Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #51

I've tried running it in both vdmsound and dosbox, and I get the same problem. When I was running it on vdmsound, i didn't have the newest version, so I'll try that. It'll take me a couple days to get to mayor though >.<

Old 26-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #52

Hi Everyone.

Yes, I did get Alderman, even in the second election (early 1359) and without cheating.

All you need are lots of ships (and being mayor of your home-town, what is a tough job).

At first, you should have a pirat near Stockholm (make sure to have at least 10.000 T in the office to be able buy the ships he offers). And don't be afraid to make debts in the early-game.
The route Brügge-Nowgorod is a good one, even better if you use the land-straight between Lübeck and Hamburg. But don't exagerate the "Luxury-Trading": you will soon ruin the whole economy by doing this.
Other very good routes are: London-Brugge, Visby-Stockholm, Visby-Danzig, Lubeck-Malmö. The gains aren't that exorbitant like those you get from fur trade, but: the time you need aren't either.

A very cheap way to get popular is to make sure, that your home city (I prefer Visby) has enough of all goods (especially Salt and Grain). Another way is to give credits to local artisans in your home town. It's not as effective as gifts to the people or church donations, but: you will get your money back.

Production is not the most effective way to make money, but in Rostock and Brugge it's quiet a good deal. Remember, that all the money you pay to your workers are rising your popularity.
Your workers will produce:
2 beer from one grain,
1 cloth out of 1 wool
1 crockery out of 2 wood, one iron and 2/3 leather.
2 fish out of 1 salt.
If you produce crockeries, you will also produce weapons.

You need at least 12 ships to get Alderman, in my first (and only) success I had about 26. Make sure to be "most important trader in some towns" and to join the town's guilds, where you trade a lot. WIthout guilt-gembership you wont receive any votes from a town. It's quiet a lot "micro-management" to do, but I do love this game anyway.

Old 15-11-2007, 12:02 AM   #53
Eng's

Does the auction work for you guys? I don't seem to be able to put a bid in. I chose a key when prompted, but then within the auction the game doesn't listen to my keystrokes. Computer controlled merchants place bids instead. Does anyone else have that?

Old 17-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #54
Eng's

Quote:
Originally posted by Eng's @ Nov 15 2007, 02:02 AM

Does the auction work for you guys? I don't seem to be able to put a bid in. I chose a key when prompted, but then within the auction the game doesn't listen to my keystrokes. Computer controlled merchants place bids instead. Does anyone else have that?
OK I figured this one out for myself. I jut didn't have enough money in the office to bid. Now I have & and it works.

Last edited by arete; 21-10-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: html

Old 13-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #55
zhuganglie

Unhappy

gees.. i didnt even manage to get my own ship, i do have the money though, the problem is when they offered, and i clicked yes, neither ships belongs to me and i end up game over..puff ,anyone knows what's gone wrong?
zhuganglie is offline                         Send a private message to zhuganglie
Old 24-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #56
mattep74

Anyone else that cant save the game?

I almost ended up alderman at the first election yesterday with a great deal of cheating with ArtMoney. Unfortunally i only bribed the politicians and never gave any parties outside my hometown(i got 52 votes from the politicians but 0 from the population)

I have found the best tradingroute is to begin the game in Lubeck, buy salt, travel to Bergen or Tornsberg and sell it(50% profit), but fishoil and transport it to Bruegge and sell it(almost more than 100% profit), buy wine and transport to Novgorod and sell it(exellent profit), buy furs and go back to Lubeck.

When a spicefleet is reported, sail there and get as much as you can.

A thing i discovered when i once owned the original
When a city is under siege, buy arms in other cities and sail to the city under siege and get a big profit.

Fishoil is the burning oil they pour on attackers, right?

I have a question, i am the mayor and can supply an army. But i dont know what goods i should have to be able to muster companies.
mattep74 is offline                         Send a private message to mattep74
Old 24-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #57
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Anyone, who has experienced my problem?
I CAN'T save!!!! I mean I played this game years ago and I love it, but the save game function doesn't work, if I try to load the game, there isn't any File to restore. :help:

Please somebody gotta help me, I beg you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Finally! Solved my problem

Well it's Windows XP
@mattep74
Are you using DOSBox?
Old 24-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #58
mattep74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchsen View Post
@mattep74
Are you using DOSBox?

Yes. Otherwise the game refuse to open in Vistamode
mattep74 is offline                         Send a private message to mattep74
Old 21-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #59
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

From now on, the game is available on GoG.com
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 20-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #60
lord Mordred
Lurker

Exclamation Printer

Maybe most of you don't know it, but Patrician was the first game i've see capable to use the printer. You can go to the scribe and print a list with all you ships and comodities.... of course if you still using one of the old paralel ports printers, and his windows 3.1 configuration
lord Mordred is offline                         Send a private message to lord Mordred