Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #221
Hukster
Default Re-Volt v1.2

Don't ask me how, but we now have the complete source code of this game. We are working on the next version of Re-Volt. More info in this page: http://z3.invisionfree.com/Our_ReVol...showtopic=1443

Feel free to join us and be the first to test it out.

Old 22-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #222
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

wow.. i'm really curious how this turns out

the beta just gave me "has encountered a problem and needs to close" generic error on my xp sp2 though
Old 22-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #223
huki

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
wow.. i'm really curious how this turns out

the beta just gave me "has encountered a problem and needs to close" generic error on my xp sp2 though
Ah I have always wanted to inform you, but somehow forgot.. The re-volt download available here is buggy (many new people who downloaded revolt from here and came to RVHouse reported similar crashes). I don't know for sure what the problem is, but you can download re-volt from here: http://www.revoltrace.net/downloads/...-installer.rar I think it is a french installer, but it works like a charm.

After completely uninstalling your re-volt installation, try installing this one and see if it crashes with the new v1.2.

Thanks.
huki is offline                         Send a private message to huki
Old 23-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #224
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huki View Post
Ah I have always wanted to inform you, but somehow forgot.. The re-volt download available here is buggy (many new people who downloaded revolt from here and came to RVHouse reported similar crashes). I don't know for sure what the problem is, but you can download re-volt from here: http://www.revoltrace.net/downloads/...-installer.rar I think it is a french installer, but it works like a charm.

After completely uninstalling your re-volt installation, try installing this one and see if it crashes with the new v1.2.

Thanks.
nope... get the same version after using your version too. installed it, replaced the old files with your new alpha build and nothing, it just crashes :/

by the way, thanks for the link to this version! it indeed seems much less buggy as the rip we currently have on abandonia. i will ask other guys and i think it would be even better if we replaced the current version with this one
Old 24-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #225
huki

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
nope... get the same version after using your version too. installed it, replaced the old files with your new alpha build and nothing, it just crashes :/

by the way, thanks for the link to this version! it indeed seems much less buggy as the rip we currently have on abandonia. i will ask other guys and i think it would be even better if we replaced the current version with this one
That is so strange, it was tested on 3 xp systems so far and works perfectly. Can you just confirm if the old re-volt versions (without my alpha patch) works on the same pc?

And thanks for testing for us. Feel free to update your current version with the revolt-race installer.
Old 24-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #226
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

yes it did. and now i can't even run the actual original re-volt after trying your new build, because it sometimes says `can't switch to 640x480 mode` and sometimes `can't create 3d device`, even after complete unistall and reinstall=/ (probably need to delete every trace of it from the registry)
Old 24-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #227
huki

About the original version's crashes, the new revolt doesnt mess with any registry entries. It is not possible for it to cause these crashes. If you are using the installer from revoltrace.net, the original one should not crash.

Anyway, to the interesting news: I found a guy today who had the crashing problem you had with my new build, and with his help, it is solved. You can quickly download the release here: http://www.mediafire.com/?3twff5rf8uz8bqk
Old 24-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #228
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

it simply must store something somewhere

either it is windows directory or registries, i completely uinstalled the game, installed it in another directory again from the installer that you linked me to before and i still get the message

DDERR_UNSUPORTED: can't switch to 640x480x16bit mode. in the background i also hear the sound when you plug out and plug in usb device for some reason

maybe the game itself stores something into registries after run(the installation version)

and nothing in my computer changed, the old abandonia re-vold rip still runs

by the way, i tried your updated version and it doesn't crash at the same place now but i get the same message that i get when trying to run a clean re-volt instal: DDERR_UNSUPPORTED: can't switch to bla bla

so i also tried running your new build on the abandonia's rip verison out of the curiousity and i get the DDERR_UNSUPPORTED message again..

i don't know what but some bad settings are stored from the installation version... and both your build and the original installation that you linked me to must refer to it

edit: now i also tried running the rip again after switching back from your build files and i also get the same message now i'm stuck with the dderr unsupported message everywhere now. going to go through the registries now

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 24-10-2010 at 03:59 PM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 24-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #229
huki

The only registry entries re-volt creates are these"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acclaim\Re-Volt\1.0

Delete the Re-Volt branch and all should be fine. But what you get is a directx error. Surely it must be related to your graphics card. You can try deleting this key first if you want.. If that doesn't work, i'll think of what else that could cause this (which sure is not the new build).

PS: could be linked to windows 98 compatibility mode. Try turning it on or off.
Old 24-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #230
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

just found 2 re-volt entries

hklm\software\acclaim\re-volt
hklm\software\microsoft\directplay\applications\re-volt

deleted both, reinstalled, no help. not sure what changed, i didn't install/update any drivers or anything similar. and i was playing re-volt just yesterday. tried compatibility mode too but no change neither. oh well

by the way, i noticed there are files mss16.dll and Mss32.dll, since it's trying to switch to 640x480x16 maybe that's the cause? maybe it somehow switched it's default settings to the 16 bit mode. could i somehow configure color mode/resolution manually?