Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-08-2006, 02:11 AM   #551
Smaug

Hey there,

I seem to have run into some problems running Apocolypse on win 98 (should be fine since 98 is dos based, right?) -- first of all the intro "movie" and all the other movies don't play.

Second and more importantly-- I can save the game and all that... but right before I enter a mission (like a shot-down ufo) everything goes funky like this --

Imagine I sent a group of 5 people to the mission -- it says "are you sure you want to begin this mission with 5 agents" or something along those lines, I say yes...... and then it seems as if I have 10 agents (it gives me 10 agents to assign into squads), as if I never took the other 5 off of the interceptor. Okay, that's just weird, but still playable.

I complete the mission. Look around.... and suddenly I have the same amount of money as I did in the very beginning of the game. All of the vehicles that I bought/sold/decked-out are back to the beginning of the game -- EVERYTHING is exactly the same as it was in the beginning. Needless to say, this kind of hampers progress.

Any ideas why this could be happening? If you already addressed this issue, sorry, I didn't have the patience to read through the entire 2 years worth of responses on the site... Thanks a bunch,

-T

Old 07-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #552
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

As for the intro - movies and music were removed from the game to reduce the size of the archive.

Your other problems seem quite strange. Do you have a savegame subdirectory under your game dir?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #553

Yeah, I figured as much for the movies, but I was just making sure.

Yea, I do have a save game directory and I can save games and all that good stuff.

The funky part is that I can run the game fine under DosBox under XP on a different computer. But I used to play the game on the Win98 computer about 4 years ago without any trouble. Back then I had the CD, so it may have been different... but this is extremely strange (and I checked, I'm not missing any game files).

-Smaug

Old 07-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #554
Acolyte

I found an easy and quite safe way to get a live megaspawn (the bastard in found in ships). Blast down a battleship and secure all exits from the subway (sometimes wall parts is the control room are damaged so smaller aliens can get out but not back in) blast out everything trying to get out of the ship (combomines)
when they stop coming send 3 or 4 men inside and find two simetrical pink tubes with an gravity beam inside (its somewhere NE from the entrance)DO NOT enter the room there is the posibility that you will get in crosfire from two megaspawns instead use the main lift in the center to get higher find a place with two bridges leading to the tubes run with one of your men to the tube and slide down 2 levels down the megaspawn should see him and start blasting but the tube is indestructible so your guy will feel great even if you strap him of his armour.
While the big guy is blasting the invincible target the rest of your squad should start droping vortexes (two should be enough) and stun nades at the beast if after that he is still standing throw another vortex but be cautianous not to kill him.

combomines - thise are simple place a armed proxymine in the desired location and throw a dead item (it can be almost everything vortex stun, AP, smoke nades and even most guns).

Recepies

Stun mine - Set the range to 2 3 meters and throw a dead stun nade the explosion is quite far so anthropomorphs should survive and become stunned

Killer mine - Set it to 1 1,5 meters and place two or if your feeling reckles three vortexes (dead of coarse)
Nothing will survive (even if its equiped with a shield) trigering this so make sure you keep your squaddies away.

Scorcher mine - lust place an incendary nade on it (aliens aim like muck when there on fire)

NOTE rocket launcher ammo never explodes.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:08 AM   #555
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Jun 21 2006, 02:02 PM) [snapback]238528[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You can't really have Toxin-C, it's a myth. You do can have it, but by the time you can you are so deep into the story and near the end of the game that it's not even worth the trouble to get the Alien Queen alive, research it and produce the new toxin for your squaddies. If you know how to do things right, you should end the game before that point unless you make a point in researching and producing it before you end the game. It doesn't matter much at that point because the Aliens can't attack you anymore: without their Queen they don't reproduce much and when you get to the Queen you already got thru the UFO maturation chamber, which mean they won't attack you much with UFO's either...[/b]
Old 08-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #556
myslead
Lurker

i have a small questions, how do you put your soldiers IN vehicles so they can move on the map as the vehicle ?
myslead is offline                         Send a private message to myslead
Old 08-08-2006, 11:30 PM   #557
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Drag and drop them in the vehicle screen. I think you can get there by right-clicking on one of your base.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:25 AM   #558
laiocfar
NOD Commander

