Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #31
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I never encountered this kind of bug, and I run the original version supposedly full of bugs.

So sorry, I can't help you much here.
Old 14-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #32
ultranewbie
Abandonia nerd

@Guest

*shrug*

Maybe backup savegames, reinstall XCOM and make sure you have the latest version of DOSbox or Windows drivers or whatever.

But, I dunno. XCOM has a funny way of crashing in weird places. One reason why the game has so many posts. Why don't you scroll through the pages and find how other people have resolved their issues.
ultranewbie is offline                         Send a private message to ultranewbie
Old 15-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #33

Its wierd that you all have not experienced it. Years ago i brought it when it was first released and i played it on my 486 and got the bug but back then the earth would zoom out then i would see a heap of code come up and the pc would reboot.

now in XP it just says the program has crashed but same thing.

just annoying.

Old 15-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #34
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Well, I seem to remember a weird bug right now. If you entered a mission while one of your fighter was still chasing an UFO, the game would crash.

Answer to this bug was easy: never chase UFO when you are about to enter a mission. Either disengage and go back to base or just fly near them until you finish the mission.

Another idea would be to send the Skyranger next to the mission without selecting it, down the UFO (or get killed) and then enter the mission.

Anyways, I never experimented such a bug because I never entered a battle with crafts still engaged in battle. I usually tend to wait for all UFO's to be downed before sending my team so I go get the biggest fish. I also tend to change my squaddies equipment depending of the type of mission before sending them to fight, especially when I'm currently building a new kind of set of armor for my troops and I want them to be equiped with the latest stuff, so waiting is a must.
Old 16-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #35

Yeah i found a small solution which was to sell the plane (while it was chasing the ship) just DO NOT touch the plane button. it will stay in the earth screen for a while like a month i think then it just dissapeard.

I always have a Skyranger with crew at my first 3 bases. I make sure i can get every UFO that Preferably lands

ahh well finished it again now. Maybe i will go complete Fallout... again.

Old 18-01-2005, 05:30 PM   #36
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You can use this site (on the left menu select what interest you) to get more answers.

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~xcom/x1u8.shtml

After you done with all research, you don't need scientist any more.

To get position of Mars base, you need to capture one of aliens’ officers, and again, they are in big ships.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 18-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #37
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Smoke grenades work well to knock out aliens and when you get the small launchers and stun bombs later then it gets much easier.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 18-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #38
ultranewbie
Abandonia nerd

First, there is only one way to get elerium 115 - UFOs. It's much better with those very large ships to follow them with a team of soldiers, but not attack. Eventually it will land or terrorise a city. Either way, you will need a team to kill em. (You should get over 1000 points per mission for a Battleship)

The best way to get aliens is to use their Small Launcher. It fires very powerful stun grenades.

If you haven't researched it yet, then you will have to use the stun rod. The stun rod doesn't always work frist time. So if you find yourself wanting to attack an alien with a weapon, be very sneeky.

This may pay dividends however. Usually the aliens at the end are just medics or soldiers, it will be unlikely that you can capture a commander this way.

If anyone disagrees with what I have said, please correct me! I always like to learn different ways of getting the job done.
ultranewbie is offline                         Send a private message to ultranewbie
Old 18-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #39
ultranewbie
Abandonia nerd

Grenades are easy, especially proximity grenades.

The TU thing is easy, it's the green bar at the bottom of the screen. If it's full, your TUs are at 100%.

If you set the timer on a grenade (haven't tested proximity grenades) to Zero, and then keep a hold of it, it will not explode. I use grenades to kill aliens hiding behind corners. I get one of my soldiers in the rear to get a grenade primed on one turn. On the next, I make sure that the "Save TUs for Autoshot" is on. Then just go for a walk, and throw the grenade.

In regards to the aliens' reaction shooting, I have stopped throwing a grenades at aliens I can see unless I am behind a wall or something. When there are a group of soldiers who can see the alien, all except one fires upon the enemy. If the alien is not dead by the last soldier, then I use a grenade.

Proximity grenades are an excellent tool. If you know an alien is behind a door, I much prefer lobbing a grenade outside it and waiting for the alien to come out. Quite often you can surround the door with 4 soliders, and as soon as the alien pops out of thedoor and walks a step, the alien is blasted with explosive and 12 rounds (4 x autoshot) on the enemy turn. Fun fun fun.

The reason I like to make sure everyone in my team fires their weapon, is simply for the improvent in skill that it brings. One time I relied heavily on four soldiers to do pretty much all the work for me. When one got killed and the other two turned out to have useless psi resistance, the game was pretty much over..
Old 19-01-2005, 11:41 AM   #40
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Another nifty trick is the ability to rename your squaddies. I always rename mine based on their rank and I add, in brackets, their accuracy rating.

So it would go like this: Rookie (59), 2nd Class (57), Captain (67), etc.

Pretty usefull when you want to know if the selected squaddie stands a chance at hitting his target, depending on range... k: