Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-07-2007, 04:11 AM   #2841
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 26 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]301455[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
IIRC the Hyperwave Decoder is completely separate from radars, so it doesn't.
HWD detects every UFO within detection radius.
[/b]
Yes, i'm just a bit confused I always dismantle all radar except 1, as an "insurance". In fact when alien attack an XCOM base, it can happens that some structures will be destroyed. If the destroyed structure is the Hyperwave, i've 1 radar ready... better then nothing :tai: Don't remembering this "little" particular i assumed that a radar is requested

I think that it's time for me to play again with Ufo 1...
Incappucciato d'Ombra is offline                         Send a private message to Incappucciato d'Ombra
Old 27-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #2842
laiocfar
NOD Commander

If you design a narrow passage inside your bases, you can easily ambush attacking aliens without risking vital zones as celds, labs, workshops or hyperwaves.

the idea is to got:

HH-HH-HH
HH-HH-HH
----AL-----
LG-GG-GW
HQ-QQ-GC

where H are hangas; AL is the access lift; L, W, H, C are import structures as labs, workshops, hyperwave and celds; and G + Q are importantless structures as stores and quarters.
Old 27-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #2843
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Jul 28 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]301663[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
If you design a narrow passage inside your bases, you can easily ambush attacking aliens without risking vital zones as celds, labs, workshops or hyperwaves.

the idea is to got:

HH-HH-HH
HH-HH-HH
----AL-----
LG-GG-GW
HQ-QQ-GC

where H are hangas; AL is the access lift; L, W, H, C are import structures as labs, workshops, hyperwave and celds; and G + Q are importantless structures as stores and quarters.
[/b]
Yes I known, i'd read the walktrohught of Ufo (and the design posted by you is taken from the same walkthrough ).

All my bases are always designed in this way, but there is a problem :

on Ufo 1 (btw for Ufo 2 is the same) more you play well... more computer react agressively and this means : more often bases will be attacked --> more probability of soldier/s wounded on previous mission not yet ready for combat --> more probability of soldier not at the best (rookiees with bad stats, especially PSI) --> less "super" soldiers ready to counteract the alien, without some slight retreat on better position --> more probability that structures can be destroyed.

This means that also with the "perfect structure base" there's always a possibilty (even if effectively much low) that a structure will be destroyed, and if this happens to Hyperwave without a L.R. Radar as a backup the base become useless for at least a month :tai:

As a side note : the "perfect commander" must always act to prevent all bad events even if there's a little possibility of this events can occur

Incappucciato d'Ombra is offline                         Send a private message to Incappucciato d'Ombra
Old 29-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #2844
Blittz

Ahh, fun game, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. First time I raided a landing site was a disaster, I can't get the manual to work so I had no idea what I was doing. So, everyone was getting shot to pieces by black thingies, I didn't know how to shoot, everyone was panicking, and there was even a dude running around with no weapons for some reason.

I'll get it sooner or later
Old 01-08-2007, 06:11 AM   #2845
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Blittz, the game best part is when you are completly loss about how fight them, so dont worry and enjoy.

Incappucciato d'Ombra, for my experience, the structures where most of the fight takes place like the lift or the hangars arent destroyables. Only a few times i lost structures to major damage during a base defense. From them, i get that: the damage only affects the structure when a reasonable part of the higher level is destroyed. So the damage at the lower level isnt risky and a few holes will not scrap your pod.

It happens that they break the line and the whole base get invaded but normally if the whole base was in real danger, it doesnt matters the total losses.
My playing style involes many troopers so i dont got bases without enought personel for the defense (There are undefended bases as radar stations but most of them got a security squad). But if i find that a base will be attacked and my defense arent up to the fight, lets sell/transfer most of it and leave it to the aliens with a few rokies carring armed bombs.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #2846
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Aug 1 2007, 08:11 AM) [snapback]302221[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
My playing style
[/b]
This is the key

Some key point of my playing style :
1) I categorically refuse to lost a base (so, all my bases are defended "to the death")
2) Always i build 5 bases (no more) placed to obtain the best cover, generally 2 on the poles and 3 on northern emisphere; so all bases must be fully operative and "no dispensable". This means: sometime mission to raid ufo, alien base & counteract terror site can be require a bit more time then normal.
3) quality over quantity. This means less soldier in every bases, generally: 10 - 8 men required for "active mission" + 4-6 man as garrison/replacement for the active team + 2-3 tank ; therefore, sometimes happens that only 4-6 men and 2 tank are in charge (minus soldier wounded & tank/s in replacement) when UFO attack the base. But never i lost a base
4) I always try to prevent even the less probable of the events. (in this case : the hypothetical destruction of a key structure as the Hyperwave)

