Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #21
t0mme

Quote:
Originally posted by WolverineDK @ May 5 2005, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Occupant@May 5 2005, 09:42 PM
I like this game!! i played this game on NES and i thoufght it was SO coolies. btw HOW did you get those screenshots? when i try all i get is this scrambled mes. how do you do it?!
sorry don´t you mean SNES ?
Yeah, he means SNES

Last edited by arete; 27-10-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: html fixed
t0mme is offline                         Send a private message to t0mme
Old 08-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #22
Office_Monk
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by The Occupant@May 5 2005, 11:42 PM
btw HOW did you get those screenshots? when i try all i get is this scrambled mes. how do you do it?!
I'd love to know that too... Is there a snapshot function in dosbox? Lazy as I am I use the GUI D-fend for Dosbox but couldn't find such a function...
Office_Monk is offline                         Send a private message to Office_Monk
Old 08-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #23
abc

Quote:
Originally posted by Office_Monk @ Aug 8 2005, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Occupant@May 5 2005, 11:42 PM
btw HOW did you get those screenshots? when i try all i get is this scrambled mes. how do you do it?!
I'd love to know that too... Is there a snapshot function in dosbox? Lazy as I am I use the GUI D-fend for Dosbox but couldn't find such a function...
There's a program called 'Screen Thief' that grabs screenshoots in DOS. You have to run it first then a game from which you want to grab a screen (all in DosBox or in pure DOS, not form Windows). It won't work with certain programs because of their 'memory management' but with Black Thorne it should work fine - years ago I played Black Thorne along with Game Wizard loaded and this program is more resource demanding than Screen Thief (I've used it to save positions before long jumps on some levels:).
Maybe there is also an option in DosBox for grabbing a screen?
Anyway, great game!

Last edited by arete; 27-10-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: html

Old 09-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #24
Office_Monk
Game freak

Found out how to get screencaptures in Dosbox/D-fend: ctrl-F5
Office_Monk is offline                         Send a private message to Office_Monk
Old 18-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #25
Guest_Adrian

ITS DA BEST SO COOL!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by arete; 27-10-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: :)

Old 19-08-2005, 10:36 PM   #26
bt

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel@Mar 2 2005, 10:42 PM
Running with DOSBox it is really slow... Is there another way (I don't consider installing win98 or worst as a solution...) ; )

Daniel
That's right. But forget it and try playing on some SNES emulator.

Old 19-08-2005, 10:39 PM   #27
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

A better solution is just turning the cycles up a bit.
Skipping a few frames doesn't hurt either, but not more than 3, otherwise it starts looking very choppy.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #28
Floyd

I agree play it on a snes emu it's the dogs

Old 20-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #29
RastaJew

This game wants to be an "athletic platformer" like Flashback and Out of this World but it doesn't quite measure up. It lacks the cutscenes of Flashback and particularly Out of this World that immersed the player in the game world. In Blackthorne you get to the last screen of one episode. someone tells you "Go find <whoever> in the forest", there's a repeat of the intro scene of Sarlac telling the orcs to go kick some behind but with different text, and you're suddenly in the first forest level.
So obviously the story isn't that fleshed out either. There's backstory but not much happens during the game. There are a few NPC good guys around but they don't have much purpose. They are basically an alternative to having health and weapons just lying on the ground. Sometimes you can save them or help them fight an orc or get a hint from them. I wouldn't even call them characters because they all use the same sprite and none of them have more than about eight words to say about how much they hate Sarlac. At the end of each "episode" there's a different looking NPC who says about twenty words instead. It would have been nice if when you think back on the game you could remember a certain character like Fallout's Harold the ghoul. But in Blackthorne you don't even really connect with the player character and his story.
The levels are repetitive. The levels are split into screens like in Flashback but each screen has jumps and puzzles and fights that you've already seen elsewhere. It's just running around, climbing ladders, shooting monsters, finding keys/bridge passes/bombs to get past a barrier and make it to the end. In Flashback it didn't feel like you were just trying to get to the end of the level. You were trying to complete a mission for an NPC and you could find diary entries and stuff which would trigger cutscenes.
The screens look repetitive too. The graphics are good (especially in the forest and the swamp) but every screen is made up of identical platforms and walls. Every screen looks the same from the beginning of an episode to the end.

So Blackthorne needed to have more plot, characters and variety to be a classic. That's why the first 4 highest rated games on Mobygames are point and click adventures.

Old 22-10-2005, 02:24 AM   #30
RastaJew

Your max health increases at the end of each episode.

I used Video Thief for screenshots. Go here for more info http://www.mobygames.com/info/faq6#f8