Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-12-2004, 12:31 PM   #31
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I cannot say anything about this movie as I have not seen it but as for the fact that Alexander the great was gay, he had a lover and this is recorded in his own Chronicles. It is irrelevant information however so I am not surprised something like "History of the World" does not mention it.
In any case Hollywood did not make this up.

p.s. people keep this civilized do not call others names even if it is generalized.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 06-12-2004, 12:52 PM   #32
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well if you want to get all accurate about it Alexander wasn't gay... simply because the notion of homosexuality didn't exist in the greek culture.
It was concidered normal, there was no special name for it. it was just love.

(in case you didn't understand this you can: a) make a flawed english sentance or b)not care and simply take it as a fact that Alexander was a homosexual by todays terms)
Old 06-12-2004, 01:35 PM   #33
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I did understand what are you saying, but, is there a book about it. I would like to read more about this.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 06-12-2004, 01:48 PM   #34
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Most books don't write about it since its like mentioning Ceteris Paribus in economy.
You are supposed to know its there.
In the hellinistic world everybody was a homosexual, it was a kind of standard. Mentioning it would be like saying "small dwarf" and stuff like that.

Specific books may have been written about the relationship between Alexander and a childhood friend of his, Hephaestion. or the relationship between Alexander and a persian man (which was concidered controversial not because it was a relationship with a man, but because the man was a Persian)

I believe you should be able to find something about Alexander and Hephaestion because many claim Alexander commit suicide after the death of this friend (they concidered themselves like Achilles and Patroclus from the Illiad)
Old 08-12-2004, 09:09 PM   #35
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Returning to Hollywood for a moment, the main reason they attempt to rewrite history (and you probably all know this already) is to make money. A Hollywood producer can haul in a lot more cash with a film about Ben Affleck zipping all over the PTO in a P-40, outmaneuvering Zeros (!), and sending half the Imperial Japanese Navy to sleep with the sushi than one about a half-dead soldier outside Stalingrad gnawing on the frozen foot of his recently deceased comrade in a desperate attempt to stave off starvation for another few hours, regardless of which one is the more historically accurate depiction of World War II.

I don't think everything to come out of Hollywood is a flaming bag of poo, but movies are, first and foremost, entertainment and should not be used as a primary source of historical information. Ever.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:42 AM   #36
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Fruit Pie Jones@Dec 8 2004, 05:09 PM
I don't think everything to come out of Hollywood is a flaming bag of poo, but movies are, first and foremost, entertainment and should not be used as a primary source of historical information. Ever.
I agree, but again, more and more kids lern now days from movies (and games)... It used to be fun to read book in my time...
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue