Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #61
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Hurray!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #62
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

UsaSatsui has cleaned up the article, and I tweaked it a little bit. Should be okay now, with enough distinction between AB and AR to make it clear they're not the same site.
Also, it seems we also earned some extra positive reputation for Abandonia - see here

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-09-2007, 06:20 AM   #63
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

Friend of mine give me book "Ubuntu Hacks" so I could scan Hack #88 where Abandonia was mentioned.

You could add it to references if you find it useful.

Hack #88
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 14-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #64
punch999
The true Shadow President

I made a wikipedia page for abandonia a while ago but it was taken off because abandonia is not a important site.
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 14-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #65
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Not quite. Read WP:WEB and ask yourself if your original article contained appropriate references.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #66
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#Alex# @ Sep 14 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]310938[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
...Abandonia is not an important site.
[/b]
What??
Seriously, we are growing everyday, did you look here?
Old 17-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #67
UsaSatsui

Since I'm the one who brought this article for deletion, I figure I can explain why I did. Not that it really matters, anyhow.

First off, a note: There is more than one deletion process on Wikipeida. One of them is "proposed deletion", or Prod. It's supposed to be for uncontroversial page deletions. You put up the "prod" template, and if it stays up for 5 days, the article goes. If at any time, anyone contests (even after the page is gone), it's canceled and the page is brought back.

Abandonia's page was tagged with a prod. It was removed, and another user put it back on. This isn't allowed by Wikipedia rules, and there's a tool that I use to find pages like this. That's how I found the article. I didn't find any sources that proved the notability of the site (they were all links back here, Fifth Horseman explained that nicely enough), so I nominated the article for a deletion discussion. That's a slightly different process: There's 5 days (usually) of discussion, and then a decision is made on whether or not the site meets inclusion criteria. Just to be clear, I do not have any sort of vendetta against the site or anything. I saw something I thought should be deleted, and nominated it so.

Someone wondered how I could possibly confuse this site and AR, thinking they were the same site. It's simple. They look the same. They have similar names. They have similar layouts. In fact, they once were the same, weren't they? So I nominated them together.

During the discussion, Horseman and Anarchist were able to come up with some valid sources for Abandonia (PC Magazine? Sweet), so I dropped my objections. AR still doesn't have any outside sources, so the articles were joined into one (a task I helped out with a bit). Nobody else, not even the original person who tagged it for deletion, really had any objections, so the discussion was closed.

My comments above linked by Horseman (completely sincere) speak for themselves about how I feel on the matter. I'll continue to watch the article, and if anyone can develop some sources for Reloaded, I'll be happy to expand it out back into the separate article (the sources don't have to be magazine or newspaper articles, they just need to meet the guidelines here). Heck, if you need anything to do with the article, have any questions, whatever, let me know. You guys worked with me, I'm more than happy to help you.

UsaSatsui is offline                         Send a private message to UsaSatsui
Old 18-09-2007, 01:38 AM   #68
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

k:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UsaSatsui @ Sep 18 2007, 12:51 AM) [snapback]311486[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
In fact, they once were the same, weren't they?
[/b]
Nope.
Old 18-09-2007, 03:48 AM   #69
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
In fact, they once were the same, weren't they?[/b]
Nope. Except for the fact that the same webmaster maintain both site, they are as different as night and day.
Old 18-09-2007, 04:26 AM   #70
UsaSatsui

...well, maybe it's good I cut that part out, if it's not true. The article used to say that AR was created out of this site's freeware content. That would make it essentially a section of Abandonia, at least at first.

In any event, certainly an outsider would confuse the two.
UsaSatsui is offline                         Send a private message to UsaSatsui