Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #41
ultranewbie
Abandonia nerd

I like to keep the names the same, just for the sake of humanity. I think it's neat having people with names of people from all over the world. I get to know my team members pretty well anyway, so I teand to know who will hit and who will miss.
ultranewbie is offline                         Send a private message to ultranewbie
Old 21-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #42
Mats
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by ultranewbie@Jan 21 2005, 09:25 AM
Ya. Had that problem too. Just open it in Windows and hope for compatibility!
I don't have any problems when using the XP patch from this site to play UFO, but I can get kicked out a few times. There is a patch for TFTD to that can be found at www.xcomufo.com (nice adress btw), but I haven't taken me the time to try and get it to work since I think that UFO is better than TFTD.

///MJ
Mats is offline                         Send a private message to Mats
Old 22-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #43
Jman4117
Game freak

For my troops I keep their original names and add letters on the end for strengths/weaknesses.

S: Sniper
G: Grenadier
P: Strong psi
p: Weak psi
B: Very brave
b: Decent bravery
c: Coward
H: High strength
R: Reactions

So my optimal super soldiers in late game would have PBRSGH on their names for easy reference. :Titan:

P.S. - As for sorting your troops: there is a program called X-com Utilities that allows your troops to be sorted (never really played enough with that feature enabled though to see exactly how it works). It also allows for the intercept craft to be used as small transports and comes with the the f0dder display patch if you have a really squished display.
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 23-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #44
Drake Pendragon

If you find yourself faced with those chrisalids, make sure all you soldiers have a PRIMED (alien) grenade in their hand. If they get attacked by a chrisalid they drop it and it thewn explodes, thus killing the first chrisalid. Be carefull though since this might cause some friendly-fire.

Old 23-01-2005, 07:25 PM   #45
Jman4117
Game freak

From my experience with them, I'd say the best defense against them would be to get as many troops as possible in flying suits. They can't attack what they cannot reach. As for the primed grenade, if the zombie drops it, it will likely hatch the Chrysalid and mearly wound the other one, leaving you with two of them to deal with.

Note: The zombies only actually start to hatch if they are "injured". Leave them alone until you wipe the Snakemen and Chrysalids out before you go after them.
Old 23-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #46
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

What about the Chrysalids then, they are about the easiest of them all to kill? :blink:

I usually get them with long range shots... If I'm on close quarters I move next to him and I autoshot until he's dead. I don't remember having a Chrysalid one hit kill one of my soldiers, so even if he reacts and "spit" at you just retreat the squaddie after you killed the Chrysalid... At blank range you really need an extremely poor squaddie to miss an autoshot, and if he miss I say he deserves to die! :P

Don't forget that they are also vulnerable to fire. Fire them a fire bullet and watch them catch fire.
Old 23-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #47
Jman4117
Game freak

You may be thinking of the Cetalid...the gaint kidney that spits acid. A Chrysalid is the black crablike terror unit that comes with Snakemen and can impregnate your entire squad Xenomorph style. They have uber stats and a hand to hand attack that can take you in one hit and turn you into a zombie. I believe they have around 120 time units, 90 reactions, and around 100 health. Quite a mean customer if you are on the ground with them. Heavy plasmas are almost a must on higher difficulties.
Old 23-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #48
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

No, I was talking about the black terror unit. I always considered that unit as a kind of Ninja.

As said earlier, never got much problem with them. The AI is usually very dumb with that unit anyways unless you really get in his way.
Old 23-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #49
Jman4117
Game freak

A lot of times the things will walk up, fail their attack a few times then run away. Other times they just stand there and do nothing before running back. What is scary is when you are leaving the ship and have about 4 guys sitting by the ramp and end up with low reaction scores against them and they attack unapposed killing half your squad. I think the AI may be programed to go after the low reaction troopers (reaction score taking TU% into consideration too). Move a lot or have a low reaction stat, and you get ambushed.
Old 23-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #50
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

This could be an explanation because I very hardly ever have squaddies with less TU than required to snap shot at end of turn. And they kneel most of the time too.