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acolyte @ Aug 7 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]247273[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I found an easy and quite safe way to get a live megaspawn (the bastard in found in ships). Blast down a battleship and secure all exits from the subway (sometimes wall parts is the control room are damaged so smaller aliens can get out but not back in) blast out everything trying to get out of the ship (combomines)
when they stop coming send 3 or 4 men inside and find two simetrical pink tubes with an gravity beam inside (its somewhere NE from the entrance)DO NOT enter the room there is the posibility that you will get in crosfire from two megaspawns instead use the main lift in the center to get higher find a place with two bridges leading to the tubes run with one of your men to the tube and slide down 2 levels down the megaspawn should see him and start blasting but the tube is indestructible so your guy will feel great even if you strap him of his armour.
While the big guy is blasting the invincible target the rest of your squad should start droping vortexes (two should be enough) and stun nades at the beast if after that he is still standing throw another vortex but be cautianous not to kill him.

combomines - thise are simple place a armed proxymine in the desired location and throw a dead item (it can be almost everything vortex stun, AP, smoke nades and even most guns).

Recepies

Stun mine - Set the range to 2 3 meters and throw a dead stun nade the explosion is quite far so anthropomorphs should survive and become stunned

Killer mine - Set it to 1 1,5 meters and place two or if your feeling reckles three vortexes (dead of coarse)
Nothing will survive (even if its equiped with a shield) trigering this so make sure you keep your squaddies away.

Scorcher mine - lust place an incendary nade on it (aliens aim like muck when there on fire)

NOTE rocket launcher ammo never explodes.
[/b]

Very interesing...

Anyway, the problem with megaspawn comes when they are not trapped inside and come out. You can make a shower of toxin in autofire and you will lost equipment or mens so wait them isnt the best option. Most of time i try to ambush them inside the ship when they are comming out of elevator but still inside. Some porx mine or alien porx mine will make the first smoke. I keep a backup team covering the gate, and uses a grenadier team of 2-4 troops. After that i keep launching vortex in the ship´s gate corridor, the result is a lot of smoke in a close area. So they cant fight back. The risk is to run out of vortex before they are dead (it happens when they pull back until explotions stops). If they can come out of the corridor there is a tactical change that may result in the abort of the mission to avoid heavy losses. The smoke will cover them and the backup team only will shot while the grenadiers are reciving direct fire from the monsters. After that the backup will be blind. So better to got good aim. A potential solution is an scout to periodical observe the advance of the enemy troungh the corridor, is too risk but the bigger problem is the friendly fire, the vortex will kill te scout even when he avoid the megaspawns fire.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:20 AM   #559

Kids, kids, kids. All you need for C toxin is a live Psimorph that you can pick up on any mothership. I don't know why people seem to have so much trouble capturing live aliens -- it's not that difficult, I'm not going to go into it because every situation requires its own approach, but even megaspawns aren't extremely dangerous if you have a toxin gun (with B if you still don't have C) and a stun gun or some stun grenades. Toxin C is very useful, in my opinion, because it saves you a lot of ammo. It's a one-shot kill against most of the smaller aliens (on hard) and makes killing the bigger, more dangerous buggers much quicker and simpler. I've found that equipping my squad with disruptor armor, shields, a devastator cannon in one hand, a toxin gun in the other makes for a very lethal combination in terms of firepower. Especially if you're like me and don't let your agents die at any cost, by now your agents should have accuracy of <80, meaning that you can put it on auto-shot and just blast anyone that walks close enough. If you control your own squads and manually shoot and pick your targets (SHIFT+click) then you should have no trouble taking care of any aliens on any difficulty level. Shields are the key to this game and maybe giving each agent 2 shields in the backpack is the way to go, by the way. But I guess if you're this far along in the game already, it's not too difficult and you've already got the aliens under control with Annihilators. The trick is really capturing as many live aliens as early as you can in the game and researching very quickly in the beginning to get the toxin guns and the personal shields. After that, it's over.
-Smaug

Old 09-08-2006, 02:34 AM   #560
bandon

great game, however it runs too slow with dosbox so i probably wolnt play it much. when i put it through dosbox i chane the cpu speed too much it lags if i put it lower it slows alot to where the clock changes one second every 5 seconds on normal speed