Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-03-2007, 02:15 AM   #201
The Presidant

Is it possible to edit files in Shadow President so that one can play as a different nation? It would be so awesome if it were possible to play as a different nation!

Old 27-03-2007, 06:55 AM   #202
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Doubtful. If the game designers did not allow the player to play with a nation different than US, it's likely they didn't even consider that possibility when programming the game engine.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #203
The Presidant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Mar 27 2007, 06:55 AM) [snapback]285152[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Doubtful. If the game designers did not allow the player to play with a nation different than US, it's likely they didn't even consider that possibility when programming the game engine.
[/b]
Too bad... I really can't seem to find any good world simulation games like it these days... If the company would still exist I would suggest them to make a new one where one can play as any nation. If there was only a way to edit it...

Old 27-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #204
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Try Hearts of Iron 2 if you're interested in a newer "world simulation" game where you can play as any nation, it's a great game.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 28-03-2007, 06:02 AM   #205
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Mar 22 2007, 08:07 PM) [snapback]284584[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Can anyone help? The game does start but it stops at the Shadow President logo, I can't play.
[/b]
The game also crashes when I try to play it. The system I used is Windows 98.

However, the game did worked before on that computer.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 28-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #206
The Presidant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Havell @ Mar 27 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]285266[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Try Hearts of Iron 2 if you're interested in a newer "world simulation" game where you can play as any nation, it's a great game.
[/b]
I have HOI 2 Doomsday, a very great game! However I am looking for an extream realistic world simulation (of the modern world) that allows basically any reforms and actions, ie Social reforms, military action, espionage, economic growth, UN leading (ie one can play with the nation's UN delegate and can help bring about peace (or war).

Old 30-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #207
The Presidant

Is there no way to edit a couple files for the game? maybe changing names of things, or editing ideologies. (I mean they all have letters next to them so it would make sense that these letters are editable in some file (s).

Old 31-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #208
KPJ

k:
This game is so incredible! The only drawback is that the interface is a little bit difficult to deal with.
I haven't figured it all out, but here are some tips if you find yourself scratching your head like I was for the first few hours.
First off, I don't think that you can really invade the Soviet Union. The simulation is based on the political delicacy of the Cold War, there are plenty of great games where you can have a lot more fun as a warmonger. Take the game a little bit seriously, it's a balancing act- if you act like Hitler you will end up like Hitler. For this game we have to take a page out of the books of Reagan and the Bushes. What I mean by this is that there is plenty of conquering to be done, but you have to be sneaky, you have to grease the right palms, and you have to trick weaker nations into helping you.
Now, playing this game in 2007 is a little disorienting. It's hard to remember the climate of 1990, at least for me (born 84). As a history buff I really enjoy this aspect of the game, but it did throw me for a bit of a turn. Obviously we have the 2 "800 pound gorillas" in the room- USA and USSR. There are also a number of nations who are important for their own unique reasons.
For example, Turkey is an early ally of the USA, and a very valuable one. By keeping a good relationship with Turkey you can influence their actions in two important ways. Firstly, if you are worried about warmongerers like Iraq getting high 'Ambition' rating, you can use your influence in Turkey to reduce military tension in the area. Secondly, if and when diplomatic means fail, placing soldiers in Turkey can threaten both the Iraqis and the Soviets.
Other important things about 1990 are these: Iran is still incredibly weak, though they are nonetheless the same Islamo-Fascists that are now represented by Ahmoud Ahmadinejad. Either work with them to improve their quality of life and ethics- removing fuel from the Jihadi fire- or blockade them and remove the Islamic government from power.
China is not the industrial superpower that it is today, 17 years later. Their economic boom was only just beginning in the 90s. These are communists, and not the watered down type that run China today. Don't let that scare you though, they love American money and have philosophical differences from the USSR. With or without removing their government, you can probably make an ally out of China if you spend a bit of time working with them. By giving them aid, having cultural exchanges, and increasing economic cooperation, you can make an American-friendly China with a great quality of life, and less human rights abuses.
Canada, Mexico, and most of Western Europe are good allies, with strong economies and sizeable diplomatic and military strength. Building relationships with these nations is good for economy, ethic, and to have allies in case of wars.
Flexing Your Might Against Mighty Russia:
This is an example game, my first serious game after messing around learning the controls.
Early on, I put sanctions on Iraq, placed troops in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and the Saudi-Iraqi Neutral Zone. I put about 300-400,000 troops in each of those three places, meaning my forces surrounding Iraq numbered about 1.3 million strong. Remember, Iraq's army is 2 million strong, and numerical advantages are no laughing matter. This force was strong enough to dissuade Iraq from doing anything stupid, though it may have been a bad decision in the long run, because it created escalation efforts from Iraq. But escalation was not a Kuwaiti invasion, so the Middle East was temporarily dealt with.
This was all around the first few days. Throughout the following week troops were arriving in the Middle East, and I also decided to place troops in Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and a new ally, Haiti (so destitute they'll do anything for a few pennies). Other soldiers were gathered around the coast of Florida (place troops in Cuba- and it gives these as options).
Then began the condemnation of Cuba. We condemned them many times, didn't want that Castro to have any power. With economic sanctions in place, we angered their population enough that Castro's Leadership rating suffered greatly.
With a few Surgical Strikes, the Cuban nation was completely in chaos. Our invasion forces, with help from the British stationed in Jamaica, were able to conquer Cuba before the end of July. Approval ratings during the war were very low, but after we established a Developing Capitalism and restored Old Havana, those ratings went through the roof.
By this time, we could remove soldiers from the Carribbean for the most part (leaving some behind to maintain order in Cuba). Inspecting Iraq, we discovered that they were working on constructing Nuclear Power. This simply would not do. We asked them to stop, we really did, but they just wouldn't listen. As their Ambition rating climbed through the roof we decided to destroy their nuclear capabilities with a Precision Strike. When we did finally attack Iraq, it was still with the smaller force fo 1.3 million, but the Turks added their 800,000 to the force, making the numbers about even. Using a few more Precision Strikes the Iraq war was finished by Decembre, with a new American-friendly government in place.

Hope any of this helps somebody, I can't explain how much I love this game! Thank you so much Abandonia,
Kyle, a long time reader, and first time poster

Old 02-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #209
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Is there no way to edit a couple files for the game? maybe changing names of things, or editing ideologies. (I mean they all have letters next to them so it would make sense that these letters are editable in some file (s).[/b]
Maybe there is, maybe there is not.
What's sure is that there doesn't seem to be a write-up on the subject anywhere, so you'll have to figure that out by yourself.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #210
bosiydid

I'd also like to play CyberJudas. There was a post that said Chips and Bits sells it but I was unable to locate it on their website or any other for that matter. I think even Chips and Bits is done selling this game. I can't find any outlet that does carry it. Any ideas where I can get it? Man, I loved this game when I was a kid used to spend hours and hours playing it.