Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
SupSuper
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Mar 2 2006, 03:55 PM
@Gelfo: A what now?

@Kearnsy: There shouldn't be any white words in there... Nor yellow :blink:
- http://www.kawaiiwigs.net/wig.php?id=5

- He means the white text on the yellow/red buttons on the left side :P

Very nice work, I've been looking into learning PHP/mySQL, how did you learn? I've gone to the PHP website but the documentation is HUUUGE and would probably blow up my printer, so I don't really know how to get started into it (for free of course ).
Some minor flaws:
- On the Quotes page, this happens:
Quote:
[ # | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q ] [ R | S | T | U |
]

[ V | W | X | Y | Z ]
And I suppose you want this:
Quote:
[ # | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q ] [ R | S | T | U | ]

[ V | W | X | Y | Z ]
- As neat as the website is, there's no way of bookmarking something other than the home page. This might be just my pickyness, but I really hate it when websites are like that :P
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper
Old 02-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #12
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

The contents's put in by the owner, through a contents management part in the admin page. She's put those links in there. 's Not my doing, but the owner's :whistle: Once I know how to do stuff like BBCode tags and looking for unclosed tags, then closing them, I can fix that, making divs that'll fix things like that, together with a bit of Javascript so she can click a button that'll place the tags for her, which'll fix that all. I'm afraid I don't know how to do the tags-checking yet, though, or to at least keep unclosed tags from influencing the next div.

I see now what you mean with the white text. Again, that's not my doing. The owner gave me one big-behind pic and told me the site had to look like that. I cut out the header, footer, buttons, etc. Those buttons had that white text on there already when I got them, and I'd probably hear 'bout it if I'd've changed it. I already heard 'bout it that I added my name at the bottom <_<

The bookmarking thing does work with the wigs, as she explicitely asked for that. Aside from that, I'm still looking into search engine accessability, as apparently, it's an issue with that as well. It's easily fixed by passing the variables on through the URL, but I'm not too fond of that. It's a bit of a security risk, as people'll be able to fiddle 'round with it and possible, although it shouldn't be possible the way I coded the site, could change things they shouldn't be allowed to change.

As for the Php.net documentation, it's best to just put a keyword in in the Search-button, like if you're looking for mySQL functions, entering mySQL in there, or if you're looking for filehandling, putting file in there. Otherwise, it's hard as hell to find your way in it, indeed.

Also, you might want to start with w3schools' PHP classes. They'll teach you the very basics you need.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 02-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
plix
Game freak

After you've used any C-esq programming language for a while you'll start to memorize the function names. Once you've done that the PHP quick reference URLs are invaluable. For example, http://php.net/file.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 02-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #14
chickenman
Hero Gamer

And if you want to test PHP scripts, you should run a PHP compatible webserver, such as Apache (www.apache.org) (Note: I have had problems install PHP on the windows version)

Edit: Not a bad site, if your looking for a wig :P
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 02-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #15
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Actually, it's best to install an offline server for testing purposes. I myself use Xammp, which's quick and easy to set up and even easier in use afterwards. At any rate, I'm planning on sending a patch to the owner soon, as she's been asking to put in some CSS to change the colour of the links. Going to add a header title too, and'll give each page a separate link by passing a variable through its URL. Figured out a way that'll hold no security risk whatsoever, and it'll boost search engine hits.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki