Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #581
Japo
Autonomous human

It's in the manual, at least it was in the UFO/XCOM1 manual. Promotion is granted based on skills but rookies can't be promoted no matter how hight their stats are, until they actually hit an alien and turn into squaddies (or the TFTD/XCOM2 equivalent).
Old 17-07-2007, 02:36 AM   #582
laiocfar
NOD Commander

D´ouh!
Old 17-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #583
Zwischy

I seem to remember reading (maybe in an old strategy guide for this game) that promotions for a soldier were based on their bravery score - the higher the bravery, the more likely that character would be promoted.

however, there are a couple caveats. one, as mentioned before, you have to at least hit (maybe kill?) an alien to be eligible for promotion. Also, you can only have so many of any given rank, and it's based on how many soldiers you have in total through all your X-Com bases. Finally, it does seem to help if a character has lots of combat experience and kills, but I've observed that the most experienced/highest scoring killer isn't always the one who gets a promotion.

I don't remember the numbers anymore, but I think they're in the game manual. I think it's something like 1 Sergeant for every 4 soldiers (could be 5, 6, 8, I'm really guessing here), 1 Captain to every 3 Sergeants, 1 Colonel to every 3 Captains, and you can only have 1 Commander, ever, no matter how many Colonels you have. If you want a new Commander, get your current one killed off or retired, then pray the desired Colonel promotes.

Has anyone else noticed that characters which promote highly tend to be more accurate with their weapons but always seem to use so many TUs for it that their movement suffers?
Zwischy is offline                         Send a private message to Zwischy
Old 18-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #584

Hi, I'm an annoying guest user with an annoying problem I want you all to solve for me. I've got tftd working on my computer through the latest DOSBOX, but the strangest thing happens. While playing, whenever it's time for me to input text, I get a bunch of random-looking characters blasted into the field and enter is hit without my sayso. I think all this means is that I can't name my own bases and save files, but it's still worrying me.

What could this mean? I run my DOS version of tftd through a looping batch file that was included with the game... is it possible that somehow the @echo off isn't working and some aspect of the script is being bounced into the game... or something?

Old 18-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #585

Yeah, I think that must be it. I manually type @echo off before I run the batch file and I'm then able to name my own bases. How odd! Terror.bat's first line is @echo off.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 19-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #586
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If I remember right, it should be just echo off, without the @.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #587
faszka

hello everyone, please help me:
HOW CAN I SEND MY AQUANAUTS TO MC TRAINING?

im going crazy coz i cant figure it out
aaaaaah

Old 22-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #588
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faszka @ Jul 22 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]300813[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

aaaaaah
[/b]
After building the MC Lab, at the beginning of the month the game itself will ask you to assign (if you want) men in training on each bases that have an MC Lab
Incappucciato d'Ombra is offline                         Send a private message to Incappucciato d'Ombra
Old 23-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #589
faszka

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Incappucciato d'Ombra @ Jul 22 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]300835[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faszka @ Jul 22 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]300813[/snapback]
Quote:

aaaaaah
[/b]
After building the MC Lab, at the beginning of the month the game itself will ask you to assign (if you want) men in training on each bases that have an MC Lab
[/b][/quote]

thanx a lot

Old 25-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #590
12turtle12
Game freak

hello everyone, how do I do anything in this game? No just kidding, but I did download this and I really can't figure out what to do. Are there any easy start walkthroughs for this game? Most stuff I can figure out but the learning curve on this game is a little difficult for me for some reason...
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12