Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #71
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

I emailed this guy a few days ago, but still not had any reply. <_<

If I email him again, does anyone else want their reviews removed from his site?

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 17-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #72
The Spider Mastermind
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carpetsmoker @ Jan 17 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]275310[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
In the eastern Europe, warez were very widespread until a few years ago. In fact, they were more or less publicly accepted as the means of acquiring new software and games.
That still remains in the peoples' mindset.[/b]
And this is different in the rest of the world....?

In any case, Gregor is right, the Czech republic joined the EU in 2004, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that the stuff Muncinski is pulling is pretty illegal.

Just the fact that he's selling abandonware is illegal, which is something different than offering it for free and kindly asking for a donation.
[/b]
Technically speaking, I don't think he's actually selling the abandonware itself, certainly not the stuff from Ab and HOTU, he's just charging you to find it. I reckon the only thing he could possibly be done for is mis-representing his service since he doesn't tell you that he's merely charging you to find it, instead of charging you for the product itself.
The Spider Mastermind is offline                         Send a private message to The Spider Mastermind
Old 18-01-2007, 01:26 AM   #73
plix
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Spider Mastermind @ Jan 17 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]275403[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Technically speaking, I don't think he's actually selling the abandonware itself, certainly not the stuff from Ab and HOTU, he's just charging you to find it. I reckon the only thing he could possibly be done for is mis-representing his service since he doesn't tell you that he's merely charging you to find it, instead of charging you for the product itself.
[/b]
I'm not up to date on EU directives -- and certainly not which of them has been adopted by the Czech Republic -- but in the US that would be enough to qualify as criminal facilitation.

Frankly, threatening this guy does not work. None of us has the influence to set a civil or criminal case in motion against this guy and, frankly, the Czechs have more important things to worry about than some low-level, petty-criminal clown like this guy. Furthermore, remember that anyone from the abandonware community trying to bring charges automatically implicates themselves in the execution of copyright infringement (remember that abandonware isn't exactly legal to begin with).
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 18-01-2007, 03:03 AM   #74
Frodo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Spider Mastermind @ Jan 17 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]275403[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]
He is also stealing reviews from AB and other places. He makes it seem like he made those reviews himself for his own site. :wallbash:

Old 18-01-2007, 03:18 AM   #75
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frodo @ Jan 18 2007, 05:03 AM) [snapback]275441[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Spider Mastermind @ Jan 17 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]275403[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
He is also stealing reviews from AB and other places. He makes it seem like he made those reviews himself for his own site. :wallbash:
[/b][/quote]

How irritating it may be (and it is, no mistake about that), it seems to me that this is evidence that there is Law, and there is Justice, but these two are not the same thing, in case anyone was still wondering. Is the reviews copyrighted? If not, then I don't think there's a law that will deny him the "right" to use these reviews. Merely "conveniently forgetting" where he got the reviews doesn't explicit mean he wrote them himself, and I'm afraid that's how the Law can accept these thefts. If, on the other hand, he states he actually wrote the reviews, then I suppose there will be a law against that, IF it can be proven he did not. But still, as long as the reviews are not coyrighted, he will go free, I guess. Punch line: I will not hold my breath waiting for the law to set things straight.

(PS: I read how this guy, who was never, in any way, associated with Linux, copyrighted the Linux name and demanded royalties. The law accepted that, but a bunch of people including Linus, sued him and it was settled so the name was handed to Linus. That story is found on Wiki.)
Old 18-01-2007, 04:57 AM   #76
plix
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Jan 17 2007, 04:43 AM) [snapback]275268[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
what dooyu mean "because of his location"? He is in Czech republic isn't he? that's in EU and they must comply to EU regulation, directives and laws on Copyright. Their laws are made in such a way to comply to them.[/b]
For what it's worth, he's been operating since before the Czech Republic joined the EU.

That aside, EU directives are just that: directives. They are not laws and it usually takes some time for said directives to be adopted. Notably, the EU Copyright Directive has yet to be adopted by the Czech Republic (Spain being the only other country to not yet adopt this directive). A European Constitution would change this, but it remains a rather far-off possibility.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Jan 17 2007, 04:43 AM) [snapback]275268[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The had to change them before they could even get accepted as members. so i don't see location as a problem.[/b]
Simply wrong (only some conditions must be met for accession).
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 18-01-2007, 06:27 AM   #77
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

maybe we should pay him a visit. or send someone to pay him a visit.

you know how it is... accidents do happen.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 18-01-2007, 06:35 AM   #78
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Yeah well I have a plan and you guys may or may not like it. What I will do is make an abandonware website and email a link to the guy after I have put a few games that he does not have up. Then if he starts trying to use them i'll be able to see how much traffic is being used. But I will put warning .txt files in once the downloads start getting popular and expose this guy to his so called customers. Then I will be able to suggest that he may have been doing the same to other sites and wham he has been caught. Over the next 2 days anyone who wants to can post in this topic and say yes do it or no don't I will then decide if I think there is enough support.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 18-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #79
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sounds like a plan.

Quote:
Is the reviews copyrighted?[/b]
If I remember right, it's more or less automatic.
Unless the author places a notice that the review is public domain, nobody can utilize it without permission.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #80
Frodo

Sounds like a GOOD plan.