Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #61
Raffles

You need to use the latest version of DOSBox for The Two Towers to run properly. It had some graphics issues that weren't fixed until fairly recently, as far as I remember.

Old 19-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #62
Taran assistant pig-keeper

This game is one of the greatest--I actually liked it more than the 2cnd part, because the whole thing was tighter-knit.

Some questions:

1. I found the Torc of Maladan, but I have no clue what it does. Does anyone know? I DO know that if you find it with Aethelwyn, it's one of the situations where she turns traitor on you. (This didn't happen to me until i was leaving Bree, the first time I played it.)
Ralf brogan wants the Torc of Maladan, but after you find it he's not in his house! So what's going on here?

2. In Dol Guldur, when going to free Samwise, one room is messed up with a warning: "not all is as it seems." I used Galadriel's word of power to "counter deception" but this doesn't seem to do anything. Instead i had to grope my way blindly, with quite a few time restoring, before i safely found the stairs down. Was this a glitch? Or was I supposed to do something else?

3. A dwarf in one of the inns tells me a dragon has been seen flying about the misty Mountains. I never found it. Was this a red herring?

4. I put Hawkeye's ring on his tomb after he died, but his ghost still attacks me in Moria. I think there's been a glitch.

And, some things of interest:

All those birds you free are actually parts of Radagast, who Saruman turned into a thousand birds. Freeing them serves no purpose, however, because after you kill the werewolf posing as Radagast and free the bird in the cage, all the birds come together to form the real Radagast again.

If you find Hawkeye after Aragorn joins you, he doesn't die--you can recruit him and he'll re-unite with his wife! Ah, happy endings.

Old 20-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #63

1. As far as I know it does nothing.

2. Strange, using !MELIAN when you get that message should do the trick. Sounds like a glitch.

3. Yes, it's a red dragon, sorry red herring.

4. Yup it's a bug ...

I don't think Aragorn has a part in Hawkeye's survival but it's a good idea. I might try to implement that ... and add a brown bird subquest

Old 21-08-2006, 03:08 AM   #64
Nobody

This game is one of the greatest--I actually liked it more than the 2cnd part, because the whole thing was tighter-knit.

Some questions:

1. I found the Torc of Maladan, but I have no clue what it does. Does anyone know? I DO know that if you find it with Aethelwyn, it's one of the situations where she turns traitor on you. (This didn't happen to me until i was leaving Bree, the first time I played it.)
Ralf brogan wants the Torc of Maladan, but after you find it he's not in his house! So what's going on here?
You do indeed give the Torc to Rayf Brogan, there is a glitch however. He gets moved from the door to his room when you say BREEHILL so he canot open the door a second time. The way round it is of course get the torc then BREEHILL into Brogans house then trade it to him. In return he gives you the second page of Barliman's letter.

2. In Dol Guldur, when going to free Samwise, one room is messed up with a warning: "not all is as it seems." I used Galadriel's word of power to "counter deception" but this doesn't seem to do anything. Instead i had to grope my way blindly, with quite a few time restoring, before i safely found the stairs down. Was this a glitch? Or was I supposed to do something else?
I recall it works for me however it is a waste of the word in any case. To the South-East of Dol Guldor just east of the road) is a set of barrows where the ghost king from the shire is hanging around. Ifyou have Aragorn (and maybe even if you dont) you can recruit him and go and kill the wights and get a magic glass. This serves the same purpose as !MELIAN. You can then use !MELIAN when a party member goes nuts on the prison level downstairs or also to reveal Radagast.

3. A dwarf in one of the inns tells me a dragon has been seen flying about the misty Mountains. I never found it. Was this a red herring?
It may be referring to the strange lights on weathertop (which is actually gandalf), but yes it is a red herring

4. I put Hawkeye's ring on his tomb after he died, but his ghost still attacks me in Moria. I think there's been a glitch.
This seems to happen even when Hawkeye is reunited with his wife. But he only attacks you near ori and oins area and he gives you a useful piece of info anyway. If you dont use the signet ring in the tomb however he attacks you on the first level of moria as well. So yes its a glitch but using the ring still helps sort of.

And, some things of interest:

All those birds you free are actually parts of Radagast, who Saruman turned into a thousand birds. Freeing them serves no purpose, however, because after you kill the werewolf posing as Radagast and free the bird in the cage, all the birds come together to form the real Radagast again.

If you find Hawkeye after Aragorn joins you, he doesn't die--you can recruit him and he'll re-unite with his wife! Ah, happy endings.
To save Hawkeye all you have to do is walk East as soon as you find him, the other three directions will encounter you with an orc and get him killed saving you in his cave. The best thing to do is go south west straight from the elves and loot his cave, then return to the very centre of the stone ring (that way nothing will impede your eastward path) and walk east and then run east as soon as you recruit hawkeye.

Old 21-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #65

Torc of Maladan: Ah yes, I forgot about the letter!
BTW, in the 'enhanced' cd version you get a range error in the cave where you find the torc. Again this is due to a script error.

Saving Hawkeye:
http://web.comhem.se/~u19128212/1e.htm

Old 21-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #66

You cannot always use either !Melian or the magic glass IIRC, but in some cases you can use either !Melian or Countermagic. BTW did you know that you can Countermagic away the fog on the Barrow Downs (temporarily)?

Old 26-08-2006, 02:22 AM   #67
Taran

Thanks, guys!

I actually went back to the game a little while ago, and found out the whole magic glass thing myself. Before that day, I never bothered saving Sam, I just headed up the tower right off the bat to complete the game.

Another thing about the dragon; I flipped through the manual, and found one paragraph which has Smaug (!) saying that he smells one of Bilbo's descendents. Are you SURE its a red herring?

Next: apparently you can mug some robbers at one point in the game. I wondered if anyone found out how.

One scrren-shot i found shows Tom-Bombadil with the fellowship in Gorthad. Is there some way to make him join your party permanently?

Old 26-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #68

Smaug: Yep we're sure

Robbers: off the top of my mind, you can meet some along the road east from the Shire.

Tom Bombadil: It happened to me once but only in the 1.0 version of the game (the buggy one). It was when Bombadil appears to free you from Old Man Willow (use !HelpHelp). By some glitch he remained when he was supposed to disappear and then he followed you as if recruited. You cannot recruit him by normal means.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:04 PM   #69
Sighter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 26 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]251061[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Smaug: Yep we're sure

Robbers: off the top of my mind, you can meet some along the road east from the Shire.

Tom Bombadil: It happened to me once but only in the 1.0 version of the game (the buggy one). It was when Bombadil appears to free you from Old Man Willow (use !HelpHelp). By some glitch he remained when he was supposed to disappear and then he followed you as if recruited. You cannot recruit him by normal means.
[/b]
I finally sucked it up and just purchased the CD version of this remarkable game. Didn't cost much, and I'm already enjoying it again.

In any event, I was wondering if anyone knew about a glitch where the tree that is supposed to yield a Red Acorn for Ruddyoak doesn't respond to the perception command.

Also, the manual posted way back when has disappeared. Now that I have the CD version, this is not as important...but that manual was indeed something amazing.

Also, has anybody thought to undertake a cleaning operation to bring loose strings together and figure out what certain incomplete projects were supposed to achieve and tie them all into one? I'm far from computer savvy, but who knows what you other people might have done.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #70
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

Hehe seems the topic has been taken over my Guests and Unregistered viewers LOL
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad