Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #21
Roddent

Okie, I'll try to have more sons I finished the game with 2 sons and 1 girl because I was only a mature adult :bleh:
Also, lords just pop out of nowhere to revolt against me and take half my lands. It hapens almost frequently and I got bumped down the ladder all the time :crazy: Is there a way to prevent this like maybe make the people happy or something? :ranting: LOL

Old 11-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #22
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Low taxes, strong army and showing them who's boss
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 14-11-2004, 05:07 PM   #23
Kage

played this a lot in the old days. the best way to fight is to wait and counter, also try adding diagonal attacks, eg upper right/upper left... you can't upgrade weapons, its a bit like fighting in "real" kendo (japanese sword martial arts), basic stikes are to the head, diagonal or left and right.

at the strategies, best is to get larger armies, if not, take advantage of the landscape, units can't be seen in forested, sometimes, you can even win with onle a few cavalry units against a large army, attacking thier sides/flanks do the most damage.

Old 19-11-2004, 06:02 AM   #24
Kalorful

how do you play the game? I cant even enter it... i tried clicking all of the programs. Help please?

Old 23-12-2004, 05:23 PM   #25
BLauritson

As far as I know, you need to run the SAMURAI.COM file in DOSBox.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:05 AM   #26
Eran

When fighting an opponent in Kenjutsu(not training mind you) I just hold down enter all the time unless I'm gonna move. Try not to move backwards, or your opponent somehow manages to run in front of you and hit you, if your opponentmoves back, keep moving forward until you can hit him again. There is no tactic or special move to kenjutsu, you just have to hit as fast as you can over and over again while he's generally in front of you. For example, if he's right in front but to your right, hold down 'Enter' and the right key. Same goes for all, though it's a risk to do the over-head slice/chop. It's usually too slow and he hits you from the side. If you always hit to one side(left for example) and he always blocks, quickly switch to the right and he'll probably get hit. By the way, once you have a sort of 'E' shaped marking you're dead. That's 4 hits. If you keep hitting one side repeatedly and then switching you should win eventually, even without choosing kenjutsu as your skill. The key to sword-fighting is patience and a tough wrist k:
If you're doing overhead fighting, it's the Space Bar to open doors, and when an enemy comes up to you, it switches automatically from bow to sword. The best tactic in this sort of melee is to shoot the green enemies first, since they can shoot. Next up is the brown guys, because they're faster than the rest and they have pikes. Then you can either take the yellow one on with your sword, or shoot them is they're still far away. Remember, two hits and you're dead. Coincidentally, if you have been hit once, you'll slow down. Oh, and to pick somone up(ie. your daughter, wife, son etc.) you stand on top of their body (blue and black sack-looking object) and press Space. If you're fighting in a rice field, try to stay on the path, because the rice REALLY slows you down and that makes you a good target for enemy archers.
I can't remember much about the controls of the overhead battlefield melee, but I remember that due to this game's AI, you've got a miniscule chance of winning if the enemy has more than one brigade than you, so I found the best thing to do is to equip as many samurai as you can, and raise the rice tax as much as you can, cruel as it is :evil: and only donate land to the Buddhist temple if you are asked to.
Last of all, are the game keys. F1, F2, F3 and F4 do these things, respectively: The order in which your current lord favours you and your peers, any missions/campaigns currently available at the lord's castle, saving, loading. Although it's possible that F4 doesn't do anything and F3 just takes you to the Main Menu. Just hit those buttons during the game and see if I was accurate enough
I think that's about it,
Aurevoire

Old 11-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #27
bohor
Game Wizzard

OMG, OMG!! OMG

I just read the rewiew, and this whole thread, and I just can't wait to start playing this game1!!
bohor is offline                         Send a private message to bohor
Old 11-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #28
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

It's another title that makes you wonder: why has nobody bothered to do an upgraded remake? Perhaps the simplicity of the title works against it.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 11-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #29
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

The title carries a lot of power. 's Not simple at all. Hearing it once, you'll remember it until you're getting amnesia. But yeah, this's a game worthy of doing a remake of, if anybody can get the same or improved feeling in it, which's probably the hardest part. To me, this game's reached perfection. You either have to turn all graphics to 32bit colors, but keeping all pictures themselves the same, and maybe get the field battles more intuitive controls. I'd see any other change as a downgrade more than an upgrade.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 11-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #30
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Jan 11 2005, 04:47 PM
The title carries alot of power. 's Not simple at all. Hearing it once, you'll remember it until you're getting amnesia. But yeah, this's a game worthy of doing a remake of, if anybody can get the same or improved feeling in it, which's probably the hardest part. To me, this game's reached perfection. You either have to turn all graphics to 32bit colors, but keeping all pictures themselves the same, and maybe get the field battles more intuitive controls. I'd see any other change as a downgrade more than an upgrade.
I wouldn't mind seeing an expansion along the lines of King of Dragon Pass, myself. Something that offered more choices for local control, as well as hundreds of plots that were randomly reshuffled every game. In fact, I think SotS could fit very well in KoDP's engine.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin