Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #211
spoock

I playing MDK under Win XP SP2 on Athlon 3200+, 1 GB RAM and Geforce 6600GT without emulators as DOSBOX and without compatibility mod

You must after download:

1. copy basic dir (MDK without uderdir) to c:\ => c:\MDK\
2. Play c:\MDK\MDK95.exe

thats all

Old 04-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #212
skaler

I still have the original MDK CD. When I insert it, it gives me a Win95 or DOS choice, and one other.
How do I install it from a CD under WinXP? All of the discussion here seems to be about unzipping to a folder after downloading it from somewhere, and then downloading a patch.
Would some kind soul out there give me a step by step?
Thanks.
If I overlooked it, please forgive me and point me to the relevant previous post.
skaler is offline                         Send a private message to skaler
Old 04-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #213
JJXB
Pi-voh

install the win95 version, then download the MDK D3D Patch and Force feedback patch (links probably in earlier pages, not sure since i reviewed it that long ago) and it should work. haven't tried it on my new machine though mind you
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 07-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #214
skaler

Thanks JJXB. I can probably Google the D3D patch. That forcefeedback one-is that for the forcefeedback Microsoft Joystick? Surely not. I'll try and navigate around this discussion board and see what I can find. Thanks again for your reply. I appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #215
skaler

I went ahead and installed MDK from my CD, using JJXB's suggestion of choosing the win95 option.
It runs just fine. I did not install the D3D patch or anything else. I had a prompt to install the latest version of DirectX, I declined. It said installation aborted. I went to the directory where the game was installed, chose mdk95, and it runs just fine. Thanks for the help.
Old 30-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #216
Mrazerty
Forum hobbit

Really really really good game,but it's pretty frustrating when you die because it takes very long before you can save your game.
Mrazerty is offline                         Send a private message to Mrazerty
Old 04-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #217
stewie90

This game is spectacular!!!
and the sequel is better
stewie90 is offline                         Send a private message to stewie90
Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 AM   #218

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TaloN @ Dec 5 2004, 04:23 PM) [snapback]33964[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
MDK as far as i can remember does NOT stand for muder death kill.

there is millions of theorys as to what it means:

the 3 main characters had initials M , D and K for instance. it was never known what it really stood for.
[/b]

Old 05-08-2007, 06:39 AM   #219

As far as I know MDK stands for Mission: Deliver Kindness. I'm pretty sure the manual actually quotes this somewhere...if only I could find the thing!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #220
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

the meaning of "MDK" was never official and the press adopted it. each employee had his own version for the acronym

see wikipedia:
Quote:
While the actual meaning of the title's TLA is not revealed within the game, the gaming press and fans adopted Murder, Death, Kill, going with the game's tagline "On a good day, only 2.5 billion people will die". In interviews, Shiny employees each gave their own version - My Dog Ken; Max, Dr. Hawkins, and Kurt; Million Dollar KO; Maim Death Kill; Massive Dollops of Ketchup; Mother's Day Kisses; and My Diary something beginning with K. Yet another possibility is documented inside the game manual, where Kurt's mission is named Mission: Deliver Kindness. In the readme for the MDK demo, it is stated that nobody's quite sure what MDK means, it means what ever they need it to mean on that given day. Since the readme was penned on Mother's Day, the meaning for that particular day is "Mother's Day Kisses".

In the European version of the game, the background images of the installation program present many possible meanings for the letters M, D and K; some silly, some believable, and one of them "Murder, Death, Kill." The acronym MDK ("Murder Death Kill") itself dates back to the 1993 action movie Demolition Man, in which the term was used by the fictitious San Angeles Police Department of 2032 to denote homicide.

It is revealed in the "Making of MDK" booklet that came with the "Limited Edition" of the game that the term was actually the game's codename, when Shiny came around to coming up with a name for the game, they chose to stick with the codename.

However, there is no information available as to why "MDK" was chosen in the first place. The British computer magazine, PC Format, in a prelude to an interview they published with the Shiny director, said that the game was indeed called "Murder, Death, Kill" but was changed to "MDK" to give it a lower rating as the rating authorities in Britain felt it was too violent a name. This was then turned into a marketing campaign with various silly meanings for "MDK" given followed by a question mark, such as "Madonna Dates Kylie?".

In the installation screen for MDK 2, various meanings are shown scrolling down as a backdrop to Kurt diving through or to an unknown destination with "Murder, Death, Kill" highlighted.[/b]
by the way "Madonna Dates Kylie?" LOL