Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe we landed on the moon?
Yes 28 75.68%
No 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 01:35 AM   #41
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios+Jul 3 2005, 11:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (efthimios @ Jul 3 2005, 11:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Of course (as I too mentioned I think, earlier) we could have established colonies by now, but as you mention, it is not cost effective.* BUT, it could be after years of research and developement.* It ain't going to happen though soon.* :-([/b]

I got a bit caried away there, the point I wanted to make was- that human science can do stuff decades before it's actualy perfected/efficient.

<!--QuoteBegin-efthimios
@Jul 3 2005, 11:59 PM
BTW, Triton, the Moon does not belong to anyone and cannot be claimed by anyone according to the treaty of.....something.* I actualy researched that a tiny bit for my dissertation few years ago but it wasn't a main part so don't even remember the name* [/quote]
there's a loophole in that treaty- any person(human being, but not a company) can own part of the moon! (so if an amercan citizen owns it, he can build his own personal[] military base there and lease it to united states... at least I think he could)
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 04-07-2005, 02:03 AM   #42
Triton

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Jul 3 2005, 07:59 PM
Triton I am sorry to say but with that last sentence you made americans and wanna be americans (like myself) a bit embarassed. Unless of course you were joking.

ReamusLQ, don't blame the whole nation for one guy.

Triton, about your thoughts about rehabilitation, it is so ludicrous that I can't believe you wrote that.

Of course (as I too mentioned I think, earlier) we could have established colonies by now, but as you mention, it is not cost effective. BUT, it could be after years of research and developement. It ain't going to happen though soon. :-(

BTW, Triton, the Moon does not belong to anyone and cannot be claimed by anyone according to the treaty of.....something. I actualy researched that a tiny bit for my dissertation few years ago but it wasn't a main part so don't even remember the name That last was because I can't find any better smiley for my feelings on the matter. :-)
Hahaha! I forgot to put the [sarcasm] tags in.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:38 AM   #43
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

if i owned the moon i would put giant thruster engines on it and launch it towards Rosie O'Donald :Brain: thats a planet right ive seen it its not that hard to miss right due to its size? LOL
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy
Old 04-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #44
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@Jul 3 2005, 07:46 PM
What useful resources are on the moon?
But moon is so important for its strategical position! The conquest of the universe will start from there, believe me!

@ Triton: you have to know that Europe and Asia are collaborating to do that, while USA are enjoying bombarding comets... we have to wait and see...
Old 04-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #45
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Quintopotere@Jul 4 2005, 01:24 PM
But moon is so important for its strategical position! The conquest of the universe will start from there, believe me!
The conquest of the universe?

Humanity will be happy if it survives this century (oil reserves will run out before the end of 21st century) and not fall completely back into the dark ages.
Trust me - in two decades no one will really care about the moon. They'll just care about their own survival!

Sad, but I'm afraid it will become true.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 04-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #46
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jul 4 2005, 11:26 AM
Trust me - in two decades no one will really care about the moon.
Uuhh, that's what they want we think...
Old 04-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #47
Astral
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos+Jul 4 2005, 11:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sebatianos @ Jul 4 2005, 11:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Quintopotere@Jul 4 2005, 01:24 PM
The conquest of the universe?

Humanity will be happy if it survives this century (oil reserves will run out before the end of 21st century) and not fall completely back into the dark ages.
Trust me - in two decades no one will really care about the moon. They'll just care about their own survival!

Sad, but I'm afraid it will become true. [/b][/quote]
You are overacting, there will be another revolution and there will be "new" standarts and we all start working hard at "free" for this standart until anothe revolution...

@Euthimios

First your nick is a Hellenic name, are you Hellinas ?

Second, yes we r talking about the first Apollo mission on the moon that landed there with Armstrong...
Astral is offline                         Send a private message to Astral
Old 04-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #48
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Astral@Jul 4 2005, 01:35 PM
You are overacting, there will be another revolution and there will be "new" standarts and we all start working hard at "free" for this standart until anothe revolution...
Yes, but do you really think that in such surcombstances people will be trying to concure the universe?
They will try to make the human society here on Earth work normaly again.

And I hope I'm overreacting, but just take a look at how the world was before the Great War (World War One). Among other things - they had this very same attitude - nothing really big and horrible can happen. Maybe a revolution or two (like the ones they had in the 19th century) but a great war for resources, land and influence over the world? Nah, such a war could not happen in 1912... neither could it happen in 1913... 1914 - no way... later that year (oops the war has started - but we'll all be home for christmas).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 04-07-2005, 12:22 PM   #49
omg
Games Master

i think the difference is that we have fuel cells now. and they are v e r y slowly being phased in. crude oil is essential for so much. not just petrol but plastics to. remeber that
the german armys in ww2 used a vegetable oil to run there vehicals due to a petrol shortage,, and now we have hydrogen fuel cells.
but it is true that resources are going to slowly dwindle, and as the world population increases we are gradually going to hit a shortfall in arable land meaning mass food shortages. in the face of this we have only 2 alternitives.
1: expand into the solar system (mars is the important one as it has a terrerforming potential)
2: lower the world population. (super flu anyone?)
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 04-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #50
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well I do agree with you with what you said OMG, but the problem is that we don't really have those 2 options.

Teraforming Mars will take much longer then we actually have. Earth will run out of arable land before Mars could be teraformed (so far we weren't even able to bring a single piece of aquipment back from Mars).

For the second option - I've heard that HIV was created in a lab for just such a purpose (another conspiracy theory - very likely), but I'm more afraid of the alternative to a super-flu. That would be another great war (that's the way human race has always resolved its overpopulation problem - as well as most social problems). Wars actually never really solved anything, but people became more humble and they were satisfied with less - so although there was a sortage of everything people endured it.
Closed Thread