This 4 points , added together, give that in a game i generally lost from 2 to 3 structures (in total & in the whole game )
Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 AM   #2847
rlbell
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Incappucciato d'Ombra @ Aug 1 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]302291[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Aug 1 2007, 08:11 AM) [snapback]302221[/snapback]
Quote:
My playing style
[/b]
This is the key

Some key point of my playing style :
1) I categorically refuse to lost a base (so, all my bases are defended "to the death")
2) Always i build 5 bases (no more) placed to obtain the best cover, generally 2 on the poles and 3 on northern emisphere; so all bases must be fully operative and "no dispensable". This means: sometime mission to raid ufo, alien base & counteract terror site can be require a bit more time then normal.
3) quality over quantity. This means less soldier in every bases, generally: 10 - 8 men required for "active mission" + 4-6 man as garrison/replacement for the active team + 2-3 tank ; therefore, sometimes happens that only 4-6 men and 2 tank are in charge (minus soldier wounded & tank/s in replacement) when UFO attack the base. But never i lost a base
4) I always try to prevent even the less probable of the events. (in this case : the hypothetical destruction of a key structure as the Hyperwave)

This 4 points , added together, give that in a game i generally lost from 2 to 3 structures (in total & in the whole game )
[/b][/quote]

Never lose a base?

4-6 men and two tanks?

You must spend a lot of time reloading.

Quality over quantity means that you are sacking/hiring lots of troopers.

My style is predicated on two axioms:

1) Bad Things ™ occassionally happen.

2) I should not be forced to save the world on a shoestring.

So while I jigger my funding to rediculous levels, I only save/reload between sessions.

When the base is attacked after a disasterous terror mission has wiped out the squad, I often lose it. I have even lost a couple of games (when I still tried to save the world on a shoestring). On the other hand, this style gave me the nail biting war story of trying to hunt down the sectoid commander of a battleship, before my last trooper died of his fatal wound.

Speaking of odd play styles, if you have not read all of the previous posts and already found my previous post on this topic, a friend of mine recovered from a desperate financial situation by selling nearly everything, except for a handful of alien grenades and a couple of laser rifles. He had already researched all of the alien weaponry. He arrived at a landing site with only a few armed troopers and the rest gathered weapons by looting the dead. Needless to say, casualties were horrific; unless they were compared to the penal battalions of the Soviet Union, during WWII (then they were merely discouraging). Except for the smaller UFO's, he made money, even after accounting for the cost of the butchers' bill.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 AM   #2848
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rlbell @ Aug 2 2007, 05:19 AM) [snapback]302379[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Never lose a base?

4-6 men and two tanks?

You must spend a lot of time reloading.

Quality over quantity means that you are sacking/hiring lots of troopers.

[/b]
As for time reloading... yes quite a lot Every time that the game freeze or crash i need to reload, and this happen often :tai: (most of this, i suspect, were linked to O.S. that i use... that isn't exactly the best )
Apart this... no, generally i avoid reloading, with few exceptions, just to give an idea :
1) if i lost a very high ranked soldier (generally commander & similar) but not always, only sometime, so this happen about 1 time each 2-3 game played
2) if i commit some error caused by external interferences (in other words : the real world breaks my balls ). This happens more often : about 1-3 time each game :tai:

Therefore, in an entire game, probably i reload from 3 to 7 time (freeze and crash excluded :tai: )

As for sacking/hiring soldier, partially yes. I means :

1) if soldier had very very bad statistics (here, in italy we say "under the shoes"). Yes ! Sure ! I immediatly sack the moron ! This is a war not a picnic, XCOM need soldier not walking skeletons

2) if soldier had bad statistic, but not horrible, this soldier become an "Hero" ! And which it is the holy mission of the heroes? To dead in action for the glory of XCOM, for the liberty, for the democracy (etc etc)
In other words : i use puny rockies as scouts with light equip or disarmed when against Ethereal and Sectoid. Generally from 2 to 3 for each mission are scouts... and they carry out theirs "holy mission" with courage and with abnegation, and generally no one of this guy return to home
Old 07-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #2849
Weirdo

Sorry for my bad English :not_ok:

Always when I research Floater medic the whole game go off. What can I do?

Old 07-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #2850
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Dont research it