Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #31
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

To skip the opening sequence: run quest.exe

Those are indeed the only two ways to heal, but I could give you a few tips. After all I never had much trouble finishing the game using only 2 characters.

- search every room for treasures, perhaps except when the "roaming monster" (the type that sometimes attacks you when you're looking for treasures) is too strong.

- don't forget to use up all healing spells and healing potions before you go back up the stairs. I must admit that happened quite often to me...

- an elf and/or a wizard make a good choice: earth and water spells will allow them to heal themselves or another character. also: use the genie spell to take out a really strong enemy.

- I always let my strongest character go first, to take on any monsters he meets. If the opposition is too strong, try to run into the next room.

- in the first mission, let the strongest character be the one who looks for treasures (the other character can search for traps/hidden doors). After this mission you should be able to buy him at least a sword and a shield.

- during the following missions, let your weakest character take all the treasures, to allow him to buy some equipment. During the rescue of prince Ragnar, I think it's the character that leaves just before Ragnar that gets the 200 gold reward.
That mission alone should be enough for your weakest character to buy either a sword and shield, or chain mail.

- use tables and such to your advantage, so that only 1 enemy at a time can attack you.

- Try to buy a toolkit (preferably for each character except the dwarf who doesn't need it) early in the game, there's a mission where you'll be trapped unless someone can disable a trap. Walking through stones could help you, but I'm not sure if you can escape from the next room then.

- Some of the cheaper equipment is useless (at least if the weapon stats are identical to those of the board game, but I think that's the case). For example the staff would only help the wizard, unless you consider attacking diagonally a great advantage. I'd rather prefer buying a cloak or bracers with that money. Also note that it appears that the wizard can buy weapons like a shield or a broadsword, but that he can't use them :blink:

Hope this helped a bit...
Old 01-06-2005, 11:41 PM   #32
jgsmith

Thanx.

JS
jgsmith is offline                         Send a private message to jgsmith
Old 27-06-2005, 08:26 AM   #33
Cheatah
Lurker

I liked the board games very much, and I would like to enjoy playing the PC game, but I have some minor questions.

Can you open chests or closets or something like that? I was able to disarm a trap on a chest, but how to continue? I can't find a simple manual anywhere on the internet, all I find is pages about the real board game.
Cheatah is offline                         Send a private message to Cheatah
Old 27-06-2005, 10:56 AM   #34
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Welcome to the board!
Chests, closets and such are "opened" by looking for treasures in that particular room.
And you're right to look for traps first, quite a few chests in the game are traps.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I don't know everything about the game, but I've finished it

One of the things I never understood is the Mellar's Maze level (that's how it was called in the board game, don't remember its name in the PC version), where I was never able to leave the first room :blink:
Fortunately enough you can skip missions if you want.
Old 24-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #35
Violent Grog

I've played the game in the boardgame version before, but this is the first time I've seen the computer game version. NICE. Only question I have is, I don't know what all the weapon stats and sell stats are. Is there a manual or something someone can link to me?????

Please???????????
:help:

Old 06-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #36
Lestasia

Does Hero Quest work on Windows XP? I have followed the instructions to the letter and whenever I enter DOSBox and type up dir it shows the Heroquest folder but then when I switch over to the folder itself and type dir it shows the Heroquest folder as being empty. What have I done wrong? Advise please.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #37
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lestasia@Aug 6 2005, 10:40 PM
Does* Hero Quest work on Windows XP?* I have followed the instructions to the letter and whenever I enter DOSBox and type up dir it shows the Heroquest folder but then when I switch over to the folder itself and type dir it shows the Heroquest folder as being empty.* What have I done wrong?* Advise please.
It certainly works under Dosbox on a Windows XP system.
My advise would be to download D-Fend at http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm

This is a front end to Dosbox, allowing for a much easier use. Once you've chosen the initial parameters for a certain game, all you have to do is start D-Fend and double-click the game, no more commands to be typed.
It should work that way, since I'm having no trouble and I've got Win XP as well. Hope this helps...

Also, when installing and using Dos-based programs it's safer to use directory names that are 8 characters or less.

@Violent Grog:
I haven't found a manual so far. I have no clue about selling stats but I could give you some help with the weapons stats if you still need them. For the weapons I've used so far (there are quite a few I'll never buy), they seemed the same as in the board game.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #38
Esmale

Quote:
Originally posted by Violent Grog@Jul 24 2005, 08:56 PM
I've played the game in the boardgame version before, but this is the first time I've seen the computer game version.* NICE.* Only question I have is, I don't know what all the weapon stats and sell stats are.* Is there a manual or something someone can link to me?????

Please???????????
:help:
I've found an online version of the manual here:

http://files.the-underdogs.org//game...files/hero.txt

Good luck.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:58 PM   #39
OlSheep
Forum hobbit

I thought this was interesting, a Windows remake of the board game:
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/lm.broers/download.htm
OlSheep is offline                         Send a private message to OlSheep
Old 09-10-2005, 02:00 AM   #40
Wolf Schneider

Quote:
Does* Hero Quest work on Windows XP?
I've had no problems running QUEST.EXE directly in XP -- i just click on it in the File Explorer. The only issue is that it won't exit (but that's what Ctrl-Esc is for! That will bring you back to the desktop, you can then right-click on the entry on the taskbar and select Close, and then say yes when the prompt messagebox is shown ;^)