Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-08-2006, 03:03 PM   #321
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you have any problems with using it, just PM me and ask.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #322
ljubishan

This is my favorite game! I thought that I am the only one still playing this old game, but as I see now...
MoM RULES!!!

My best strategy I tried is based on Shadow demons unit. I choose all death books and Shadow demons, Black prayer and Wrack spells. I summon Shadow demons as soon as I gather enough mana (They cost 195 with all death books). About four units can explore both planes (planar travel) and conquer many cities and lairs. They can use murran roads so you can use murran roads to travel on arcanus.

My capitol race is Halflings - that way other cities don’t have too many rebels + they have a food bonus.
Using this strategy I finished the game in year 1404 several times (impossible level).
There is no time for expanding with settlers, there will be enough cities conquered in both planes.

Other wizards can be defeated by taking their capitol city first, before they declare war (sometimes don’t, but if you play fast they don’t have too much cities).
Power drain spell is useful to cast on wizard you are about to attack (drain up to 150 mana and hopefully prevent opponent spells).
………

I tried using the confusion spell trick someone explained earlier, really cool to take some powerful units under control in early stage of the game.
I’d like to try some more ideas you have because I LOVE THIS GAME !!!
ljubishan is offline                         Send a private message to ljubishan
Old 27-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #323

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ljubishan @ Sep 27 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]257767[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Power drain spell is useful to cast on wizard you are about to attack (drain up to 150 mana and hopefully prevent opponent spells).
[/b]
The Power Drain spell is unfortunately the most unuseful spell in the game, because the opponent wizards cheat and always have enough mana for at least weaker spells. Even if you drain the 150 mana with the spell, next round they have enough mana again already. Doesn't even matter if they have no nodes under control, but with them of course they have more opportunities.

Old 27-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #324

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 27 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]257796[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ljubishan @ Sep 27 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]257767[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
Even if you drain the 150 mana with the spell, next round they have enough mana again already.
[/b][/quote]

Of course. But it costs 30 (with all death books) and if you can cats it instantly when next to a oponent capitol you can enter a battle in same turn. 30 skill is not that hard to get.
I used power drain only in those moments and it helped to finish them off fast.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #325
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Just something i noticed: it says that game was released in 1995, which is wrong.
Games was published in 1994 surely. On HOTU they even say 1993 but i think they are wrong too. I remember when this game was reviewed in PC Gamer and in one magazine from my country. I still have them in fact, surely 1994. March or April in 1994.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 03-10-2006, 04:58 AM   #326
retarde
Lurker

Im new to this forum but not new to this game. The reason to why I even found it was that I was wondering what Spell Save was.
My favourite way to win at impossible is to pick 11 books of Life and Highmen. I choose Stream of Life, the lower tier spells is not very important but I usually pick plane shift and true sight. I immediatly start casting Stream of Life in the beginning of the game and boost mana to the max. When I have it active on my city I boost the taxes to 100% since noone will strike with Stream of Life activated. I go for bank as fast as possible and then I just start spamming settlers and put Stream of Life on every city.
With the huge amount of taxes I can just use alchemy to cover the mana cost. If you have come this far you just about won since you get more income than you can spend and you will have alot of RP coming in with all the highmen cities. Buy lots of buildings, you won't get low on cash. Then just cast Incarnation as soon as possible and kill everything you can with Torin+paladins.

Another strategy that is really good is to pick 11 Death books and choose wraiths as the high tier spell. Summon them as fast as possible and take every town you can. If you can, kill the other wizards when you find them. You will get loads of guarded cities with nice defense since all the troops you kill will become undead. This means no upkeep so it is basically free defense for all your towns.

Now, this is arcanus of course and I would really like to know some good strategies for beating 4 opponents as myrran on impossible without modifying the game by for example changing the items that you will loot. Long post, but I am so excited to see that I'm not the only one loving this game.

Edit: 11 books=)
retarde is offline                         Send a private message to retarde
Old 03-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #327
ljubishan

13 life books (???), there are 11 picks on start, the other two you probably got wining some lairs and nodes. Anyway the reason is to get the spell cast discount (40% with 11 books), but if you pick Myrran you use 3 picks so choosing 8 books (any same type) can get you only 10% discount. That’s why I pick Warlord, and different type of books to get wide range of spells to use.

My opinion is that the key for wining when starting in myrror plane is to eliminate competition in myrror as soon as possible because they grow quickly.

I usually use draconian race to explore with swordsman and spearman. Surveyor (F1 key – that gives info about terrain) can direct scouts to a nearby city (city can be in unexplored area, searching the borders of the explored area with surveyor will tell you if there is a city three squares away). Doom drakes aren’t so bad and they need only stables to build.
Find the enemy’s capitol city. Win it... and the rest is much easier.

Also, finding a dwarwen city would be useful. Dwarwen engineers are so efficient in building roads. Two engineers together can build road in one turn on every square except mountains (two turns). Connected cities need fewer units to defend and give mobility to your attacking groups. Also everywhere I see the area rich in minerals (crysx and gems) I send a dwarwen settler. Once I had a 1 pop. dwarwen city with 3 crysx mines... 30 mana production.
ljubishan is offline                         Send a private message to ljubishan
Old 03-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #328
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

But roads on Myrror can also work to your disadvantage. I'm mostly thinking of rampaging monsters as particularly on Myrror they can be quite dangerous in the early stages of the game.

Also why I don't always like Myrran, on Arcanus it's quite easy to take control of a few nodes early on whereas on Myrror these are often guarded by worms and drakes, which means quite a drawback to your mana production.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #329

:blink: Sound. The nemesis of all classic-gamers. I'm running a 266mhz Windows 98se laptop. The sound won't work, and the install files will not run. I generally use SB Pr0 (220, 5, 1).

I really like the look of this game (layout remarkably similar to the later Master of Orion 2), but would prefer some sound... Any ideas?

Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #330

You need to load the sound drivers in Ms-Dos, before Windows 98 loads, or you won't have sound when ending Windows 98 and starting in Dos-Mode. As for Windows 98, there usually won't be sound for Dos games while you're playing them in Windows.