Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #61
beno

this might be a duplicate, i think i messed up the last one and its not appearing, but my question is how do I get into the iso cellar thread for SOTHR? I click the link in the thread above, but I get a "You aren't logged in, or don't have privileges"?

I'm definitely logged in so...
beno is offline                         Send a private message to beno
Old 27-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #62
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Try this: http://www.abandonia.com/en/forum?ur...ad.php?t=21181

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #63
alexioscassius

Location: Aprelevka, somewhere in the middle of the continent of Eurasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by beno View Post
I can't get into the iso cellar for this game. I get the "You aren't logged in, or you don't have permission" box when I follow the link posted in this thread. I can get into the threads for the others and I am logged in, so maybe I don't have permission?
I had exactly the same issue while using Google Chrome. And also with Firefox a bit earlier on my older system. When I tried it with Internet Explorer 8, all worked fine.

In case if someone wondering if I managed to make SotHR work on my PC, I haven't tried it yet. Just don't have time for it right now. I have too many things to do. I have Windows 7 now, so there's a Windows XP mode as an additional option now for me. I'll try it sooner or later.
alexioscassius is offline                         Send a private message to alexioscassius
Old 29-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #64
Parfitt

Ok, may be a stupid question but I still get the 'need to run the game at 256 colors' message even when I right click the .exe and change the properties. Anybody else had this problem and/or know how to get around it? On Vista by the way.

Old 29-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #65
dosraider
Dismembered.

Maybe your hardware/drivers can't lower to 256 colors? (My newest ones can't ...)
Then the easiest solution is to run the game in VPC2007.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 02-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #66
beno

Thanks, that link worked, and I've been (slowly with much reloading!) playing my way through the game and reliving some of my younger days until...

I tried to get into Zhufbar, after the 'Squatter's Rights' mission. The first part of the cut-scene plays "From a vantage point above the Pass" or whatever, and then the screen goes blank? No error messages, the game simply freezes?

I think others mentioned having the same (or similar?) problem getting to Zhufbar and I'll have a look to see if they got a fix. What I may try is loading the game in the standard download version (no cut-scenes) and see if this helps so,

keep you posted
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #67
beno

I've tried various different things to no avail - the iso version of the game seems to get stuck at zhufbar no matter what.I'm gonna try playing the game right through in the normal download and see if its simply a buggy iso. Moving my savegames between the full iso and the normal DL doesn't work - it doesn't like them for some reason and gives the windows error box.

I even tried a different route (for those of you that know the game at all) taking the road to Zhufbar at the first opportunity, I think just after rescuing Carlson family? Ok you miss out a fair bit of XP, don't get Ragnar's Wolves or the Obsidian Talisman... but you do get Vanheim's 75th - the best unit in the game by far! Only problem is once you've done the Slave Assault mission and the Rat Trap another seemingly broken cutscene hangs the game again.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #68
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Are you by chance playing the game in Vista or Windows 7? I don't seem to have any problems with it in Windows XP once the 256 colors and 640x480 compatibility options are enabled.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 04-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #69
Pex
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beno View Post
I even tried a different route (for those of you that know the game at all) taking the road to Zhufbar at the first opportunity, I think just after rescuing Carlson family? Ok you miss out a fair bit of XP, don't get Ragnar's Wolves or the Obsidian Talisman... but you do get Vanheim's 75th - the best unit in the game by far! Only problem is once you've done the Slave Assault mission and the Rat Trap another seemingly broken cutscene hangs the game again.
I actually finished the game using that route (ages ago). I didn't find missing out on experience too important, as long as my amber wizard was getting enough to learn flock of death. I did play the full game version (still have the disk somewhere).

The only bug I've found was that after a few missions in Zhufbar my captain of the crossbowmen unit would disappear - he'll get 0's for all his stats. After that at the beginning of every mission I would start with full unit of crossbowmen (at deployment phase), but as soon as I would start the mission/battle, one of them would just die. I had to stop deploying them until I was able to recruit reniforcments. Annoying, but not as much as the game crashing.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #70
beno

I'm using windows XP. So far I haven't found a way around it. I haven't had a chance to play through the normal DL version yet and I keep getting the error messages at the start of battles when I do no matter what I try.

My brother had the original game cd and I remember bugs like your crossbow's captain and stats going funny from time to time. I think it sometimes happened when a units xp went beyond elite and could reset to the basic 'one skull'.

If only I knew where that cd went to and I might not have to mess around... ah well!