Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #71
Himmler
Trollmaster General

if it's an iso file, you must mount it as a virtual drive with daemontools or alcohol120%(or smth like that)
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 13-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #72
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Check DOSBox readme.
If you have the actual CD and it's working, you just have to mount the CD drive (same as mounting the root of any other drive in DOSBox, except you add -t cdrom ).
If you have a CD image (ISO, BIN and so on), you can mount it using the IMGMOUNT command. It works almost identical to the regular MOUNT command for CD drives, except you have to specify the location of the image file instead of specifying the drive to mount.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #73
Unregistered5126478124
Default mounting the CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Check DOSBox readme.
If you have the actual CD and it's working, you just have to mount the CD drive (same as mounting the root of any other drive in DOSBox, except you add -t cdrom ).
If you have a CD image (ISO, BIN and so on), you can mount it using the IMGMOUNT command. It works almost identical to the regular MOUNT command for CD drives, except you have to specify the location of the image file instead of specifying the drive to mount.

i did try mounting it, however it doesn't launch the game, any command i gotta use to launch it ?

Old 13-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #74
Unregistered5126478124
Default the launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered5126478124 View Post
i did try mounting it, however it doesn't launch the game, any command i gotta use to launch it ?

alright, so now i got mounted my CDromdrive (E) to the D-drive on DOS.. i typed dir, to get a list of possible install options / setup stuff... i typed SETUP and i got a note saying "This game requires microsoft windows"... help :>

Old 13-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #75
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

What I wonder about is: The game page says the game is compatible with XP and VDMSound but not DOSBox! Can someone tell me if this is an error or if it has to be run under XP/VDMSound, and if it can be run under Win7?
Old 13-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #76
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Runs perfect without any glitch in dosbox 0.73+W3.X

A complete howto set W3.x up in dosbox:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405
Quote:
Ahwell, as I have some free time:
<- click on pics

Advisable is:
Get the CD image
Allow VfW (video for windows) to install in dosbox/W3.X
All works fine, intro/outro movies, sounds/music, news, etcetera etcetera... blah blah blah.
Quote:
alright, so now i got mounted my CDromdrive (E) to the D-drive on DOS.. i typed dir, to get a list of possible install options / setup stuff... i typed SETUP and i got a note saying "This game requires microsoft windows"... help :>
It's a Win3.x game, if you want to run it in dosbox you need to install Win3.x in dosbox first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Midget View Post
What I wonder about is: The game page says the game is compatible with XP and VDMSound but not DOSBox! Can someone tell me if this is an error or if it has to be run under XP/VDMSound, and if it can be run under Win7?
Do as you want, but personally I even won't try to run a Win3 or Win9x game on a modern OS.
The last thing I want is some ol'applic installing obsolete DLLs and whatever/whatnots on my new stuff.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 13-07-2010 at 08:23 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 13-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #77
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Methinks the Win 3.x _detail_ there might be the answer ^^
Old 13-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #78
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
i did try mounting it, however it doesn't launch the game,
Standard behavior. DOS wasn't big on autoruns and plug-and-play, and neither is DOSBox.

Quote:
Try DOSBox set up with a copy of Windows 3.x . That seems to work just fine here.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #79
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
... i am slightly getting used to dosbox, but i have no idea how to set it all up with "ISO" ? etc etc etc, i'm using windows 7 and i have the CDrom for this game.
Also, if setting up dosbox 0.74/Win3.x or VPC MsDos/Win3 it too complicated, and that's for all those on Win7, 32 or 64, you can get VirtualXP mode for Win7 (free) from MS, this game runs in the Win7/VirtualXP mode soft.

Note: you don't need to set up XP, you can download a 'ready to run' XP VHD directly from MS.
More info if needed:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

However keep in mind, running W3.x games in WindowsXP mode on Win7 is matter of error and trial, many will run and many won't, after all, WindowsXP mode isn't developed with gaming in mind.
The best way to run W3.x on a modern OS is still the combination Dosbox 0.74/W3.x.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 15-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #80
Unregistered5126478124
Default W3.x ?

Quote:
Also, if setting up dosbox 0.74/Win3.x or VPC MsDos/Win3 it too complicated, and that's for all those on Win7, 32 or 64, you can get VirtualXP mode for Win7 (free) from MS, this game runs in the Win7/VirtualXP mode soft.

Note: you don't need to set up XP, you can download a 'ready to run' XP VHD directly from MS.
More info if needed:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

However keep in mind, running W3.x games in WindowsXP mode on Win7 is matter of error and trial, many will run and many won't, after all, WindowsXP mode isn't developed with gaming in mind.
The best way to run W3.x on a modern OS is still the combination Dosbox 0.74/W3.x.
Now the question is where to get the W3.x as it doesn't seem to be freeware?