Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 24-10-2005, 02:08 AM   #21
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

here here i agree what u said bout microstoft but look at it like this .... u shut down microsft u shut down the hole worlds softwear developtment ...

I'm assuming you're joking--though some might take you seriously. Do you know that back in 1988, PC Magazine published an issue reviewing all the PC-based word processors, and that it had 28 to review?

How many word processors are there today, under Windows? How many provide the functionality of Nota Bene, Mass-10, or all the other heavily customized word processors, developed for individual needs?

We can extend this into other fields, as well. Research the late 1980s, and look for spreadsheets, databases, memory managers, project managers, contact managers. Compare this to what Microsoft offers, today.

What Microsoft does is fund *monopoly.* And a monopoly isn't good for anybody. Because the monopoly that controls the software doesn't have to work to tailor its software to fit specific needs, or interests. It's a tyranny of One Size Fits All.

If Microsoft vanished and Windows with it tomorrow, Linux would become the standard. Open Source would take over, and suddenly plenty of developers who gave up their businesses because Microsoft pushed them under would open shop again. I've known plenty--and there are far more than I've ever met, just waiting and hoping.

(Btw, I use WinXP. I like it. I've got nothing against Windows per se, but there is no truth to the statement made without research that Microsoft has ever been a leader in software development. It's been a case of Bill Gates buying pre-made products that looked like they were going to offer competition, and either co-opting them into Windows or shutting them down.)
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 24-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #22
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Borodin, that's business,

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 24-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #23
omg
Games Master

no its not its monopolisation something that is supposed to be illegal.
but big buisnessess paying lobbyists doesnt seem to be for some odd reosen.
it seems that monopolisation is illegal unless you are microsoft.
so stop thinking you know all kid its extremely annoying.

and the old stuff rules. i have played the latest games but i still love my zx speccy and c64 emulators as im a fan of gameplay over flashy graphics and as they didnt have the flashy graphics back then good games programmers focussed a lot more on the playability and *feel* of games.
i would rather play uridium or julian gollops chaos than a lot of the latest games. back in the days developers tended to be more independent so they would experiment more nowadays its all about copying the last thing that made money. when was the last time you played a new r.t.s that didnt have the same premise as dune 2. (ie: gather resources, build base, build army attack)
and all f.p.s generally feel the same. (excepting mb deus x)
i think the last game i played when i thought *wow* this is original was maybe jet set radio.
were swamped by games now. back in the days original concepts stood out. now its mainly just commerciail tripe.
the market needs a huge crash. it should be good for it in the longterm..
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 24-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #24
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
i like xp as an os its robust
Robust? It crashes all the time - even discounting gaming (which tends to put the most strain on a system and lead to the most conflicts) XP is incredibly unstable for word processing, web browsing, etc etc. The only reason I use it is because I have to in order to play games.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 24-10-2005, 09:56 PM   #25
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by omg@Oct 24 2005, 03:38 PM
no its not its monopolisation something that is supposed to be illegal.
but big buisnessess paying lobbyists doesnt seem to be for some odd reosen.
it seems that monopolisation is illegal unless you are microsoft.
so stop thinking you know all kid its extremely annoying.
It is business, because that's what they're trying to accomplish, in the name of starting up a company and getting money for it.
Pssh, it's a vague term, you don't have to start putting all this nonsense into it, yeesh calm down.

EDIT: Stop calling me "kid" that's seriously insulting, and if you think age defines what I can and can't stay on these boards when it relates to opinions, you are seriously being a complete a**hole.

My Site -
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 24-10-2005, 10:52 PM   #26
omg
Games Master

normal buisneses do not monopolise as it is toally illegal. so saying what microsoft do is just buisness is pure bs as they are quite clearly (to anyone with half a brain) monopolising, which is not *just* buisness, it is monopolising, do you understand what this means yet kid or do i have to keep explaining?

they break the law but they have enuff money to do it.
law dont mean sht when you got billions in the bank you can pretty much do what you want.

age makes a huge difference. you could have an i.q of 200 but without life experiance chall dont know f all, and if you are wondering why im not like putting up with you then just look at what you say. i first became aware of you after reading the laser squad thread and kids like you really nark me off. that review was awesome and you managed to severly upset an adult (and a pro writer at that) with your pointless childish remarks

you stop acting like a kid i will stop treating you like one

oh and in case you dont understand

monoply = not normall buisness practice

clear enuff for you yet?

