Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-03-2005, 03:29 PM   #641
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp@Mar 31 2005, 10:42 AM
Well whoever said aliens dont have a longer vision and that night time battles are easier can kiss my laser rifle behind.
Of course they have better vision than our soldiers. What's even more annoying though, is that they know precisely where to stand so they are out of visual range.
Night time battles are a lot harder since you won't see a thing, while your soldiers walk around lighting up like christmas trees.
Old 31-03-2005, 03:32 PM   #642
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

LOL I'm a big fan of animé, but I didn't think it sounded too Japanese-esque. Maybe I am wrong, though.

Only 50 posts to go until 1000! *bites 'nails*

I find it annoying too, that the aliens remember where you are. Oh well, it balances out in the end I guess.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 31-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #643
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Jman4117@Mar 31 2005, 05:47 AM
Two words.....Smoke Grenade....

Bring two, chuck one at the base of the ramp and drop the other one on the equipment pile. End turn. Leave the transport in relative safety.

Not only does it give you cover, it also gets those peskie aliens off of their maxed TUs. :P
Hmm, good idea, I guess the drawback is that you can't see THEM, either, and if they're close enough, then they can see you before you can get clear of the smoke cloud. I'm rich enough to just send a tank out first, but I can see how smokes are good if you don't want to make tanks for scouting duties.
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 31-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #644
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp@Mar 31 2005, 10:42 AM
Gah I hate sectoids........

Ok so ya know the story with the whole, aliens dont have longer vision, they just "remember where you were" and then fire out of range. Then howcome first turn tank goes out, blasted away, then 1st soldier comes out, carefully on the otherside from the shot, peaks around, blam.

Turns out that the aliens were halfway across the map. Not even on elevation and boom they just snipe like that. Well whoever said aliens dont have a longer vision and that night time battles are easier can kiss my laser rifle behind.
maybe there was a closer alien somewhere else that "spotted" for that sniper, just like you can do against them.
Old 31-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #645
Spookyfish
Game freak

Can't see why they shouldn't. They can be some sneaky bastards...
Spookyfish is offline                         Send a private message to Spookyfish
Old 31-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #646
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Last night I started new game, great feeling. After small edit of the base, sell and purchase, I monitored UFO activity (very important to do, in the order to spot UFO base) and most of it was far away from my first base, which was stationed in Europe.

Later they spotted UFO near base so I send my troops to their first mission.

Soon as they exited spacecraft, first alien walked in the front of them, unaware of their presence. He was wounded, but later killed as he tried to hide. Another one of them got what he deserves in local bard, while rest of them hide inside they space craft.

Great opportunity to sneak behind their back, throw grenade and have them all killed.

And this is where it all begun!

My soldier was holding grenade in one hand when he opened the door. Hi spotted 4 sectoids, 3 turned back to him and one watching him. Breave as he was, he throw grenade between them, which triggers first one to shoot, but instead in to the soldier, he shot his friend in the front of him. While my soldier tried to escape, another shoot, and again it killed another alien.
As soon as my soldier was out of the spacecraft, he run away far as he can run.

Explosion killed rest of other 2 sectoids, but navigation and alien energy source were intact.

I love this game.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 31-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #647
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Yep, the sheer replayability is what I like the most about this game!

There is a problem though - You nearly never fight in the mountains (but they are fun to fight in) and also Harvesters + Abductors are very hard to find. Still, a single Interceptor with 2 Avalanches can take down either of those craft.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 31-03-2005, 06:26 PM   #648
Dreadlord
[BANNED]

I also tell my ships to attack aggressively, I guess I"m a bit reckless.
Dreadlord is offline                         Send a private message to Dreadlord
Old 31-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #649
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Mar 31 2005, 08:32 AM
Indeed it's not a bad game at all.

Just going back to the ongoing HP argument - Another reason I don't use HP is this - they sound really lame when they fire. I'm sorry if that's just me, but aesthaetics come first on my Skyranger.

Still you wouldn't want to mess with The Banshees, my crack team (all made of women, you see), as they fly around in their Lightning with laser rifles and power suits. They're all sergeant or above (sergeant is the lowest, I only have 1 of those and she's getting promoted on the next landing we have). They can take out Battleships that have landed for no casualties, thanks to the leader's mighty stats.

On the other hand, I save every battle I have with these gals to make sure that they all live. When they're not fighting, they're protecting my Arctic Base (200 scientists + 300 engineers ) or training their Psi abilities.

Smoke Grenades work really, really nicely when you have power armour, you can just cover the whole map in smoke so that the aliens run around like headless chickens/collapse from the smoke fumes while your soldiers walk around in Power/Flying Armour (best tactic = cover map in smoke and hide in the skies where they won't find you, on top of Battleships is always nice).

That way, pretty much every alien is stunned, unless they get cheeky and get mowed down by Reaction Fire.
I changed to laser rifles for my 18-man high-psi hit team (I left my most senior guys at home; they don't need any more stats) for an Ethereal base assault. There was a huge lightshow when a sectopod came up; almost every soldier fired off several laser shots at the thing before it finally went down. I also shot some Ethereals that had walked into the first level of the gravlift. Straight down, into the head.

The next turn, an alien fired a blaster launcher at me but it hit one of the many, MANY aliens that were right below the green room, so about 10 aliens died (including at least one sectopod). As you can imagine, the next turn, the remaining Ethereals panicked and went berserk.

I shot some weaponless Ethereals with laser rifles, and one Ethereal took about five shots to bring down. Most of the time it took 2-3 laser shots to bring down an Ethereal.

Now I KNOW that on Superhuman, laser rifles are useless on the field, except against Sectopods. They're fine for base camping, though. Aliens have too much health and armor on Superhuman for laser rifles to reliably kill in one hit. I couldn't even reliably kill an Ethereal with a single head shot with a laser, whereas HP can kill in one hit even if it hits the alien's leg or chest or something less critical than the head.

Nevertheless, my soldiers got quite the Reactions boost from having to fire so many lasers in Reaction. =)
Old 31-03-2005, 07:13 PM   #650
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

But don't forget that trained soldier is more likely to take it down with less hits, so at the end with trained you'll end up with 2-3 hits to get it down.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue