Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Japo
Autonomous human

The specific controls are in a separate document called "technical supplement", since the manual is the same for every platform (Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore 64).
Old 17-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
The specific controls are in a separate document called "technical supplement", since the manual is the same for every platform (Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore 64).
I scanned the technical supplement as well.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 17-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
Duda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquire View Post
Great game.... but I can't figure out a lot of the controls.
Just experiment

Some of the main are 1,2,3,4... and Z,X,C... , i.e. the whole row of keys

Hope it helps.
Duda is offline                         Send a private message to Duda
Old 18-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #14
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Link to keyboard control document removed.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor

Last edited by Geezer; 27-02-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Removed link to keyboard controls document .. uploaded it to site.
Old 20-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
humorguy
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
Wow! I'm not sure which is bigger the manual for this game or the Clancy novel. It's a really nice manual but it's 100 pages. I might have a hard time getting it below the 11MB limit. I'll see what I can do. Judging by the looks of it the manual would make the game much easier and enjoyable to play. I'll scan the map and keyboard templates as well.

BTW, I want 100 extra pieces of eight for this one. lol

EDIT: OK, since the manual is divided into three sections I am going to scan each one as a separate document.
1. The Operations Manual
2. The Captains Manual
3. The Reference Manual

Don't get confused by the page numbers.
JMB - Having just downloaded all the 'extras' I have to say a huge big thank-you for all your hard work on these items! The way you even highlighted the contents of each manual section, to show the reader what part of the whole manual was being read was extra professional in my book! The quality of the scanning was also impressive! So a big thumbs up to you M8 - and realise at least 0.2 of the 4.6 scored for this game is because of the documentation!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 20-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Always glad to do what I can. We can be grateful that Abandonia places an emphasis on hosting the documents as well. There are so many games (like this one) that would be difficult to play without the manual. When you read the docs the game enters a new level of realism.
Old 14-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
Robsie
Forum hobbit

I am a big fan of modern submarine warfare (i don't really like WW2 sub games though), and i play often with Sonalyst/Jane serie 688i Hunter Killer, Sub Command and Dangerous Waters.

After toying around with Red Storm Rising, i just can't believe i missed that game for so long.
It is an incredible game, certainly not as realistic as the other sub sim i play as the combats are a bit simplified in the detection department, but the campaign is way more interesting than them due to its dynamic nature.

Microprose was really something, it is sad there is no such modern sub sim made with this kind of dynamic world and only ww2 sub sim ones have some.
Old 14-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

if I could code, I would wanna make a modern sub sim, but it would placed in either the Pacific or atlantic or indian ocean. It would be derived from the game 'Submarine Simulation' because you could actually go pretty much anywhere in that game, which is why it was so awesomeness.

Cept it would be like a freeplay sort of game, where you will like get a mission like 'Sail to the Sea of Japan and spend a 1 week patrol of the area there' or 'Oh Noez red october is going to America!' or something, or you could be a rouge and nuke Russia or something awesome like that

But i dont have coding abilities. Unti lthen, ill have to do with this great game
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 13-01-2009, 02:57 AM   #19
Unregisteredd

I actually own the DOS version of this game, red box and all. Unfortunately, a) I lost the floppy disks a long time ago, b) even if I hadn't lost them they probably wouldn't work anymore (magnetic media like floppy disks do actually go bad in 10 years or less), and c) my latest computer doesn't have a floppy drive anyway.

I loved playing this game. Some may have a problem with the fact that the battles are often very slow and ponderous, but if you try to fight them too fast you just end up dead. Things like torpedo trajectory matter, and the AI is surprisingly smart, and will attempt to trace back a torpedo based on where it came from. They zig-zag through the water so you can't reliably sneak up on their rear. The diesel-electrics are practically ghosts until they surface for air. Destroying a convoy while remaining undetected is very satisfying. Playing the game in the Seawolf time period is arguably a cheat. Some of the "future weapons" are just there for the sake of making the game easy, like the swimout torpedoes which don't produce a launch signature.

Great game, and hopefully I'll be able to get it working in dosbox so I can play it again.

Old 13-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #20
Unregisteredd

The game works, but now I don't know what key to press to confirm an acoustic signature. It's not on the keyboard overlay in the PDF. Enter doesn't work. Shift+enter doesn't work. The manual says to "hold down the Vessel Signatures key [which is shift?] while pressing the Confirm Choice key [which is apparently not enter?]." I've tried most key combinations that aren't marked and nothing seems to work.