@beef
i dunno man i guess evryone has there own experiance with any o.s. i find xp pretty stable. i can leave it on all week, (ie 24/7) and mb restart it once, its only when i start playing with games that arnt desighned for xp that i have crashes and even then it just crashes to desktop, rather than the dreaded days of the *blue screen of death*
having said that i have hacked my reg to hell and back.
so who knows, if you have a nice officail version with all the updates mb that is the problem, or if you have a hacked version and you havnt prevented it from connecting to microsoft (pretty much evry element of xp phones home if you dont prevent it) that could be the problem, is hard to tell without intimate knowledge of your setup man

back 2 the topic....
i still think old school games rule. dont matter to me if its dos, nes, snes, neo geo, speccy, commodore, whatever. and i like to think its because these games are actually better, but maybe its just a nostalgia factor, i dont think i can be objective when it comes to old games v.s new games.
Old 24-10-2005, 11:29 PM   #27
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Xp is more stable, especially when you have more than enough computer power to satisfy its needs.

@ Beef isn't it your job to yammer at omg for his terrible spelling?

@ omg The monopolization of the market is something the average corrupt business man wishes to accomplish. What you are thinking of is the pleasant thought of Entrepreneurship, or the quest to become successful. The dirtywork and management is what business is, and therefore monopoly is part of business. The whole way economies work is that you have something that someone else wants. It doesn't matter if no one else has, or ever will have, your item. In case you haven't noticed, most big corporate office people are. Look at Bill Gates, he bought dos from a guy for a mere some thousand and look what it did for him..
One more thing. It doesn't matter whether something is a normal business practice, or an illegal practice, but it IS a practice in the market. Watch your words...

@ Pigggy You have to remember that you are a kid. People who don't really care for other people's opinions will ignore you even more. Regardless of age however, your opinion will always be valid.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 24-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #28
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'm not going to argue with some stupid subject.
This is what I mean - They did those things in order to sustain themselves.
In anyway, that's just business.
From dictionary.com
The occupation, work, or trade in which a person is engaged

They're engaged in that thingy they said, it's part of their trade.
I'm no business expert, but that speaks for itself, and just because you can't take a general statement or sarcasm/etc. It doesn't mean someone is wrong.
This pointless discussion is now over

I enjoy all the oldies, but the transition is difficult, I can only play oldies for a seperate period of time. i.e. I play Half-Life 2, I have to will myself afterwards to adjust to Ultima Underworld or System Shock.
It's also another factor when you bring in the fact that playing new games for a period of time, you start to adapt visually, then when you go back to oldies, it simply burns your eyes.

My Site -
Old 24-10-2005, 11:40 PM   #29
omg
Games Master

the discussion is not over just becuse you say it is child.
if you wish to continue to see monopolisation as being normall buisness practice thats your choice kid. you want to ignore facts its no beer out from my belly , at the end of the day it is your choice to think like that kid. no real problem for me, just a minor irritation, like a gnat i guess.
anyone who thinks microsoft are like a normall legal buisness, well my only reaction to that is to laugth hysterically, but then again you have already shown your colours as being a corperation supporter so whatever, just makes me laugth really.
maybe you will realise one day maybe you wont.
and your tiny little quote proves nothing. you could use that quote to justify terrorism quite easily.

as for your eye burning thing again that is obviolsy personall. i personally dont suffer this eye burning of which you speak but then when i was a child like yourself zx spectrum was hi tech. i could play the latest fps, but then have a sesh of chaos. its kind of like saying you cant dig doctor strangelove becsue you just watched the matrix....
Old 24-10-2005, 11:45 PM   #30
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by omg@Oct 24 2005, 06:40 PM
the discussion is not over just becuse you say it is child.
if you wish to continue to see monopolisation as being normall buisness practice thats your choice kid. you want to ignore facts its no beer out from my belly , at the end of the day it is your choice to think like that kid. no real problem for me, just a minor irritation, like a gnat i guess.
anyone who thinks microsoft are like a normall legal buisness, well my only reaction to that is to laugth hysterically, but then again you have already shown your colours as being a corperation supporter so whatever, just makes me laugth really.
maybe you will realise one day maybe you wont.
and your tiny little quote proves nothing. you could use that quote to justify terrorism quite easily.

as for your eye burning thing again that is obviolsy personall. i personally dont suffer this eye burning of which you speak but then when i was a child like yourself zx spectrum was hi tech. i could play the latest fps, but then have a sesh of chaos. its kind of like saying you cant dig doctor strangelove becsue you just watched the matrix....
Whoa. Since when was the issue of legality ever connected to the subject of normal business? Holy cow omg, you just jump to the defense like a little kid does, then you act like other people are a little nothing to you. If you two are gonna bicker at each other do it someplace else, stop filling up the thread heh.

If I still had my scrap computers I would play all of my favorite oldies on them. Who cares about the newest crap to hit paydirt on the gaming market...

blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Closed Thread