huge technical leap since it's the first game in the series to use VGA graphics and the new icon interface instead of a text parser.

King's Quest 6 is probably the best game in the series.

King's Quest 7 was too simple and girly for me. I wanted to blow my brains out playing it. It's more like an interactive Disney cartoon aimed at young children, especially girls.

King's Quest 8 was a huge departure for the series. It's in a completely 3D world and heavily focused on combat, which would be all well and good but I think the graphics are ugly and the gameplay is boring, and it's incredibly buggy and hard to get working on current systems. Where I think the old original games look excellent despite their simple graphics, I think King's Quest 8 looks ugly with its low polygon models, flat textures, and low draw distance.

It's best to play the games in order because there is a continuous story between each one. You won't miss much playing them out of order, but I think it helps to appreciate the games more.
I meant, the first King's Quest doesn't seem like something I'm looking for, an adventure game. There's virtually no talk whatsoever.
Surgeon is offline                         Send a private message to Surgeon
Old 12-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #77
SurgeonNotLogged
Default Adventure game

Do the later King's Quests seem more like classical adventure games than the first (I like games with dialogue, especially dialogue options, etc...).

Old 12-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #78
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

From King's Quest 5 and upwards they no longer use the text parser so they have dialogue options/dialogue trees
Old 28-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #79
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I played this game so much as a kid, I never saved just loaded my dad's saves. I thought I was playing the game correctly, but then again I was only four. The game is hard if you don't know what you are doing, or how long the wizard is going to be away, however I still find it a really fun game to play. Just like most Sierra games you can die in some many ways, alot of them you won't know about until its too late, so save often and don't just keep saving over the same file make new ones and you should be fine.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 28-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #80
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

It's impossible without the manual. The spellbook was pretty much copy protection. Back when copy protection was fun and interestingly integrated into the game.