Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: PC or consoles?
PC 37 82.22%
Xbox /360 3 6.67%
PlayStation 1/2/3 2 4.44%
another one console 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-12-2005, 06:56 AM   #41
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

Actually, the Nintendo revolution is adressing that problem, as it features the ability to wirelessly download any previous nintendo game in existence, from the NES to the Nintendo 64 to the Snes. They're also focusing on making the console quite cheap, in regards to the financial arguement. Unfortunatly, this will probably mean it won't be as powerful as the new XBox or Playstation, but it's innovative features more than make up for that fact. They're also implimenting free international online wi-fi play, as opposed to the "pay by the month" system most online consoles utilize. They intend it to be ready for online play, mods, downloads and other internet based features directly out of the box.
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 14-12-2005, 07:05 AM   #42
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGiantMidgit@Dec 14 2005, 10:56 AM
Actually, the Nintendo revolution is adressing that problem, as it features the ability to wirelessly download any previous nintendo game in existence, from the NES to the Nintendo 64 to the Snes.
True, but that can be done with PC emulators already. Also, a PC can emulate all the other old systems as well, not just the Nintendo ones.

Not to mention all the old PC games, of course.

Quote:
They're also focusing on making the console quite cheap, in regards to the financial arguement. Unfortunatly, this will probably mean it won't be as powerful as the new XBox or Playstation, but it's innovative features more than make up for that fact.
I think that once they actually start selling Revolution we'll see if they can provide enough interesting and good games for it, or if it will be just a potentially interesting failure.
Old 14-12-2005, 07:09 AM   #43
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

Yea.... I have a feeling we're gonna see another dreamcast scenerio. It is not doing well in the polls so far, despite the huge interest it has generated in the console crowd. Seems people want prettier games now, rather than straight out fun ones.

As for emulation, I like it, alot, especially MAME, but dangit, it just doesn't feel right on a keyboard (We actually went as far as building an arcade cabinet control panel to play arcade games with. I'll put up a pic of it sometime if anyones interested.) I do not condone emulation, using it to test a game before I purchase or to pick up unavailable games abadoned by their respective developers.
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 14-12-2005, 02:24 PM   #44
Spoonman
Flyswatter

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGiantMidgit@Dec 14 2005, 07:52 AM
Then again, simplicity need not "dim the mind". Look at, for example, alot of console puzzle games. Few could argue against the fact that Tetris is exceedingly simple, yet requires great mental leaps when one "gets into the groove". ..and adventure/action gaming is not cerebrially devoid either. Metroid, Zelda, both required advanced thinking in order to proceed or get that one last "powerup". (Try to get 100% in Metroid Fusion sometime. Some of those environment puzzles were actually quite difficult.)
True (and thank goodness games in general still keep a tendency to challenge the player mentally as well as reflex-wise), but in my opinion the feeling of having control plays a bigger part. You've got the game-layer, and then you've got the software-layer and then there's the hardware-layer.. after that there's the rest of the world :P.

And no, this doesn't have to be too difficult for the younger people.. I mean, I was young once too and I'm not much of a hardcore pc-nerd, so.. you just need a bit of patience and time to figure it out.

Maybe I'm taking this way too serious, but I do think PC's stimulates a philosophic way of thinking even outside the gaming borders. Well, at least I can say it has stimulated my own analytic way of thinking. Consoles are just too predefined for me I guess.
Old 14-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #45
swiss
who's not Swiss

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Dec 13 2005, 05:21 PM
PC. Much more power and versatility. Easily adjustable parameters. Modding. Software emulation of multiple old systems.

Which console offers all that in one package?
k: k: k:

Same with me!

The console games are toooo expensive and I know my self good enough that a game bores me after a few hours of playing. so I prefer valuepacks, abandonware and freeware ... saves a lot of money.
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 14-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #46
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I don't understand the argument some people keep coming out against the PC, which is the constant upgrade. I purchased this PC almost 2 years ago now and never needed to upgrade it. Before that, I was playing on my dad PC which is nearly 4 years old now and they never upgraded it either!

The problem is not the upgrade, the problem lay between the keyboard and the chair. If you, the consumer, feel compelled to upgrade your machine every year to play the last of the line game which got out (and we are obviously talking about shooters here, which I hate) then you are firing yourself into the feet because a game never need so much graphics to be enjoyable.

As always, if game producers would stop concentrating their efforts on graphics instead of gameplay, we would never "need" to upgrade every year. But we can't blame them; it's what the users want!
Old 14-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #47
plague
Abandonia nerd

Pc. You can do much more with it than just play.
plague is offline                         Send a private message to plague
Old 14-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #48
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Timpsi@Dec 14 2005, 03:05 AM

True, but that can be done with PC emulators already. Also, a PC can emulate all the other old systems as well, not just the Nintendo ones.
Yes, but Nintendo's way is legal, and most likely, much easier.
And you have a controller you can actually play the games with.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 14-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #49
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by plague@Dec 14 2005, 06:27 PM
Pc. You can do much more with it than just play.
You can't with the 360? :crazy:

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 14-12-2005, 08:15 PM   #50
punch999
The true Shadow President

Its easy to actually turn your xbox and your PS2 into a linux machine but I still prefer the comp.
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999